You Can't Go Home Again

Scott08

Saturday, I decided to ride my bike from my current home in the Heights and go explore the 'hood of my youth, the Spring Branch area. I grew up in a MCM that my father designed and had built in what I believe is called "Spring Branch Oaks" near Long Point and Campbell. The house has now been remuddled several times and the only real MCM feature you can still see is the celestory windows at one end of the house. Sad, but I kind of empathize, as growing up these were just "houses," I never knew there was anything special about them until much later in my life. Actually there are lots of MCM's in the Spring Branch area and although some have been tortured many more are still pretty original. I have a theory, at least for Houston area MCM's. There seems to be 3 kinds/price ranges of MCM's. 1. The expensive ones that were custom built in "nice" neighborhoods like River Oaks, Memorial, Meyerland, etc. Some are still in really good shape but their location makes them very expensive and prime contenders for teardowns as their land is frequently seen as more valuable than their style. 2. The cheaper MCM's, neighborhoods such as Sharpstown, Ridgecrest, and others, where they were originally solid middle class, but have gone into or through "transition." Some of these houses are pretty original still, but some have been remodeled by people actively trying to get rid of the modern look with some pretty tacky reno's. 3. The middle class MCM's, such as where I grew up and Glenbrook Valley. Here is where you might still find some really cool original houses, but must accept that the neighborhoods are also not exactly as pristine as they once were. I think I fall into the typical category of MCM lovers, doing okay financially but not in a position to buy $1 million dollar homes. I'm probably not brave enough to go too far into a transitional neighborhood, so my only hope is being at the right place/right time for one of the middle-ground houses when they become available. Thanks for listening to my ramblings, I'll bring a camera next time I'm on one of my rides.

I totally understand where you are coming from and appreciate your ramble! I am in love with any MCM home. Although not original MCM's, there is a neighborhood in Spring (not Spring Branch, but up 45N in Spring, TX) called Enchanted Oaks where you can find MCM-like homes built in the 70s. I have no idea what builders developed that neighborhood, but there are some really neat designs. I believe the homes in this neighborhood are under $200K for sure.

Saturday, I decided to ride my bike from my current home in the Heights and go explore the 'hood of my youth, the Spring Branch area. I grew up in a MCM that my father designed and had built in what I believe is called "Spring Branch Oaks" near Long Point and Campbell. The house has now been remuddled several times and the only real MCM feature you can still see is the celestory windows at one end of the house. Sad, but I kind of empathize, as growing up these were just "houses," I never knew there was anything special about them until much later in my life. Actually there are lots of MCM's in the Spring Branch area and although some have been tortured many more are still pretty original. I have a theory, at least for Houston area MCM's. There seems to be 3 kinds/price ranges of MCM's. 1. The expensive ones that were custom built in "nice" neighborhoods like River Oaks, Memorial, Meyerland, etc. Some are still in really good shape but their location makes them very expensive and prime contenders for teardowns as their land is frequently seen as more valuable than their style. 2. The cheaper MCM's, neighborhoods such as Sharpstown, Ridgecrest, and others, where they were originally solid middle class, but have gone into or through "transition." Some of these houses are pretty original still, but some have been remodeled by people actively trying to get rid of the modern look with some pretty tacky reno's. 3. The middle class MCM's, such as where I grew up and Glenbrook Valley. Here is where you might still find some really cool original houses, but must accept that the neighborhoods are also not exactly as pristine as they once were. I think I fall into the typical category of MCM lovers, doing okay financially but not in a position to buy $1 million dollar homes. I'm probably not brave enough to go too far into a transitional neighborhood, so my only hope is being at the right place/right time for one of the middle-ground houses when they become available. Thanks for listening to my ramblings, I'll bring a camera next time I'm on one of my rides.

I like your summary. I think you are basically right about your observations. I jumped on the chance to buy my modern house in Glenbrook Valley 4 years ago because of much of what you are saying. It was a good house in mostly original condition in a good old and somewhat forgotten 1950s neighborhood. I don't think the most recent Glenbrook Valley news has been discussed on this forum, but I don't know for sure. There is a core group of relatively new residents who have been actively working toward a historic designation for Glenbrook Valley. This has been ongoing and was aimed primarily at starting with a small section of the neighborhood on or near Cayton streeet where there was a 1954 Parade of Homes. Recently however, the City of Houston selected Glenbrook Valley and the Woodland Heights neighborhood for a Project Leadership program in neighborhood preservation. This gives our preservation effort a huge amount of support from the City and some fresh enthusiasm. We are now determined to apply fo a designation for our entire neighborhood. I think that a designation for Glenbrrok Valley will be hugely important in preserving the original houses and character of the neighborhood. So far, for whatever reason, Glenbrook Valley has sat largely untouched by developers and new construction. There is a window of opportunity for the neighborhood to apply for the historic district and recieve the protection the city's oridinance provides before the wrong people (the ones who build McMansions) figure out how nice and affordable the neighborhood is. I think then the neighborhood can improve and increase in value at a healthy rate without succumbing to developers, new construction and skyrocketing property values that lead to teardowns. This will be a unique situation in Houston. If we get the designation it will be the only post war historic neighborhood and the only historic neighborhood outside the loop. Thanks for the post and for the chance to update everyone on Glenbrook Valley's preservation effort progress!

^That is fantastic news about the neighborhood - please keep us posted on your efforts..

I second that...what great news to hear about Glenbrook Valley. Keep us posted. So many of the older neighborhoods are changing, as land near town is declared more valuable. Nice to know one may be left somewhat intact. And one that I grew up greatly influenced by, even better.

There ARE a few mcmansions that have gotten into Glenbrook Valley. I hope the remaining mcm's will be saved.

There really ARE NOT McMansions in Glenbrook Valley. There are about 1250 houses in the neighborhood and there are two newer houses that I can think of that were built in an innappropriate scale and style in relation to the rest of the neighborhood. That is why I described the neighborhood as "largely untouched". Nothing was bulldozed to put these up...one of these was built on a vacant lot and one on a lot where a fire burned down the original. The highly visable one on Santa Elena and Broadway may be the one of two you are referring to. Luckily there are enforced deed restrictions in Glenbrook Valley and those two were built within the setbacks (No Lotliners Allowed) established by the deed restrictions and enforced by the Civic Club.

Now, I am not saying there aren't some bad additions or remodels etc! But, Mcmansions are not a problem at this time. The neighborhood contains over 1200

Archived