Jump to content

The Allen: Allen Parkway & Gillette St. Mixed-Use Development


jmontrose

Recommended Posts

On 2/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, KirbyDriveKid said:

Loving how this building is turning out, but this... this will haunt my OCD dreams.

Why is this and only this corner not symmetrical?

image.png.b46e28eca0c5f1587a1fad80682651cd.png

 

Probably a coordination hiccup. It happens.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Not sure how I got on their list but I just received a text with several things;

1) Link to article for topping out ceremony

2) 55% of units "sold"

3) Several floor plans are down to 1-2 units left

They sent it to me too. Somebody connected to the project reached out to see if they could use my pics I post on here for marketing material, I said sure use them. I've been invited for events twice.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Probably a coordination hiccup. It happens.

I believe it is a balcony for the corner units on the two floors in the red ellipse. Look at the opposite end of the building on the next two floors up and you will see plywood covering an opening to the balconies on those two floors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I noticed this yesterday when driving in the morning. if you are in the east end, or downtown you can check it out too.

head over to Leeland, if you are in downtown headed east, look in your rearview mirror. if you are just east of 59 headed west, when you are at the intersection for 59 look straight ahead and up slightly.

this building slots right in the sightline between the downtown buildings on Leeland.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, shasta said:

Wouldn't a Cougar Paw or a Whooty Who have been more appropriate than a Hook-em IN Houston?

He states it's for a private collector, I'm guessing they might be a Texas alumni.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, shasta said:

Wouldn't a Cougar Paw or a Whooty Who have been more appropriate than a Hook-em IN Houston?

spacer.png

^^^ as a proud houstonian, and as a super proud TEXAS LONGHORN 4 LIFER, i can honestly assure you @shasta that the TEXAS HOOK'EM hand sign is something to behold.  (how on earth, could it not be?) astronauts, jedi, aliens, darth vaders, and all of the other extraterrestrials and extracurriculars of this huge world... already know this.  therefore, it's ok.  it's all good.  it's gravy.  it's the chizzle on the drizzle.  just raise your arm up... place your fingers into the shape of horns... and loudly yell HOOK'EM!   

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, monarch said:

spacer.png

^^^ as a proud houstonian, and as a super proud TEXAS LONGHORN 4 LIFER, i can honestly assure you @shasta that the TEXAS HOOK'EM hand sign is something to behold.  (how on earth, could it not be?) astronauts, jedi, aliens, darth vaders, and all of the other extraterrestrials and extracurriculars of this huge world... already know this.  therefore, it's ok.  it's all good.  it's gravy.  it's the chizzle on the drizzle.  just raise your arm up... place your fingers into the shape of horns... and loudly yell HOOK'EM!   

No thanks, this PROUD Houstonian reps the University of Houston and not the University of Austin (UT-A).

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Allen: Allen Parkway/Gillette Mixed-Use Development

That would make sense, yeah. 
 

Sorta unrelated, but not- how do condos situated in the same building as a hotel work in practice? What are some of the pros/cons versus an all-condo highrise project, or all-hotel rooms? Condo fees tend to be pretty steep, just from my glancings at HAR (and personal experience when we were trying to get our first home.)- is that different when the condo shares the building with a hotel? (Or really, any other use. I’m guessing a lot of HOA fees in a highrise is structural maintenance/keeping the reserve fund in case of emergency maintenance. I’m imagining if you’re splitting the building with something like a grocery store, they eat some of that cost, right?)

Just curious!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BEES?! said:

That would make sense, yeah. 
 

Sorta unrelated, but not- how do condos situated in the same building as a hotel work in practice? What are some of the pros/cons versus an all-condo highrise project, or all-hotel rooms? Condo fees tend to be pretty steep, just from my glancings at HAR (and personal experience when we were trying to get our first home.)- is that different when the condo shares the building with a hotel? (Or really, any other use. I’m guessing a lot of HOA fees in a highrise is structural maintenance/keeping the reserve fund in case of emergency maintenance. I’m imagining if you’re splitting the building with something like a grocery store, they eat some of that cost, right?)

Just curious!

spacer.png

^^^ @BEES?! dude?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

man that lower building still looks like a stack of tupperware but from Urban Outfitters...  everytime i pass by it on my bike i can't help but stare at it...🤔

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, freundb said:

Man, the panel gaps on that roof are worse than a Tesla!

