The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

i live in that neighborhood. Depending on who I am talking to i say Montrose or Midtown.

I never say neartown, if I did no one would have any idea what I'm talking about and I would just have to explain using Montrose and Midtown as references anyways.

• Like 3

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/3/2017 at 6:45 PM, BigFootsSocks said:

Oh so that's what we call that area. I always found myself struggling to find a name to describe that area.

Me- "So it's like west of downtown sort of.."

Friend- "Oh you mean Montrose?"

Me- "No...its north of Montrose"

Friend- "So you mean the Heights?"

Me- "No to far north, it's below I-10"

Friend- "Sooo..Washington?"

Me- "That's a street"

Friend- "East Downtown?"

Me- "I hate you"

Fourth Ward?

The 4th used to span the west half of what we now call Downtown and Midtown (Main was the boundary), and all of what we now call Montrose. But I think that part of the city that's south of Buffalo Bayou, outside the Pierce elevated, too far north to really be called midtown, and too far east to really be called Montrose, can accurately be called the Fourth Ward.

Just like the Sixth Ward covered all the way out to Camp Logan and Cottage Grove, we now generally understand the OSW to mean that area along Washington between the bayou and the rail line, from downtown to, say, Studemont.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, swtsig said:

The lifestyle center will front BBP and bears a striking resemblance to BP's (no relation) ultra modern data center on their campus. The Thompson is definitely approaching 40 stories and, as currently designed, shares a similar aesthetic to Hanovers 2nd BLVD place tower but with a more modern bent. Designs are still being finalized but they want the Thompson to be an architectural landmark and I think they are achieving it thus far. Presales of the condo units are needed prior to groundbreaking.

Is it of a similar style to the Thompson San Antonio, just on a larger scale?

http://www.dcpartnersusa.com/portfolio-items/thompson-san-antonio/

• Like 3

6 hours ago, swtsig said:

The lifestyle center will front BBP and bears a striking resemblance to BP's (no relation) ultra modern data center on their campus. The Thompson is definitely approaching 40 stories and, as currently designed, shares a similar aesthetic to Hanovers 2nd BLVD place tower but with a more modern bent. Designs are still being finalized but they want the Thompson to be an architectural landmark and I think they are achieving it thus far. Presales of the condo units are needed prior to groundbreaking.

The article mentions EB-5 financing--will these condo pre-sales be primarily targeted at well-heeled buyers in China?  Given the fate of some other condo proposals in town, I'd think the market for more high-end condos would be limited for US buyers in the current climate.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, swtsig said:

negative... much more glass.

So this tower will resemble the second tower at BLVD Place the most or is there another tower in Houston that is similar in nature? Does it have any curves like the original rendering of Theatre Square/International Tower?

Edited by wxman
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Let's see... a 77019 zip code. PLUS

Easy access to downtown. PLUS

Easy access to Buffalo Bayou Park. PLUS

Easy access to River Oaks (empty nesters). PLUS

Easy access to ROD and Galleria. PLUS

Easy access to Montrose foodie haven. PLUS

Easy access to TMC. PLUS

Easy access to Museums. PLUS

Hotel amenities and service. PLUS

Room service at home. PLUS

Whole Foods adjacent. PLUS

Art Car Parade Route. PLUS

4th of July Fireworks views. PLUS

Cool hotel when visitors come. PLUS

I've long considered this area the best place in Houston for high rise residential. It truly is the "center" of it all. The views will either be of a green belt and downtown, a green belt and the sunset to the west over Memorial Park, or urban views of downtown. TMC, Montrose, Greenway, Uptown. 

The only thing missing is transit. This is why I will continue to beg for a street car down West Dallas from the Allen Center to Shepherd. It's a no brainer. Heck, make a fake one with no tracks... just a trolley on wheels that runs loops all day. There are thousands of units within a couple of blocks of Dallas now. Do it.

Could it simply be a dedicated bus like the Greenlink?

• Like 3

On 2/17/2017 at 6:02 PM, Sic'EmBears said:

The renderings lend toward a 10 Hudson / Fifth and Columbia hybrid. 

How dare you not share.

When the never built Allen Center tower was shown I knew it was only a matter of time before a skyscraper would spill over the freeway and change the view.

If 45 is turned into a park this location will be prime. Later down the road the wood frame wraps will be taken out. Hope I'm alive to see it.

• Like 4

The existing renders are not accurate... site plan has changed considerably as has design from what was originally posted in this thread. There are two concepts I saw, the more value engineered one is what I described but don't take value engineered the wrong way... the design is still of a very high caliber. As always these things are a work in progress. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, swtsig said:

The existing renders are not accurate... site plan has changed considerably as has design from what was originally posted in this thread. There are two concepts I saw, the more value engineered one is what I described but don't take value engineered the wrong way... the design is still of a very high caliber. As always these things are a work in progress. 

When u say "changed considerably," are there still multiple high rises involved or did it get valued down to another 25 story building and a parking garage?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wxman said:

When u say "changed considerably," are there still multiple high rises involved or did it get valued down to another 25 story building and a parking garage?

On 2/17/2017 at 4:32 AM, swtsig said:

thompson hotel/condo highrise and lifestyle center - phase 1

12-15 story office - only with preleasing

multifamily highrise - phase II/III depending on market

is my understanding.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, H-TownChris2 said:

Definitely not, this building sure is one of a kind. There's three tiers to this building and it's more of a rounder type of building. Hard to describe

I love little tidbits like these cause I start picturing the tower in my head and it ends up looking nothing like I imagine :)

• Like 4