Looking To Move To Cinco Ranch Could Use A Guiding Hand

inetcfg

Hey guys,

My wife and I have been looking to escape the inner city life, and have focused out efforts on finding a new home in Katy, specifically Cinco Ranch area.

One of our "must-haves" is quick and easy access to a major tollway. We are both working professionals with jobs in the Galleria area, so we need to cut down on traffic as much as possible.

Anyway, we really like Grand Lakes (Phase 3), as the homes are newer and it's very close to the Westpark Tollway.

I was hoping some the area residents could lend a few words on what they think about the Grand Lakes Phase 3 subdivision.

We were also looking at the Greenway Village subdivision, but the houses are older, and we didn't find any with a floorplan of our liking.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Hey guys,

My wife and I have been looking to escape the inner city life, and have focused out efforts on finding a new home in Katy, specifically Cinco Ranch area.

One of our "must-haves" is quick and easy access to a major tollway. We are both working professionals with jobs in the Galleria area, so we need to cut down on traffic as much as possible.

Anyway, we really like Grand Lakes (Phase 3), as the homes are newer and it's very close to the Westpark Tollway.

I was hoping some the area residents could lend a few words on what they think about the Grand Lakes Phase 3 subdivision.

We were also looking at the Greenway Village subdivision, but the houses are older, and we didn't find any with a floorplan of our liking.

Really anywhere in Cinco Ranch or Grand Lakes for that matter is close to all major freeways/tollways. Your less than 3 miles to 99, less than 5 miles to I-10 and about 1 mile from Westpark Tollway. In my opinion that's pretty darn good compared to other parts of the city. Then when 99 gets extended to the North you can be on 290 in 15 minutes. So really anywhere is good! Good luck.

Hey guys,

hello,

my name is phillip marshall and i am a realtor with weichert realtor stout and associates. we are located 3 miles from cinco ranch. if you would like to come in and talk about the area, and you and your wife needs please feel free to email me at phillip@pwmarshall.com. if you would like me to send you some information just respond to this with your email address.

regards

phillip marshall

Before you buy in order to save drive time, I suggest you drive the Westpark both ways at your normal commute times over several different days of the week. The results might surprise you. Katy continues to grow and so does the number of automobiles on it's roads.

I live in the Seven Meadows area and we believe the quality of life here is very good. Excellent schools, groceries and never a shortage of nail salons :P . Your property taxes will prove me right as well.

Not sure if you mind the traffic noise. Some houses in Grand Lakes (Phase 3) are very close to Grand PKWY, and traffic noise could bother you. Other than that, great houses and great values! :D

Although most of the south side of I-10 is MUCH nicer than the north side, I would advise you to look elsewhere. Katy is fast becoming a crap hole. Not to mention the apartment explosion on the Westpark, which isn't far from Grand Lakes.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm starting to really like Grand Lakes, specifically Phase 3. There was a home there that had a view of the tollway, so I can concur with Button. I'm looking deeper into Phase 3. I'm guessing the Grand Lakes closer to 99 is the Phase 1, which were older homes, and too close together for my comfort.

Property taxes are definitely higher ~$7000 for the couple of houses I've picked out.

Gary, I'm curious to why you feel that way about Katy? As with any area, it will see it's share of undesireables, but I'm not sure why apartments down Westpark have much to do with it? Someone did tell me that traffic sucks on the Westpark during rush hour though. I drove down I-10 and tried to exit Grand Parkway, and it was a sea of cars. It's a big sacrifice for me, but what I'm gaining is a safe, quiet neighborhood.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm starting to really like Grand Lakes, specifically Phase 3. There was a home there that had a view of the tollway, so I can concur with Button. I'm looking deeper into Phase 3. I'm guessing the Grand Lakes closer to 99 is the Phase 1, which were older homes, and too close together for my comfort.

Property taxes are definitely higher ~$7000 for the couple of houses I've picked out.