Those panels aren't supposed to be air tight. Aesthetic you don't want panels to be air tight either. Aesthetically its about gaps relative to the scale of the building. Those are massive panels and to get the definition of the edge that you want the gaps need to be pretty decently sized. As far as the assembly of the wall itself you need gaps between the panels 1) because metal will expand and contract, warp, etc... and you need room/tolerance for that 2) on the wall sides this is likely what is called a "rain-screen" system. In other words, the exterior we see is mostly aesthetic (though some metal panels systems do have insulation within them) then underneath you have a water barrier layer which keeps water out and air in as well as insulation (most likely rigid insulation) underneath that. If you look at prior photos before the metal was attached you saw the building as pretty boxy right? This is what I mean by the metal is mostly aesthetics. Its not performative on the building or its systems. 3) on the roof its sort of the same system of the roof, but instead whatever rain that gets through will fall onto a TPO Membrane, and then will slope toward internal drains.

If you don't like the gaps between the metal aesthetically then I can understand, to each his own, but you really aren't going to be able to achieve gaps smaller than what is shown unless you go with an entirely different system with different materials, and because tolerances for gaps/spacing would be smaller you are also looking balooning the costs of labor and materials.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/3/2022 at 2:29 PM, BEES?! said:

That would make sense, yeah. 
 

Sorta unrelated, but not- how do condos situated in the same building as a hotel work in practice? What are some of the pros/cons versus an all-condo highrise project, or all-hotel rooms? Condo fees tend to be pretty steep, just from my glancings at HAR (and personal experience when we were trying to get our first home.)- is that different when the condo shares the building with a hotel? (Or really, any other use. I’m guessing a lot of HOA fees in a highrise is structural maintenance/keeping the reserve fund in case of emergency maintenance. I’m imagining if you’re splitting the building with something like a grocery store, they eat some of that cost, right?)

Just curious!

I've lived in a few mixed-use buildings. One was offices (floors 10 to 40) and condos (42 to 94).  One was hotel (2 to 16), apartments (16 to 50), and condos (50 to 81).  One was retail (1 to 5) and apartments (6 to 12). 
 

The key is that each segment has its own elevators. These days, with virtual elevator banks, some developers have tried to mix the groups, but it doesn't seem to work very well in my experience. 
 

As for HOA fees, in the building with the hotel, i was told that the hotel picked up all the cost of the amenities and mixed spaces, so I imagine the fees were lower than in an all residential building. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Luminare said:

Those panels aren't supposed to be air tight. Aesthetic you don't want panels to be air tight either. Aesthetically its about gaps relative to the scale of the building. Those are massive panels and to get the definition of the edge that you want the gaps need to be pretty decently sized. As far as the assembly of the wall itself you need gaps between the panels 1) because metal will expand and contract, warp, etc... and you need room/tolerance for that 2) on the wall sides this is likely what is called a "rain-screen" system. In other words, the exterior we see is mostly aesthetic (though some metal panels systems do have insulation within them) then underneath you have a water barrier layer which keeps water out and air in as well as insulation (most likely rigid insulation) underneath that. If you look at prior photos before the metal was attached you saw the building as pretty boxy right? This is what I mean by the metal is mostly aesthetics. Its not performative on the building or its systems. 3) on the roof its sort of the same system of the roof, but instead whatever rain that gets through will fall onto a TPO Membrane, and then will slope toward internal drains.

If you don't like the gaps between the metal aesthetically then I can understand, to each his own, but you really aren't going to be able to achieve gaps smaller than what is shown unless you go with an entirely different system with different materials, and because tolerances for gaps/spacing would be smaller you are also looking balooning the costs of labor and materials.

I understand gaps are necessary, but uniformity is key. Most of the lower ones look fine, and those will be the ones most people see, so I guess its ok. The top is a little sketchy. Not many people are gonna see it but this would drive me nuts.

image.png.4a5ba3d5a7b393bc220bc2b24d2fe2d6.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, freundb said:

I understand gaps are necessary, but uniformity is key. Most of the lower ones look fine, and those will be the ones most people see, so I guess its ok. The top is a little sketchy. Not many people are gonna see it but this would drive me nuts.

image.png.4a5ba3d5a7b393bc220bc2b24d2fe2d6.png

Definitely. I'm sure the roof design had a lot of back and forth between the Architect and Contractor. I'd imagine this will be a punch list item. Depending on the drawings (of which I don't have access too) if the architect doesn't believe that the contractor has built what is specified in the drawings then the contractor will have to fix any errors or deficiencies without additional compensation. At least this is what is typically stated in most contracts. Maybe this will be something addressed near or after Substantial Completion.

Edited by Luminare
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, freundb said:

I understand gaps are necessary, but uniformity is key. Most of the lower ones look fine, and those will be the ones most people see, so I guess its ok. The top is a little sketchy. Not many people are gonna see it but this would drive me nuts.

image.png.4a5ba3d5a7b393bc220bc2b24d2fe2d6.png

Looks to me like that upper right corner is sagging below the rest of the panels. Like it just needs to be pushed up and properly affixed. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Allen: Allen Parkway & Gillette St. Mixed-Use Development

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...