Where To Live In Houston

blackdog

Hi All!

Got the big map of Houston up on the wall and am marking off areas according to your comments.  Thanks!

When you mention "The Village", where do you mean?  I've found lots of villages on the map...

What about West University Place?  Seems like a nice area, probably within 45 mins for my drive, and what about the schools?  Are they ok?

Thanks again!

-blackdog

Yeah West U is awesome. The Village area everyones talking about is pretty much connected to West U.

I called some friends that work at fire station 51 (Sharpstown: Bellaire @ Blintiff) and fire station 10 (Corporate @ Bellaire) and they denied ever hearing the sound of automatic gun-fire at night. Now, they without a doubt make more shootings than any other area of the city, but they rarely ever make a gun-shot victim with multiple gun shots wounds that could be indicative of automatic gunfire - much less hear it going off at night.

So, if you're shot by a bullet fired from a single-shot gun, it's somehow better than if you're hit by a bullet from an automatic weapon?

Please.

Perhaps things have changed a bit in the past 8 years, but it sure doesn't look like they have. About 8 years ago, I lived near Gessner and Richmond, in a townhouse that seemed really nice, with well-manicured landscaping, in the heart of Westchase. On a couple of occasions I hit the floor in my own apartment, because of rapid-fire gunshots that sounded too close for comfort. I assumed they were automatic, as they were fired faster than anyone could possibly squeeze the trigger.

I heard on the news about murders at the gas stations nearby. I heard about Jamaicans and Columbians fighting over turf boundaries on Gessner, south of Harwin. That seemed really close, too. A strip of Fondren, just a few blocks over and a mile south or so, was called out in the newspaper as the center of Houston's crack trade. They showed dots on a map locating busts over a 6-month period and the whole thing was dots.

As soon as my lease was up, I left. Now, maybe things are better. Maybe they're only killing each other with .45 Magnums now. It's still not the kind of place I'd invest my $300,000, for all the fake Prada on Harwin. I think Westchase is a toilet. It looks pretty nice -- it's well landscaped and many of the homes seem remarkably well kept, but take a second look -- how many are for sale or rent? How many are owner-occupied? How many crappy Sam's Boat-type slackjawwed dipshit joints are all over there? And how many acts of murder, arson, rape and assault does it take before you recommend someone from out of town look elsewhere? Especially someone who claims to enjoy walking to pubs and jazz clubs and living in a pedestrian-friendly urban area.

Oh, and yes..."The Village" is the commercial area and centerpiece of West University Place.

"Perhaps things have changed a bit in the past 8 years, but it sure doesn't look like they have. About 8 years ago, I lived near Gessner and Richmond, in a townhouse that seemed really nice, with well-manicured landscaping, in the heart of Westchase. On a couple of occasions I hit the floor in my own apartment, because of rapid-fire gunshots that sounded too close for comfort. I assumed they were automatic, as they were fired faster than anyone could possibly squeeze the trigger." (quote, dalparadise)

it's a shame about that part of westchase, the area around gessner/richmond. i have a good friend who owns a condo at tanglewilde south II, just around the corner from emerson elementary. despite the landscaping, immaculate pool and well maintained units her property values just keep going down. it's mostly lease units because every time someone wants to buy one, unless it's cash it's not well enough owner-occupied to get financing. back in '96 when she bought in, there was a 24hr armed guard - the association decided to save money and cancel the security and now it's pretty much a free-for-all with people walking through and cars stolen and getting broken into. my friend's had enough and is planning on moving in may and leasing the place out.

when we started talking about the area and comparing now to then, one of the biggest culprits we agreed upon is the apartments and nightclubs which have grown in much larger proportion than any other respectable development. the one across the street from her condo, "the gables" is the worst - gunfire all the time, cops busting down doors and nearly impossible to walk around the corner to the stop & go anymore, even in broad daylight. these apartments are listed online as section 8 hud housing, which no disrespect meant to anyone on public housing but often times it's where a lot of criminal activity takes place. funny to see the gables advertising all their high class properties, when we've always associated that name with the slums. the stop & go (richmond/ocee) was recently on tv for a hold-up and the perp was shooting it out with police. technically my friend's area is not "westchase" because that area starts after gessner, but it's right on the border. the big difference is the westchase business district and homeowner associations are pro-active and have worked hard to improve the quality of the westchase district. briarmeadow has an active association closer to hilcroft, but on richmond from dunvale to gessner very little if anything is being done about eyesore apartments and crime infested clubs. until this changes i could not recommend the area to anyone, local or newcomer.

debmartin

Guest danax

^ We all know the correlation between low income and low lifestyles that include crime, and we all know that there are a lot of good people that have little money. However the only way to cleanse an area like that is through the disinfecting action of gentrification, which, unfortunately, forces some decent people out too.

These little pockets will eventually get de-fragged although the process in Houston is a bit slow.

Consider looking at Kerry Glen - right by Woodway and Voss. I lived there twice (With my cousin in my single days and with my wife when we were first married) and the complex is amazing. They're all privately owned but you may be able to find something in your price range. We absolutely loved living there - green, quiet, security, etc. It really has it all and it is all bills paid. I can't tell you how much I recommend this place. Some units even overlook the bayou.

You'll need a real estate agent to find a place in there and I can refer you to one who can help. It's a jewel of a complex. Trust me.

Kerry Glen

http://www.har.com/cs_forlease.htm

Personally I wouldn't put too much stock in the comments on apartment ratings.com. My perspective may be a bit tainted, since I was once in the apartment business. When you have 300 to 400 units, you just can't please all the people all of the time. Sooner or later someone gets bitter because, I don't know, you charged them a late fee because they paid late. Or they left thousands in damages and didn't get their $100 deposit back.