Gary, I'm curious to why you feel that way about Katy? As with any area, it will see it's share of undesireables, but I'm not sure why apartments down Westpark have much to do with it? Someone did tell me that traffic sucks on the Westpark during rush hour though. I drove down I-10 and tried to exit Grand Parkway, and it was a sea of cars. It's a big sacrifice for me, but what I'm gaining is a safe, quiet neighborhood.

We have lived in Katy for 10 years and have seen some changes and the addition of apartment complexes to the area is one that were were not excited about. That being said, our experience here has been great. We moved here "from the city" to send our daughter to KISD schools and hoping to find a community to raise a family and be away from the traffic, crime, etc. in Houston. We found a great home, in a nice neighborhood. We made it a point to get to know our neighbors, get involved at the school and support our local businesses. In other words, we worked at it and did not expect it to just happen. My daughter will graduate in 2 weeks from one of the best high schools in the state and I have only the highest praise for the school administrators, the student body and the parents that give of their time volunteering at the schools. Life here is not perfect - there is some increase in crime, and yes, apartments complexes are cropping up in some areas, but overall it is a great place to live. And the traffic isn't all that bad either - I work in the Galleria area as well and can tell you that the commute is MUCH improved from when we first moved out here (pre Westpark Tollway/Katy Freeway expansion).I usually just use Westheimer or Richmond and come through Geo. Bush Park with no problems. Good luck with your house hunting!

Although most of the south side of I-10 is MUCH nicer than the north side, I would advise you to look elsewhere. Katy is fast becoming a crap hole. Not to mention the apartment explosion on the Westpark, which isn't far from Grand Lakes.

Who do you expect to work at Wal-Mart, HEB, Target, and the restaurants around the south Katy area? I'm pretty sure someone who is working at these types of establishments are not able to afford living in CR, Grand Lakes, or Seven Meadows? Don't confuse Governor's place with the real "south Katy" Seven Meadows, CR, and Grand Lakes. Governor's place will be a rental community in the next year or two.

You can run from apartments, but you can't hide.

Or you can just learn to live in peace next to them like people do "in the city."

So moving to the Woodlands and then back to Tanglewilde, how does this qualify you to make this statement?

Where there alot of apartments in the Woodlands where you lived or in the meorial area?

Are you suggesting because you live in the "city" you have had to adjust your lifestyle?

I realize where you are is technically a suburb, but not in the proper sense these days.

I mean I don't think anyone here is talking about running from apartments. Gary mentioned an Apartment explosion on the Westpark, but he is the only one calling the area a future craphole which is not likely.

Who do you expect to work at Wal-Mart, HEB, Target, and the restaurants around the south Katy area? I'm pretty sure someone who is working at these types of establishments are not able to afford living in CR, Grand Lakes, or Seven Meadows? Don't confuse Governor's place with the real "south Katy" Seven Meadows, CR, and Grand Lakes. Governor's place will be a rental community in the next year or two.

What does this have to do with where the apartments are built?

Do you think the people that work at these places funded or rallied for the building of apartments so they would have some place to live near their jobs?

This is not how it works.

I agree about Governers place, as well as some of the sections of neighborhoods south of Westpark (parts of Lakemont/Parkway lakes, etc,.)

What does this have to do with where the apartments are built?

Do you think the people that work at these places funded or rallied for the building of apartments so they would have some place to live near their jobs?

This is not how it works.

I agree about Governers place, as well as some of the sections of neighborhoods south of Westpark (parts of Lakemont/Parkway lakes, etc,.)

Seriously? I know your aware of what happens to an area over time that becomes flooded with apartments. As far as your second sentence, I'm not sure I understand what your saying.

I've lived here now for seven years, and have noticed a significant change in the area. Will Seven Lakes and Cinco become crapholes in the near future? Of course not. My point was that the areas surrounding these communities are going downhill. Visual blight is on the increase, along with crime, vandalism, and a general downturn of community pride. Again, I'm speaking of the surrounding areas. Don't get me wrong. I love athletics in Katy, and there is probably know where else in the city that's better. Having said that, it's not enough to make me want to stay.

