The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, thatguysly said:

I don't have a problem with those apartments. They have been around for decades and in a city that tears everything down, that is rare. They have made them look nice as well. Sure it would be nice to expand downtown forever but with how many other areas can be built on, those apts sure get picked on a lot.

The housing project can't be torn down for a while because it has a historic designation.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm curious if anyone knows how we can land new types of business. Like how could we entice Facebook or Google to open offices here? 

as long as the popular culture and news media believes that the only "cool" places (and I use that term VERY loosely...) are dallas and austin, then Houston will continue to be left behind, no matter how large and diverse we are.  I've noticed this year after year, decade after decade.  Houston has never been able to successfully tout it's many many benefits that are so much better than any other city in Texas, without one or two of the other places cashing in on their own branding in order to steal the thunder, business and limelight of media and culture excitement.  and no, it isn't because dfw is a larger populous area (it is not.)  Plus, as a city, Houston is almost double the size in population of the next smaller city in Texas.  Evidence ?  Once again snubbed by a gigantic corporation - Amazon - but leaving the other two Texas candidates in the running.  I find this interesting and appalling at the same time.  But, what do I know, I only like to deal in facts and not propaganda.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Nothing new.  They're trying to lease the office building, haven't had any deals yet but are getting interest from mid-sized energy firms and financial institutions.

I think the residential and hotel is slated to go forward with the office waiting on preleasing.

That is what I thought but wasn't sure if any nuggets about construction start dates were in the article. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/12/2018 at 1:34 PM, jgriff said:

I walked by it yesterday. Seems to be no activity on site.

Well they did submit for the plat on Feb. We can then assume they went for Bid and Permit in March. It takes the city 3-4 weeks to spit out the permits (that's if there are no comments. If this is their first pass at permitting then no doubt they will get comments especially when the latest changes to construction near a bayou I would assume its something people have to alter new construction too). I say we see movement on the site May'ish or June'ish.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I've long thought that you could turn Allen Parkway into a version of the miracle mile with developments like this. You'd have the bayou/park on the north and mixed use along the south heading right into downtown.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A few months ago a friend, who works at Equinox, and another friend, who works at Stream Realty, both told me that Equinox will be opening their second Houston location here. That should be an indication of the quality of retail they’re seeking and that this project is definitely moving forward. 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Any updates here? This was originally planned to break ground earlier this year.

I am almost confident there has been no activity here. I am pretty disappointed.. I was really excited for this development.

Allen parkway curse? Midway / Regent Sq / Allen dev?

• 5 weeks later...