The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 years later...
11 minutes ago, skooljunkie said:

Was just talking about this site the other day.  Would hope they take the buffalo bayou foot traffic into consideration in the design. There is almost nothing walkable from the bayou in terms of food/beverage.

• Like 1

HBJ has more details:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/06/22/mixed-use-development-slated-for-site-near-buffalo.html

Roberto Contreras, president and CEO of Houston-based DC Partners, told the Houston Business Journal he plans to start an approximately $500 million mixed-use development at the southeast corner of Allen Parkway and Gillette Street in early 2018. The 6.01-acre project is expected to feature a luxury hotel, housing, shops and an office tower. Gensler designed the overall master plan layout for the site.

The company, along with Tianqing Real Estate Development LLC, bought the property from HTX Real Estate Partners in a deal that closed in May. Contreras said he could not disclose the cost of the deal.

Contreras said the luxury hotel, the first phase of the project, would have about 150 to 180 rooms and would open around 2020.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, terra002 said:

That would be great. Maybe then we can get rid of Allen Parkway Villages. 

I'll let Houston19514 correct me here, but that can't be torn down because they fought to make them historic. I believe the central buildings are from the mid-1940s. I have a feeling those will be there for a while.

• Like 1

My fantasy, along the lines of this project, is something happening to the site at Montrose & Allen Parkway. If the Khan Foundation ever gives it up, I'd love to see a multi-purpose mall/residence/office space there. Tiers of restaurants facing the Bayou, sidewalk access, etc. At least this prime plot is getting the project it deserves!

• Like 1

I was just thinking last week that it would be great if Neartown's skyline doubled in size. 

Then today we find out about this!! 

* Neartown is the neighborhood west of DT on Allen Parkway. It's anchored by the cluster of office and condo buildings with the AIG building in the middle of it. It's the tall building with the flag pole and US flag on it and the surrounding skyscrapers and high rises. 

Also I look forward to the day when Upper Kirby and Neartown converge. Upper Kirby and Greenway Plaza already have converged. 

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 2