What does this have to do with where the apartments are built? Employees working at these retail establishment probably can't afford to live in South Katy. Do you think someone is willing to drive 30min each way to work a 4-6shift and drive back another 30min? The apartments make it affordable to live and have there kids attend a KISD or Lamar school without paying extra taxes associated with being a homeowner.

Don't be so quick to say this area won't be a crap hole down the line. I have lived in places where the mass influx of apartments eventually turned very nice areas into crap holes.

Its one thing if the complexes are kept up with high standards, etc but if there are no associations, ect to oversee this I would venture to say that little by little the clientele will start going down and down.

I don't know if any of you all remember but years ago the section now known as Gunspoint was once a very nice area. I had friends who lived there and loved it and I often visited that area but I work there now for the most part only and its a crap hole compared to what it used to be.

Cinco Ranch has 3 large apartment complexes within about 3 miles of each other back on Mason and Fry with plans to put another large apartment complex in next to the Elementary school on south fry. That will be 4 very large complexes in just this one little section not to count all the other units going up not far down the westpark. It doesn't make me happy that when we moved here 12 years ago Cinco lied to us and told us that all land back here was strictly for schools and house only now to have mass apartments surrounding us.

I hope it works out but I can't say I have seen many areas that don't eventually go downhill after some years do to the flood of apartments.

Don't be so quick to say this area won't be a crap hole down the line. I have lived in places where the mass influx of apartments eventually turned very nice areas into crap holes.

Its one thing if the complexes are kept up with high standards, etc but if there are no associations, ect to oversee this I would venture to say that little by little the clientele will start going down and down.

I don't know if any of you all remember but years ago the section now known as Gunspoint was once a very nice area. I had friends who lived there and loved it and I often visited that area but I work there now for the most part only and its a crap hole compared to what it used to be.

Cinco Ranch has 3 large apartment complexes within about 3 miles of each other back on Mason and Fry with plans to put another large apartment complex in next to the Elementary school on south fry. That will be 4 very large complexes in just this one little section not to count all the other units going up not far down the westpark. It doesn't make me happy that when we moved here 12 years ago Cinco lied to us and told us that all land back here was strictly for schools and house only now to have mass apartments surrounding us.

I hope it works out but I can't say I have seen many areas that don't eventually go downhill after some years do to the flood of apartments.

Give me a break people.... I've lived here since 1977, and we're still not heading 'downhill'.

1. Have any of you ever priced the apartments around the Cinco area? Obviously not. Your average Walmart employee couldn't even afford them.

2. Governors Place isn't going to be a 'rental community'. Most of the properties in there are customs, and too large and valuable to make great rental properties. Property values in nearly all the neighborhoods south of I-10 are on the rise, contrary to what you might be seeing on TV.

3. South Katy begins south of I-10, period. It's is NOT just Cinco, Grand Lakes and Seven Meadows.

4. Property tax rates in KISD are lower now than they've been in years. Fight your valuations. Don't delicate flower about the school district. Want lower taxes? Move north of I-10 where property values are on the decline.

5. The only people that believe Katy is becoming a craphole are the same people who find endless things to delicate flower about.

Bman,

Didn't say its a crap hole, but stated that it has the possibilities to go that route with many of the things being put into motion in some areas. The area is still very nice at this stage but many things are starting to change and many folks don't think that those changes are going to head this area in the right direction. Only time will tell who was right.

