The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't really look value engineered at all, and overall it looks sleeker. Honestly I like it better than the previous rendering. I'm glad this is being built in the first place, and would of been content with the big tower by itself. The development as a whole is gonna be an anchor for this area, and will greatly expand the ever growing skyline. 

Looking at the jenga feature of the original render, it really wasn't that noticeable. Hard to tell that there was a jenga feature half the time anyway. Overall, I think the new render is a better choice. 

• Like 2

I count approx 40 floors in the jenga-style design and 33 floors in the sales office advertising board. In both cases I counted one floor for the penthouse, which appears to be as high as 3 regular floors in the jenga design and two regular floors in the sales office design.

So assuming the sales office depiction is correct, the height appears to be downsized. Even considering the penthouse and several floors with high ceilings, the sales office design appears to have a height around 400 feet.

Edited by MaxConcrete

This design looks a lot better. The current term my boss likes to use a lot is "too architecty" which I've come to roughly translate as "this building or design is trying to hard". I would say the previous design was way too "architecty". This seems better fleshed out and knows what it is, and what it wants to be. I also like how it seems to grow bigger as its getting taller instead of the multiple twists and shifts in the previous design which seemed less confident and insecure.

• Like 8

This building will be about half way up when Texas Tower and Preston Tower downtown are topping out. It’ll be pretty slick to see that many cranes in the downtown area at one time!

Maybe my math is fuzzy, but I’m only counting 33 floors. Where are you guys seeing the 40 story figure at?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, wxman said:

This building will be about half way up when Texas Tower and Preston Tower downtown are topping out. It’ll be pretty slick to see that many cranes in the downtown area at one time!

Maybe my math is fuzzy, but I’m only counting 33 floors. Where are you guys seeing the 40 story figure at?

Thats what I counted too. But still love it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wxman said:

The only 40 I see mentioned was a count of the floors in the prior "jenga-style" design.

• Like 1

i count 33 as well but the top floor of the podium and the penthouse floors look to be double height so this should have the scale of a 35-story tower, give or take. although i still preferred the original jenga-style design, this turned out better than what i was expecting. fences are up so hopefully they break ground soon.

• Like 6

Couldn't find the article on their web site but the Houston Chronicle had an article about "The Allen" in Saturday's Business section. I don't get why they think this is a questionable site, to me it seems to be a great site next to the park and so close to downtown, Montrose and not far to other parts of the inner loop.

z0Tha10.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, gclass said:

^^^ totally cool INDUCTION HEATING COUNTER TOP at the RESIDENCES AT THE ALLEN.  the state-of-the-art surface only heats the INDUCTION COOKWARE that is placed upon it.  what a cool amenity... wow!

Don't leave your keys on the kitchen island!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I'd take the 'walkability' of Buffalo Bayou Park to the 'walkability' of uptown any day. If I could live anywhere in Houston that I wanted to, it would be along Allen Parkway and that beautiful stretch of park along Buffalo Bayou. Screw dodging cars. But, too bad about that cool pedestrian bridge not being built, I would think that would seal the deal with potential buyers. 

• Like 7

I hope both Nancy and the developer read this thread to realize how off base they are. Uptown is considered an urban nightmare to anyone with even close to a little knowledge of urban design. I'm thinking dodging cars along a giant thoroughfare is NOT what Jane Jacobs had in mind.

On this site, I'm pretty sure Hines current Market Square tower and the new one under construction will demand the highest rents in the city. True, this one isn't IN downtown but its close enough for those rich buyers who want the downtown proximity without being in the middle of it. The $600k asking price for a 1 bedroom and $1million plus for a two bedroom back that up.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 8