Found Dog

flipper

Since I'm out and about in neighborhoods during the day a lot, I find a lot of loose dogs. I have a general policy not to try and help dogs that don't have a tag. We'll I broke the rule 2 days ago and I still have the dog in my back yard. I took her to the vet to see if she had an ID chip, but no luck. I've got signs around the neighborhood, but the owner must not have seen them yet.

I don't have the heart to do anything with this dog that could result in it being hit by a car or euthanized, but I can't keep it here either.

Suggestions?

flipper

All I can say is, "Glad to hear you have a new dog!"

Seriously though, I would be in your position and probably wind up keeping it.

So, when do we see pics of your new companion?

You're killin me ricco. We just had to euthanize our 18 year old dog and are down to 2 right now. We really don't want to go back to 3 dogs for a while.

Found-Dog-2.jpg

Found-Dog.jpg

flipper

Since I'm out and about in neighborhoods during the day a lot, I find a lot of loose dogs. I have a general policy not to try and help dogs that don't have a tag. We'll I broke the rule 2 days ago and I still have the dog in my back yard. I took her to the vet to see if she had an ID chip, but no luck. I've got signs around the neighborhood, but the owner must not have seen them yet.

I don't have the heart to do anything with this dog that could result in it being hit by a car or euthanized, but I can't keep it here either.

Suggestions?

flipper

Do not take her to BARC. I foster dogs and am currently full, but if you will email me via this site with your email address, I can hook you up with some rescues that may be able to help. In the meantime, contact Homeless Pet Placement League. If you could foster the dog, they will help with vet bills, and getting her adopted. What kind of dog is she?

Contact me and one way or the other we will get your find cared for without worry of euthanasia or car tragedy.

Thanks for caring.

Now that this topic has been opened...

I foster for a rescue organization called Lucky Leash Rescue www.luckyleashrescue.org that pulls dogs from BARC who are close to euthanasia. We sterilize them, treat them for any diseases (lots and lots of heartworm) they may have and foster them until they are adopted.

As many charitable organizations are hurting right now, our dogs and cats are paying the ultimate price. Please remember the rescue organization/shelter of your choice when you are considering your charitable donations, so that we can help and save more innocent animals. On average, LLR puts in $500 per dog in veterinary care prior to adoption and the adoption fee is $150. We rely on private contributions to provide this service to our furry friends.

We are also always in need of foster homes. I have four of my own dogs (one is terminally ill, so I will stick at three once she passes) and two fosters. While many folks think it would be hard to foster if you get attached to your foster, not to keep it. I thought that would be the case, but I know that my fosters will be better off once they are adopted because they will be somebody's pet for life.

Anyway, I hope I haven't broken any regs on this site by voicing this, but if all you do is take a bag of food to a shelter all the way up to picking up and helping stray animals, I thank you. It does make a difference.

One last thing, rescue organizations across the country are trying to get free spay/neuter programs in place so that the huge numbers of sadly unwanted animals can be reduced and the huge numbers of dogs that end up in shelters can be lessened and therefore free up those dollars currently used in public shelters can be put to use somewhere else. Please contact your city officials to voice support for this very important public service.

Thanks for listening.

OK here is the longer version of the story. I found the dog Friday afternoon. Apparently, she had been hanging around at a school a few miles from here for 2 or 3 days. The people at the school tried to find the owners to no avail. One of the teachers brought the dog to her house, which is down at the end of my street. She escaped from their yard on Friday and that is when I snagged her. The teacher saw one of my signs on Sunday and I gave the dog back to her on Sunday night. We were sitting in our backyard yesterday afternoon when the dog returned to our side gate. I called the teacher down the street and left a message on her machine. I noticed that she was home a few hours later and called her. She and her husband were trying to decide if they could keep the dog since she obviously had an easy escape route from their house. They decided that they couldn't keep her. The principal at the school told the teacher when she took the dog that if things didn't work out, she would love to have the dog. I left a message for the principal this morning. She is supposedly coming to get the dog tomorrow. Meanwhile my wife and I are taking good care of the dog and trying not to get too attached.

flipper

OK here is the longer version of the story. I found the dog Friday afternoon. Apparently, she had been hanging around at a school a few miles from here for 2 or 3 days. The people at the school tried to find the owners to no avail. One of the teachers brought the dog to her house, which is down at the end of my street. She escaped from their yard on Friday and that is when I snagged her. The teacher saw one of my signs on Sunday and I gave the dog back to her on Sunday night. We were sitting in our backyard yesterday afternoon when the dog returned to our side gate. I called the teacher down the street and left a message on her machine. I noticed that she was home a few hours later and called her. She and her husband were trying to decide if they could keep the dog since she obviously had an easy escape route from their house. They decided that they couldn't keep her. The principal at the school told the teacher when she took the dog that if things didn't work out, she would love to have the dog. I left a message for the principal this morning. She is supposedly coming to get the dog tomorrow. Meanwhile my wife and I are taking good care of the dog and trying not to get too attached.

flipper

Let me know if you need foster assistance. I should have no problem finding her a good home. She looks like a perfectly good dog. She may not need to be left alone in a yard since she is a flight risk. But many people are willing to kennel their dogs inside or just leave them inside when they are not home for the safety of their dog.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this. The dog, now named "scrappy", has been living with us. We had her spayed. She is a great dog, but we still haven't found her a permanent home. I would love to keep her, but 3 dogs is too much for us, and our other dogs don't really like her. Until this point we've been trying friends/word of mouth to find her a home, but we are going to go the adoption agency route now. Keep your ears open if you hear of someone looking for a good dog. She is very affectionate and playful.

flipper

Just a quick update on this. The dog, now named "scrappy", has been living with us. We had her spayed. She is a great dog, but we still haven't found her a permanent home. I would love to keep her, but 3 dogs is too much for us, and our other dogs don't really like her. Until this point we've been trying friends/word of mouth to find her a home, but we are going to go the adoption agency route now. Keep your ears open if you hear of someone looking for a good dog. She is very affectionate and playful.

flipper

I'll take her and find her a home. Can you hold her for two more weeks?

You can also email Nicole Sica at Houston Examiner. She might be able to run a story and find them a home. Her email address is: editor@poocini.com

Also, email Scouts Honor may be able to assist you as well. Their email is: info@scoutshonor.org

The website is http://www.scoutshonor.org/?id=1

Nicole is part of my network. She wrote about one of my fosters, Cookie.

You can also email Nicole Sica at Houston Examiner. She might be able to run a story and find them a home. Her email address is: editor@poocini.com

Also, email Scouts Honor may be able to assist you as well. Their email is: info@scoutshonor.org

The website is http://www.scoutshonor.org/?id=1

You must be an animal lover too. Not many people know about Nicole Sica unless they are.

I've been entertaining the thought of getting a dog, but that's all I've done for now. Scrappy looks like a cute lil' creature, but it sounds like she's escape prone.

Check out the following. Cookie is an awesome dog that is not a flight risk. He would need to be an indoor dog with occasional romps in the back yard rather than the other way around.

Cookie

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13854547

Archived