The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

33 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

I will gladly buy a bus ticket for you to go somewhere else so we can keep people like you out of Houston and make it a better city.

Exactly. There's no problem with expressing your opinion, but constant negativity and little to no constructive conversation becomes annoying very quickly. 

No city is perfect, anywhere you go there will always be good and bad things about the place you call home. One of the worst things you can do is complain about the bad and remain inactive, whether in action or ideas.

But in saying all this, the best way to deal with these people is to just ignore them. Don't feed stupidity. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, West Timer said:

Give it to the Vy troll. She's the one that can't stop the pointless bitching about Houston. Unlike her, I can afford to live anywhere I want and I think Houston is fabulous and getting more fabulous by the day.

But I guess I'm probably being too insensitive. Really, I have nothing but pity for those poor pathetic losers who are handcuffed to places they would rather not be and aren't smart enough to be able to figure out how to do anything about it except whine about it on the internet and then proceed to blame our great city for their own personal issues and shortcomings.

Such great people we have in our fair city of ours. Open-minded, slow to make assumptions, and modest. Just the best.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, West Timer said:

Never ASSume.

it's not really an assumption...

15 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

Such great people we have in our fair city of ours. Open-minded, slow to make assumptions, and modest. Just the best.

perhaps if you did anything other than complain people would be a little more "open minded and modest"... if you simply wanted a place to b!tch maybe yelp would be more your speed.

Edited by swtsig
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

The bridge hasn't been in the renderings and maps for a little while. I think it was even discussed here as well in the past few months.

I know. Just giving the latest article on Swamplot.

3 minutes ago, swtsig said:

it's not really an assumption...

perhaps if you did anything other than complain people would be a little more "open minded and modest"... if you simply wanted a place to delicate flower maybe yelp would be more your speed.

I couldn’t agree more. Vy never has good input, just complaints lol

10 hours ago, swtsig said:

it's not really an assumption... perhaps if you did anything other than complain people would be a little more "open minded and modest"... if you simply wanted a place to b!tch maybe yelp would be more your speed.

This is a really ignorant post.

10 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I know. Just giving the latest article on Swamplot.

I couldn’t agree more. Vy never has good input, just complaints lol

See above

Edited by Vy65

5 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

What's going on with Swamplot? The site doesn't post all up-to-date intel as it used to, reporting on projects months after it's been discussed here. Never posting updates or sharing new articles on Facebook or Twitter. And sometimes there are 3 posts a day (one really if you don't include the demo report or headlines). And the meaty posts are almost always published late. Posts were published on the hour before. The site is a shell of itself. 

Count me not surprised Swamplot shared the bridge update on the renderings weeks and months after it's been known.

They rely to a large extent on tips sent by readers. So, feel free to fill their inbox with tips. I am sad that they seem to have gotten rid of the Swampys, which normally bring holiday cheer this time of year.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Looks like fiberglass.

Looks more like a custom fabricated metal panel. I know one said that they were doing some value engineering on the first phase, but if they are putting this much effort to make this lease office look fancy....I just don't see them doing that much value engineering.

• Like 3

Upon further examination. You can notice that the look and style of this paneling is similar to the look that they are going to do for the one commercial component. Might be a good first look at what that smaller building will look like once they start it.

• Like 3

On 12/18/2018 at 9:10 AM, C List said:

You also need to understand how a project gets financed. The initial renderings are nothing more than marketing especially for a project like this. I'm almost 100% positive this is an EB-5 equity financed project, meaning the initial renderings are shown to thousands of wealthy Asian/African investors to draw them in. Under this program, the foreign national must invest $500,000 or $1 million in exchange for an expedited green card process, depending on where the project is located. So you are showing these renderings to nonprofessional real estate investors whose primary focus is not on their money but being allowed into the US. Now, this first phase is probably a 100-200-million-dollar project if not more, which means you have to find a LOT of foreign investors to put up money before a construction loan even becomes a possibility. 

Once the developer gets close to putting shovels in the ground he is 100% not going to build the marketing renderings; he has no incentive too. The great thing about EB-5 is the cost of equity is almost nothing, like a 2% return to the foreign investors with no definitive timeline on when that money will get returned. A developer like Hines or Hanover will have a cost of equity around 14-20%, a huge difference!  So you over promise and under deliver, because if you can get anything built that looks halfway decent and leases up, you as the developer, will be swimming in money once you sell.

I'm not able to read through this because its locked behind a paywall. Warning! This is not for this development, but since what happened with another developer involves foreign investment that means its on topic and will probably on topic with other developments with similar financing. With that being said....holy cow! I was a bit skeptical of this persons comment about foreign investment until I found this headline this morning...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/foreigners-funded-houston-development-to-get-green-cards-they-were-duped-sec-says-11546956000

If anyone has a wsj sub and is willing to provide the transcript I would definitely appreciate it. Interested in reading the rest and not just the headline.

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

I'm not able to read through this because its locked behind a paywall. Warning! This is not for this development, but since what happened with another developer involves foreign investment that means its on topic and will probably on topic with other developments with similar financing. With that being said....holy cow! I was a bit skeptical of this persons comment about foreign investment until I found this headline this morning...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/foreigners-funded-houston-development-to-get-green-cards-they-were-duped-sec-says-11546956000

If anyone has a wsj sub and is willing to provide the transcript I would definitely appreciate it. Interested in reading the rest and not just the headline.

Found some screenshots of the story on another forum: http://www.andhrafriends.com/topic/786199-foreigners-funded-houston-development-to-get-eb-5-green-cards-they-were-duped-sec-says/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Apparently this is in need of some serious reform. Unfortunately it seems like its another one of those items where both sides of the aisle would like to do something about it, but when each party takes power they seem to kick the can down the road in order to use it themselves. With that being said, I'm nearly 100% confident that every other nation probably has a backdoor through the process like this. While its been mostly used by Chinese investors to get into the US, I'm pretty confident that China has the exact same thing, but in reverse for US investors.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 10:31 AM, Luminare said:

Apparently this is in need of some serious reform. Unfortunately it seems like its another one of those items where both sides of the aisle would like to do something about it, but when each party takes power they seem to kick the can down the road in order to use it themselves. With that being said, I'm nearly 100% confident that every other nation probably has a backdoor through the process like this. While its been mostly used by Chinese investors to get into the US, I'm pretty confident that China has the exact same thing, but in reverse for US investors.

I doubt many US investors get Chinese citizenship.