Since you have lived here since 1977 you have no clue what mass apartments do to an area. Also this area has never had the amount of apartments being thrown up as they are now. I have lived in other places where this same thing has happened and over the years it did not turn out well. I can point you toward one for example in Baton Rouge, La. One of the most pristine and family oriented areas for years let develpors put up mass apartments under the pretext of upscale living. After some years the owners didn't want it anymore and sold it to another management company who in return decided the place didn't need to be an upscale location. Little by little the tenants changed as the rent dropped. The place is now one of the most crime ridden places and the whole surrounding area now looks like a dump.

If you took the time to read and comprehend you would see where I stated that allot depends on who is running the complexes, who is overseeing the people running it and what protocals are put in place to keep something like above from happening here.

I also know what the prices are and researched them and they are high and you are correct most lower income persons would not be able to afford them without assistance. But assitance is there in the form of grants, etc and many times these complexes have to have so many units to rent out at much lower rates due to government deals and only certain people can apply for these units. At least that is what I was told, if someone with management in apartment complexes can clarify I will be glad to find out.

I don't know squat about Governers place but I do know that there have been 3 homes in the South Park area that just in the past few months popped up with the For Lease signs instead of For Sale and 2 of them were scooped up quickly. The other one just hit the market so will see smaller homes have been selling fairly well but the larger homes have not in this area.

As for property values have remaind basically the same with some slight increase the past couple of years, but my taxes have not decreased so don't know where you are getting that from.

Hey guys,

Sent you a PM.

Since you have lived here since 1977 you have no clue what mass apartments do to an area. Also this area has never had the amount of apartments being thrown up as they are now. I have lived in other places where this same thing has happened and over the years it did not turn out well. I can point you toward one for example in Baton Rouge, La. One of the most pristine and family oriented areas for years let develpors put up mass apartments under the pretext of upscale living. After some years the owners didn't want it anymore and sold it to another management company who in return decided the place didn't need to be an upscale location. Little by little the tenants changed as the rent dropped. The place is now one of the most crime ridden places and the whole surrounding area now looks like a dump.

just curious, are you talking about the Gardere area of BR? :mellow:

Close

The whole area back off of Starring/Essen connecting with Hwy 30. Used to live in the area and had friends lived back there for a while. Started off as some very nice apartments, etc but after some change in management years ago things went downhill. Was out that way a couple of months ago visiting my relatives that still live off of Starring and it was still the pits in that area. My Aunt told me there were shootings back there all the time.

I believe they are trying to build the new Casino complex not far from there on River Road. Maybe it will do some good for the area.

Another example is the Bammel/Spring ISD area of FM 1960. Olde Oaks, Oak Creek, Ponderosa etc. Westfield High and Klein Forest used to be good schools a decade or two ago.

Hey guys,

I live in Grand Lakes Phase 3 and love it! It's a wonderful community to raise a young family. The community is alive with people walking/jogging, playing tennis, biking and enjoying all the amenities it offers.

Grand Lakes is a Trendmaker Development and all their communities well designed and maintained.

I have lived in Katy pretty much my entire life. My family moved here in 1974 for the same reasons most all of us that live in Katy did, good schools, good values, etc. I am now 39 years old and STILL live in Katy and can tell you that most of you have not been able to witness what has happened here since then. You are looking from the recent past as CR and the other developments are not very old. Here's my view point with all this. Having the apartments within CR is not such a bad thing as most of the clients that live there are either young profesionals or transfers from companies looking to purchase in the area and still be close to the Energy Corridor. CR has strict guidelines on what can and has to be done to those developments within their confines, i.e. landscaping, painting, etc. just like we that live in those developments in SF homes, they answer to the HOA.

As far as the developments along the Westpark Toll Road goes, that is no mans land for the most part and that is where you could see some issues come up in the next few years. As far as guns point goes, they are making efforts to clean up the area and make it safer, but then again, if you throw enough money at any problem, you can fix it.

Property values are dictated by so many variables it is impossible to predict where and when they will stabalize, but I can tell you this, if you have a strong HOA and participate in the various programs they dictate upon us, you should be able to maintain a strong resale value into the future. GP is a good quiet community that has held its values for a very long time. As stated by Bman, that market sector was developed with executives in mind and has held up well, even with the addition of the "master planned" developments to the south and west.