Of course there is a lot of bad management and poor customer service out there as well. So I would look for common threads in the comments and try to decipher fact from fiction.

Hey td--I thought of you yesterday when I saw on Channel 13 that Kerry Glen had caught fire! I about fell off my chair, my husband thought I was crazy :lol: I said, "Hey, I know someone who lived there......well, sorta know......" :lol:

Did you see that on the news? :o

We are really doing a good job finding these people a nice place to live. First a trashy automatic gunfire laden violent borderline slum toilet (all of which is incorrect by the way) and then a fire trap apartment with aluminum wiring. Would you like any other suggestions?

Hey td--I thought of you yesterday when I saw on Channel 13 that Kerry Glen had caught fire! I about fell off my chair, my husband thought I was crazy I said, "Hey, I know someone who lived there......well, sorta know......"

Yeah... well... that really sucked. We loved living there but I stand by my suggestion. We would live there again.

Well, for what it's worth, Georgetown caught fire too, two years ago. Destroyed 6 2000+ sq.ft. townhomes. They're all rebuilt now and beautiful!! I am sure Kerry Glen will recover and be right back to where it used to be. :)

Hi Forum!

Thanks for the suggestion(s). I think we've found a place to rent: Woodway Square on 1200 Winrock Blvd. I'm visiting town next weekend to check it out. Seems to be very dog friendly and pretty safe (Hey, only 4 burglaries on that street thus far this year! ;) )

Anyone have personal experience there?

I've learned a lot about Houston from these discussions; feel like we'll be able to hit the ground running - which is fantastic!

Aloha,

blackdog

Yes my stint helping to market Regency Arms (Winrock & San Felipe) taught me that area is a little sketchy. It was frightening and it seemed like there was nobody good coming through the front door to replace the ones you would kick out.

dalparadise and rps324,

So can you suggest something better, that meets the criteria outlined when I started this thread?

(Safe, dog-friendly, within 45mins of where I'll be working - intersection of Hwy 6 S and Briar Forest, close to either running trails or walkable nightlife, perhaps Memorial or West University)

Texasdago has thus far been the only one to offer a suggestion - which looked really nice, but just had a fire.

Anything else out there?

Thanks all!

-blackdog

dalparadise and rps324,

So can you suggest something better, that meets the criteria outlined when I started this thread?

(Safe, dog-friendly, within 45mins of where I'll be working - intersection of Hwy 6 S and Briar Forest, close to either running trails or walkable nightlife, perhaps Memorial or West University)

Texasdago has thus far been the only one to offer a suggestion - which looked really nice, but just had a fire.

Anything else out there?

Thanks all!

-blackdog

Woodway square should be fine. It is kind of unto itself.

Oh wow! Highway 6 and Briar Forest? I used to live right on Eldridge (The Parkway in between Westheimer and Memorial Dr.) and that is a GREAT area with gorgeous, mostly new apartments at a reasonable rate. Terry Hershey Park is right there. There is also a TON of greenspace, and a brand-new Kroger Signature grocery store on the corner. It is a very upscale, growing area that is surrounded by Kickerillo's (a developer here) gated communities. I highly recommend it.

Here is some info on the area along with a map:

Map of Area

Here are the apartment complexes on Eldridge and Briar Forest (they are all built within the past 5 years and are very nice):

The Lexington

The Biarritz

Amli on Eldridge Parkway (this is where I used to live; it was called "The Lodge on the Parkway" initially)

Chandler Park

San Montego (I lived in the sister property to this one down by the Med Center--by far the best apartment living ever! Sueba is a great builder and you feel like you are in a home, not an apartment. Gated with a guard.)

The Retreat at Eldridge

There are two restaurants I love that are within walking distance: Cafe Taipei (the best fried rice in Houston) and Cafe Red Onion (excellent Mexican food). There's a brand-new McDonald's, Walgreens, and Chase Bank. We still go to our Veterinarian over there at West Houston Veterinary Associates right at Briar Forest about 1/8 mile from Eldridge. There's a Carvel ice cream place, a day spa, a dry cleaner, and a Hallmark Store all right there. Hope that helps!!

Good luck and if you have any questions about the area please feel free to ask.

I just can't seem to suggest anything out on Eldridge. Yes... the area is nice but it's just too far.

Kerry Glen will be just fine... it's a large complex. When we lived there, Hakeem Olajuwon had one big unit (used to be two units) just below ours. We spotted Barkley and Drexler there a couple of times and his family was always around.

If anything, there are plenty of bills-paid options off of Ripple Creek... Woodway Glen, etc.

As for Winrock, having lived theere, the further north, the better.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Forum,

Well, I wanted to close out this thread by reporting that we are now living in "Woodway Square" at the intersection of Woodway Rd. and Winrock. It seems really great - we've had great interactiions with our neighbors and are really enjoying the area. Mountain biking in Memorial Park this morning was great!

Thanks for all the info these past couple of weeks. Now we're on to the house hunt!

-blackdog

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Forum!

Thanks for the suggestion(s).  I think we've found a place to rent: Woodway Square on 1200 Winrock Blvd.  I'm visiting town next weekend to check it out.  Seems to be very dog friendly and pretty safe (Hey, only 4 burglaries on that street thus far this year! ;) )

Anyone have personal experience there?

I've learned a lot about Houston from these discussions; feel like we'll be able to hit the ground running - which is fantastic!

Aloha,

blackdog

My wife used to live on Winrock. They have some nice townhomes back there. The area is good, as far as I know. The apartment my wife shared was nice. The only thing to be concerned about is traffic on Westheimer and perhaps San Felipe during rush hour. Any idea where you'll be working? I'd recommend living inside the loop for the first few months, that way the burbs and the city will be accessible.

• The title was changed to Where To Live In Houston Part 2

Archived