Sakowitz Building Conversion To Retail & Garage At 1111 Main St.

houstonsemipro

10harass.jpg

The American Apparel store at 712 Broadway, with the trademark photographs.

July 10, 2005

His Way Meets a Highway Called Court

By MIREYA NAVARRO

LOS ANGELES

THERE is no question that Dov Charney is an unconventional chief executive.

As the founder of American Apparel, the T-shirt and casual wear chain sometimes called an alternative Gap, Mr. Charney decorates stores with covers of Penthouse and Oui magazines from the 70's, admits in interviews to engaging in sexual relationships with women who work for him, and once exposed himself for an ad in a gay magazine, all in the name of personal freedom.

Read More...

That's a shame. Here, you have a guy and a company telling all of the 'Fortress America' types that you don't have to import everything from China to get a product made well at a competitive price, and then the messenger overshadows the message.

Hopefully, the story of the company survives the man who runs it.

• 1 month later...
Here are some photos taken by WesternGulf @ SSP who claims these were taken Monday.

10013847ze.jpg

10013859fg.jpg

I really didn't think AP would open up in Downtown I hope AP attracts more retail because this is exacly what downtown needs in order for people to visit Downtown. Maybe with Downtown Foley's becoming a Macy's and the Houston Pavillions in a year or two Downtown will boom.

I hope you know that you just can't build areas like this.

Why not? If I had the money??? Say I was Bill Gates with billions of dollars, I sure would develope an area like this in Houston, and a smaller in my home town Bryan/College Station. You can't say because of zoning, because Houston does not have it. Just imagine developing an area in the style of old rowhouses with big windows displaying whats in side. It would be very cool. I would also try to get high end stores that are not in the Galleria to come to my development. I am telling you this could work! What I want to know is how do developers get the money to fund projects like this? Because this is exactly what I want to do with my life be a developer.

Why not? If I had the money??? Say I was Bill Gates with billions of dollars, I sure would develope an area like this in Houston, and a smaller in my home town Bryan/College Station. You can't say because of zoning, because Houston does not have it. Just imagine developing an area in the style of old rowhouses with big windows displaying whats in side. It would be very cool. I would also try to get high end stores that are not in the Galleria to come to my development. I am telling you this could work! What I want to know is how do developers get the money to fund projects like this? Because this is exactly what I want to do with my life be a developer.

I guess you have never been to Newbury Street in Boston. Places like that evolve and are not built overnight. The way you are speaking, you sound like you would build an Atlantic Station type development which is something I was looking to see the outcome of but looks very sterile and one of those built overnight communities. Retail along Newbury Street was incorporated into actual neighborhoods that were already there, kind of like what downtown Houston is doing now, not built at one time to make for a generic, souless, cookie cutter type atmosphere. That's why I am sometimes afraid of what you want to see done in Houston sometimes, because it may not be the outcome that you are looking for.

Yes I have, about 2 years ago was the last time. Being there, I like it but everytime I some where like Boston or NYC I always miss Texas and end up liking Houston even more.

If I were to develope something like this I would do it the same as you see Newbury, I would not take any short cuts the only thing that will be missing is the history.

boston_03.jpg

Well I am not talking about the entire area around Newbury, I was just talking the street, and not even that big.

My uncle and his wife live not to far from there in a suburb of Boston. For some reason they hate it and can't wait to move to Houston as soon as they sell their house.

I guess you have never been to Newbury Street in Boston.  Places like that evolve and are not built overnight.  The way you are speaking, you sound like you would build an Atlantic Station type development which is something I was looking to see the outcome of but looks very sterile and one of those built overnight communities.  Retail along Newbury Street was incorporated into actual neighborhoods that were already there, kind of like what downtown Houston is doing now, not built at one time to make for a generic, souless, cookie cutter type atmosphere.  That's why I am sometimes afraid of what you want to see done in Houston sometimes, because it may not be the outcome that you are looking for.

Tis pointless, eh?

And yes, ATL station does look quite sterile, especially some of the lofts/THs. In fact, some of the auto-centered lofts in midtown look better than the ones in ATL station. In fact, ATL station is not what I would consider an "insta-Street"- its more of an "Insta town". I mean, you have your ugly townhomes (clad in shingles, in fact) your generic, bland looking apartments, your little office buildings, and a town square.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 years later...
The first floor of the former Sakowitz department store is being renovated.  Excellent location on Main Street adjacent to Macy's and the Houston Pavilions.  On the LightRail line, with access to the tunnel.  

EST. SQUARE FEET / 1,000 - 25,000

http://www.downtownhouston.org/retail/available-space/30/

• Like 2

The first floor of the former Sakowitz department store is being renovated.  Excellent location on Main Street adjacent to Macy's and the Houston Pavilions.  On the LightRail line, with access to the tunnel.  

EST. SQUARE FEET / 1,000 - 25,000

http://www.downtownhouston.org/retail/available-space/30/

how strange.  isn't this the same retail edifice that one of our members recently stated would be renovated / transformed into a bloomingdales?  wow, go figure.  also, why on earth would any entity waste money renovating just the first floor of this massive building... truly strange indeed.

oh i highly doubt this!  i have visited the bloomingdales store in dubai, uae, upon many times.  bloomingdales, does not play second fiddle to noone.  it's either the WHOLE building... or no building!  and this is.. as per monarch.

As per Monarch's question, renovating the first floor would provide the vaunted Ground Floor Retail.  Bloomie's could still go upstairs (if that's in the works) - think of it as a vertical mall.

• Like 1

So, 9.5 years after the original post, it seems like there may be some activity?

Whoot!

I don't know about this. Urbannizer is amongst the most reliable & highly regarded sources on this board but that link has some outdated information, coupled with an old rendering from the old Amarican Apparel renovation that didn't happen. (No offense, Urbannizer, I hope you're right on this too)

I hope some big retailer makes this design happen. Not just 1 floor, the whole building. Do the edifice justice. We lost Macy's but we could still regain that throwback Downtown Department store Macy's was (with a better design) if Sakowitz is done right. If a Dallas St Shopping District is to happen, it's starts with Sakowitz.

5caaf17e258e78542c7c768b2c533a72.jpg

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1