The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

dua1qzy.png

Is this going into that lot at Dunlavy maybe?

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/m/gansu/2016-08/22/content_26559908.htm

"Tianqing RED, as the major stakeholder, is partnering with Houston developer DC Partners on the project. The master plan will be designed by Gensler, which designed China's tallest building, the Shanghai Tower."

"A total of $500 million will be invested in the project. The planned first phase includes a luxury hotel of 150-180 rooms and a high-rise condo. Construction is expected to start by the end of 2017 or early 2018. Another high-rise condo, a class-A office building and possibly a luxury senior-living building will be built later.

Upon completion, there will be two condo towers with a total of 180 units along with the hotel, an office building and ground-level retail spaces. The project aims to become a new landmark in Houston."

• Like 2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, jgriff said:

Isn't $500 mil a little lite for a project like this? Sounds like they are going cheap.

No. This is pretty good pricing for a project like this. I've been on projects for large high schools that price at $145 mil. and they are enormous. They were also masonry. From the renderings it looks like they are going with much better and much cheaper contemporary materials. The scope seems like something that would be at around $500 mil.

^^^ i do not believe that the above illustrations are set in stone.  i believe that GENSLER is currently working on the ACTUAL renderings to be revealed at a later date.  i am almost certain that all provided illustrations are nothing but concepts.....

• Like 1

Renderings are never set in stone. These do appear to have been done by Gensler though and may very well represent the current design. I would not be at all surprised if that design changes, but these appear at least to have been done for this site specifically rather than showing generic fancy glass towers for purely conceptual purposes.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Luminare said:

No. This is pretty good pricing for a project like this. I've been on projects for large high schools that price at $145 mil. and they are enormous. They were also masonry. From the renderings it looks like they are going with much better and much cheaper contemporary materials. The scope seems like something that would be at around $500 mil.

I think $500m might be a little on the low side for what's shown but probably not too far off. i'm not privy to a lot of estimating but ground up construction for class A+ office is probably in the $500/rsf vicinity, condo/mf maybe $200-$250/sf (not as certain) - excluding land costs. I think you could definitely get 2 high rise residential and a 10-12 story office for $500m, a 4th tower is probably stretching it.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've stayed at the Beekman in Manhattan. Nice place. Just looking at their "new" builds in Toronto, Nashville, and Seattle and it seems like we might get a decent place. They all look clean, modern, and glassy on the exterior with fun interiors. I'm hoping they don't get carried away with a Texas-design theme though!

• Like 3

On 8/26/2016 at 4:23 PM, Luminare said:

You need to look at the whole market. Softening conditions might make it close to that. Especially, since it does not look like they are going underground for parking!

• Like 2

Bit more details from chron:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Boutique-Thompson-hotel-planned-near-downtown-10884414.php#photo-12255687

Architecture firm HOK is working on the design for Thompson Houston. The hotel is expected to have 180 rooms and a restaurant connected to a local chef.

"We like to bring locally relevant chefs and restaurateurs into the experience so we bring in a lot of the local community and hotel guests feel more connected to Houston," Leondakis said.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, wxman said:

I work one block from this site and it does NOT look like it could house the opulent and expansive idea of several high rise towers. I may be wrong. I was about the Titan.

That's how I felt about the Astoria when it was announced. It can be surprising how much can fit on a plot of land. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

That's how I felt about the Astoria when it was announced. It can be surprising how much can fit on a plot of land. 

Maybe he's referencing the fact it's a small plot sandwiched between a federal fortress and a very ugly low rise public housing project wasting away on prime land lol :)  The view from the lower floors is going to suck.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

That would have some pretty good height.  I think the AIG building is 42 stories plus the space for the sign.  This would be a nice complement to it in the Neartown skyline.

Separately, the article mentions phase 3 might be a "small theatre."  In this context, I wonder if that means "theatre" for plays or for movies?  It'd be nice to have another iPic-style movie theater in that location.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Oh so that's what we call that area. I always found myself struggling to find a name to describe that area.

Me- "So it's like west of downtown sort of.."

Friend- "Oh you mean Montrose?"

Me- "No...its north of Montrose"

Friend- "So you mean the Heights?"

Me- "No to far north, it's below I-10"

Friend- "Sooo..Washington?"

Me- "That's a street"

Friend- "East Downtown?"

Me- "I hate you"

It's always been NearTown

• Like 3