The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

6 minutes ago, bobruss said:

This is one, in a series of sculptural works by John Runnels, commissioned by Buffalo Bayou Conservancy .

Every stairway that leads down to the bayou has one. He and Charlie Sartwelle are the founders and owners of Mother Dog Studio, situated in the heart of the Genesis project area. Which hopefully will become an island north of downtown.

I bought a painting at one of the Art Crawls years ago and he framed it for me.

• Like 4

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll withhold judgement until it's complete, but does anyone else feel the glass on the Pavilion building seems really cheap and does not look that great? I run  BBP a few times a week and always notice it.  I hope I'm wrong, but have never seen it mentioned on this thread and am curious if I'm the not the only one in this camp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Disagree. Two towers gained a few floors and the tallest tower became a little less funky. And the pedestrian bridge *which was always a bit gimmicky* went away. As value engineering goes, this is not bad at all.

The rest of the buildings are improved but I liked how the tallest tower was twisted and had more floors.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 7:58 AM, Texasota said:

Disagree. Two towers gained a few floors and the tallest tower became a little less funky. And the pedestrian bridge *which was always a bit gimmicky* went away. As value engineering goes, this is not bad at all.

Also people don't know how much pedestrian bridges cost. That bridge alone in the original renders alone would have cost at least $1 million. They aren't cheap. Then the city gets involved for easements, then the parks and rec department get involved, then a host of new code requirements come up, etc... Why bother. After the Allen Parkway redevelopment a couple years ago its a much better walking environment anyway, and an existing pedestrian bridge is like a 5-10min walk further south.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Also people don't know how much pedestrian bridges cost. That bridge alone in the original renders alone would have cost at least $1 million. They aren't cheap. Then the city gets involved for easements, then the parks and rec department get involved, then a host of new code requirements come up, etc... Why bother. After the Allen Parkway redevelopment a couple years ago its a much better walking environment anyway, and an existing pedestrian bridge is like a 5-10min walk further south.

east, but yeah, I imagine it was a 'hey, we're going to build this walking bridge'. then everyone came out and threw all sorts of expectations, and other requirements, then they just kind of backed out of the idea.

• Like 5

On 6/11/2021 at 9:55 AM, CREguy13 said:

I'll withhold judgement until it's complete, but does anyone else feel the glass on the Pavilion building seems really cheap and does not look that great? I run  BBP a few times a week and always notice it.  I hope I'm wrong, but have never seen it mentioned on this thread and am curious if I'm the not the only one in this camp.

Aesthetically that's up for conversation. I should take a look at this next time I'm in town, but FYI, getting metal panel manufactured in that specific way, in pieces as large as that, and designed the way it is...ain't cheap. I wonder if they will give it a good buff finish at the end. Will have to see.

Just now, samagon said:

east, but yeah, I imagine it was a 'hey, we're going to build this walking bridge'. then everyone came out and threw all sorts of expectations, and other requirements, then they just kind of backed out of the idea.

Thats what you get when you been out of Houston this long, the first to go is direction haha. Appreciate the rebound.

It probably wasn't even other people. I imagine it was explored at some point in the design process. Why not right? But like most things the devil is in the detail, and upon further code anaylsis, research into stakeholders that would have to be involved, the engineer who was like...really? are you sure, etc... Permitting would have been a pain. Who knows whether it was a client idea or architect idea too.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 12:55 PM, pacarlson said:

Thank you much TheSirDingle.

4 apartment towers currently under construction in Houston >= 400':

Brava (The Preston) - 549' (Almost topped out)

The Allen - 496' (Frame assembly)

Block 98 Residential Tower - 468' (Frame assembly)

Aspire Post Oak - 453' (Topped out)

7 apartment towers completed in Houston since 2015 >= 400:

2929 Weslayan  - 533' (2015)

Market Square Tower - 498' (2017)

The Post Oak - 490' (2018)

Hanover River Oaks - 462' (2020)

Residences at La Colombe d'Or - 452' (2020)

Latitude Medical Center - 423' (2018)

Arabella - 400' (2018)

To keep this in perspective; in 1960, Houston had only 2 buildings total >=400' and a population of 938,219.  Both of those were built before 1930.  Depending on which source you use, Houston currently has 64 built plus 4 under construction >=400' (68 total).

5 under construction (you left out Texas Tower)

• Like 1