Good luck in your search and I hope you chose the area and make it your new home.

We just moved out here to Katy last year. Some observations:

Don't move too close to 99 or the Westpark. I grew up in Jersey Village close to the Sam Houston Tollway. You could hear cars day and night, inside and outside. Once that thing gets expanded, the road noise will be constant. People close to 99 are already asking for more barriers to be put up by to association to help block road noise.

We just moved out here to Katy last year. Some observations:

Don't move too close to 99 or the Westpark. I grew up in Jersey Village close to the Sam Houston Tollway. You could hear cars day and night, inside and outside. Once that thing gets expanded, the road noise will be constant. People close to 99 are already asking for more barriers to be put up by to association to help block road noise.

Yeah, I'm about 1 mile from 99, and it's get's pretty loud, especially at night.

Yeah, I'm about 1 mile from 99, and it's get's pretty loud, especially at night.

A mile away the the noise of the highway is loud??? I'm surprised at that...

I live a lot closer to 288 than a mile and never hear it inside house, sometimes outside, but more so in the winter outside. Its quite possible not to hear the HWY at all, more so in hot humid summer weather. I guess the dense air muffles the sound waves or something.

Wind direction is also a BIG factor I believe in highway noise.

I'd like to thank everyone for their great and invaluable input. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Well, after about 3 weeks of daily house hunting, we decided on Falcon Point.

The Cinco Ranch area is great, but the people selling their homes a) fail to realize that it's a buyer's market and b. are detached from reality with respect to current market value.

Grand Lakes is beautiful, and we put an offer on two homes, but again, the sellers felt their homes were worth more than what the market dictated, so those did not work out.

I was seriously considering Pine Mill Ranch, as the value was great, but the lot sizes were way too small.

We even looked into the older section of South Katy (Nottingham, Governor's Place, Greenway Village, etc..) and really liked the area. Since resell was a big factor for us, we didn't go with that section, as it seems most home buyers flee to the newer developments.

The home we have a contract on now is a good balance of all of the things we wanted; quick access to major freeway, beautiful neighborhood, spacious house and good resale.

Any thoughts from the community here at HAIF re: Falcon Point.

I'd like to thank everyone for their great and invaluable input. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Well, after about 3 weeks of daily house hunting, we decided on Falcon Point.

The Cinco Ranch area is great, but the people selling their homes a) fail to realize that it's a buyer's market and b. are detached from reality with respect to current market value.

Grand Lakes is beautiful, and we put an offer on two homes, but again, the sellers felt their homes were worth more than what the market dictated, so those did not work out.

I was seriously considering Pine Mill Ranch, as the value was great, but the lot sizes were way too small.

We even looked into the older section of South Katy (Nottingham, Governor's Place, Greenway Village, etc..) and really liked the area. Since resell was a big factor for us, we didn't go with that section, as it seems most home buyers flee to the newer developments.

The home we have a contract on now is a good balance of all of the things we wanted; quick access to major freeway, beautiful neighborhood, spacious house and good resale.

Any thoughts from the community here at HAIF re: Falcon Point.

Re: Falcon Point:

Congratulations! Now on which side of Falcon Point did you all decide to purchase? The 'Katy High School Side" or the "Cinco Ranch High School side"? Hint: Everything south of Roesner is considered "Cinco High" north of it is Katy High.

Cinco Ranch has 3 large apartment complexes within about 3 miles of each other back on Mason and Fry with plans to put another large apartment complex in next to the Elementary school on south fry.

Mr. B, may I ask you by which elementary school on S Fry will they build a new apartment complex? I noticed vacant lot on west side of Fry near Highland Knolls and also on both sides of Highland Knolls between S Fry and West Green. What's the plan for this area? I image someone will eventually want to build something over here?

Archived