The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll get excited when I see an actual building go up.

Go down to Dunlavy and Allen Parkway where there stands a wonderful leasing office thats been there for almost ten years and what does Regents Square have to show for that leasing office? 

Not much.

1 minute ago, bobruss said:

I'll get excited when I see an actual building go up.

Go down to Dunlavy and Allen Parkway where there stands a wonderful leasing office thats been there for almost ten years and what does Regents Square have to show for that leasing office? 

Not much.

I was wondering why they needed such a heavy foundation for a leasing office (instead of a lightweight post/beam) but I guess this is a good example.

28 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Thats a pretty light foundation actually. Grade beams and a slab on grade. Dont have any pictures showing drilled piers, but this foundation looks like something youd see for a residential building. 

My thoughts exactly. Was wondering what you might have to say about it. Looks like a slab you would see out in the burbs for a 1-2 story single fam. Once they do build what they want to build it's not exactly going to cost an arm and a leg to demo.

41 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Thats a pretty light foundation actually. Grade beams and a slab on grade. Dont have any pictures showing drilled piers, but this foundation looks like something youd see for a residential building. 

Why do you need a permanent foundation for a leasing office? Why not just do concrete blocks and posts on top of the ground instead of pouring concrete into the ground? Like a construction office. I'm sure the answer is, because leasing offices have to look/feel nicer, but still think it's silly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Why do you need a permanent foundation for a leasing office? Why not just do concrete blocks and posts on top of the ground instead of pouring concrete into the ground? Like a construction office. I'm sure the answer is, because leasing offices have to look/feel nicer, but still think it's silly.

That is the most likely answer. And if if it going ot be there a little while it is easier ot permit through Harris County with the stricter foundation and other permitting requirements post Harvey.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 8:03 PM, H-Town Man said:

I'm not super familiar with temporary structures but I would imagine if theres a specific duration that the building will be there, it will still have to comply with IBC 2012 CoH Amendments (building code for Houston)

The slab-on-grade with grade beams is going to be more durable than cinder blocks and like you commented, will probably look nicer. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, swtsig said:

Not to be a Debbie downer but I’ve heard that the distinctive condo/hotel tower will be significantly value engineered. IOW, expect this one to get the infamous “houston developer” treatment. 

So does that mean that:

(1) We will see a shorter/redesigned version of the tower or

(2) Cheaper materials will be used or

(3) All of the above?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swtsig said:

Not to be a Debbie downer but I’ve heard that the distinctive condo/hotel tower will be significantly value engineered. IOW, expect this one to get the infamous “houston developer” treatment. 

Heard from who?  Sources please.

3 hours ago, swtsig said:

Hopefully more of an Alessandra-type downgrade and not a Randall Davis, wish-it-hadn't-been-built type job.

Edit: Remembering some pages back, it looks like they're getting their funding from the same place as Randall Davis does.

Edited by H-Town Man