University of Houston Chancellor's Sweet Deal At The University

LarryDallas

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=6804334

Just some of the notable things:

$425K salary

rent free/bill free living in a $6 million mansion.

$3600 per month cost of maintaining landscaping at mansion.

$50K car for free with driver, free gasoline, and free washes.

$14K a year membership to the Houstonian.

Opera tickets

$500 bed sheets

Large screen HDTVs with pretty much all channels that exist.

Free housekeeping

etc....

I am an 02 grad and back in those days I saw increases in tuition each year as projects that were a total waste of money were being started or completed. Since then, the most major things to have gone up at UH are the parking garage and the fitness/health center which were both a total waste of money and multimillion dollar projects.

Um, that was back when the economy was still growing each year. The times in which we now live call for frugal spending at a PUBLIC school. If this was Rice or St. Thomas they could pay the chancellor more than Alex Rodriguez and that would be fine with me.

It's deplorable that students have to take on debt to pay ever increasing tuition with the excuse for said increases being inflation or expansion of the university for a better experience when much of it is just blatant in your face wasteful spending.

Scroll to the end of the page in the link to see an XLS file on tuition increases from 02-08.

This is DEPLORABLE and I was disgusted by this video. :angry:

I wonder if she'll get dragged through the garbage ala Priscilla Slade?

I doubt it.

For one the broadcast aired the night of the Rockets game and on a Friday night so not as many people saw it. A Monday 10pm time would have been better.

Oh, and all of this is legal because it is in her contract and fully approved by the university/ the board of regents.

actually the show from wed nite was quite hilarious. when she did the coogs sign to wayne dolcefino and said go coogs you couldn't ask for more.

OMG, the flashing of the coogs sign was priceless. Where were her handlers? She looked like she was doing the perp walk. I can't believe she didn't have a prepared sentence or two for when Wayne caught up to her. They knew he was going to be there. Total amatuer hour.

The breaking news from yesterday is that Empress Khatour has hired someone with the title "Chief of Staff' to be her liaison between her, the provost's office and the outside world. WTF? Is this the West Wing?

No one at this PUBLIC school should make more than $150K MAX.

The only perk the chancellor should get is to have reserved parking on the first floor of the garage. No wonder every administrator there has this laid back attitude of "I have a sweet deal, no way I will get fired, and we will never go out of business". I think I should apply for a job shuffling papers and going to lunch "meetings" where everything is paid for.

The chancellor is under the microscope because of a job title. I bet the middle management has a very sweet setup. Put in about 20 years and get a full pension with medical benefits to retire before age 50 and live a low stress life. Nice work if you can get it.

My question is, is this out of line with the compensation packages of the leaders of other Texas public schools?

Of course, don't expect Wayne Dolcefino to dig that deep...it would require more effort and would undermine the drama.

UT System's Chancellor: $750k plus a residence

UT-Austin's President: $600k

That's $1.35 Million between Chancellor & President

A&M System's Chancellor: $504k salary, $150k annual deferred compensation, plus a residence provided

A&M's President: $525k plus a residence provided

That's almost $1.3 Million between Chancellor & President

Texas Tech Chancellor: $412k salary, $230k annual deferred compensation, $24k annual car allowance, residence provided

Texas Tech President: $350k salary, $18k annual car allowance, $42k annual housing allowance

Total annual compensation, over $1.07 million between Chancellor & President

There, that took me all of 10 minutes with Google. Apparently that's too sophisticated for Wayne Dolcefino.

Since Renu Khator serves as both President AND Chancellor of the UH System, it sure as hell sounds to me like the story should have been what a GREAT JOB UH IS DOING OF SAVING MONEY COMPARED TO OTHER LARGE TEXAS SCHOOL SYSTEMS!!!

ALWAYS take what Wayne Dolcefino says with a grain of salt. He's not here to give you the full story, just get his face on TV and make a lot of noise.

My question is, is this out of line with the compensation packages of the leaders of other Texas public schools?

Since Renu Khator serves as both President AND Chancellor of the UH System, it sure as hell sounds to me like the story should have been what a GREAT JOB UH IS DOING OF SAVING MONEY COMPARED TO OTHER LARGE TEXAS SCHOOL SYSTEMS!!!

Just because other schools have this kind of compensation does not make it okay for UH to do it. UH is a very different type of school from the other you listed. This is not the traditional 4 years away from home and all you do is go to school and go back home for breaks and summer. There are many people who work full/part time to make tuition and most people live off campus so there are added expenses. A&M and UT are very traditional in that way and their students are not as strapped for cash as UN conterparts are; in my experince. Yeah, someone drove around the UH campus in an Aston Martin when I was there and I am sure some kids at UT and A&M eat ramen noodles as a staple by necessity. But looking at the bigger picture UH students do not come from as privilaged homes.

No one with power at the univeristy seems to think "maybe if we quit spending $120K a year on alcohol or sold the 6 million dollar mansion that requires $400K of upkeep each year as well as cut other wasteful spending the tuition will not rise over 50% in 6 years".

I have no personal beef with Khator but she is not saving anyone money. She, as well as any other chancellor, could set an example and say they will forfiet all of the perks and put the money back into the school to maybe start a chancellor's scholarship fund that is distributed in a way where the maximum number of students get a lower fee bill. Even a drop of a few hundred dollars can mean one text book that is less of a financial burden to buy.

Wayne's report at least got them to cut the booze and food out of their spending; so they say.

He should keep attacking them like a maddog. I'm no Wayne fan because the hurricane Rita reporting he did was pure stupidity but he's right on this one and I love when he goes after METRO and HISD officials that also waste money and just do not care about the consequences.

If anyone defends their booze, $200+ lunches, and trips to India on the students' dime then you are defending the indefensible.

Of course, don't expect Wayne Dolcefino to dig that deep...it would require more effort and would undermine the drama.

UT System's Chancellor: $750k plus a residence

UT-Austin's President: $600k

That's $1.35 Million between Chancellor & President

A&M System's Chancellor: $504k salary, $150k annual deferred compensation, plus a residence provided

A&M's President: $525k plus a residence provided

That's almost $1.3 Million between Chancellor & President

Texas Tech Chancellor: $412k salary, $230k annual deferred compensation, $24k annual car allowance, residence provided

Texas Tech President: $350k salary, $18k annual car allowance, $42k annual housing allowance

Total annual compensation, over $1.07 million between Chancellor & President

There, that took me all of 10 minutes with Google. Apparently that's too sophisticated for Wayne Dolcefino.

ALWAYS take what Wayne Dolcefino says with a grain of salt. He's not here to give you the full story, just get his face on TV and make a lot of noise.

Sounds like UH got a bargain to me!

Regarding the "6 million dollar" Wortham House:

It was was donated.

Regarding all the "perks":

Even if you add up the cost of all the perks, you are still no where near the compensation level of other comparable positions in the state.

Regarding the, *GASP*, 50,000 cadillac:

Oh no! Someone who makes almost half a mil per year drives a 50k car? How luxurious!

Regarding the argument that UH president doesn't deserve her relatively small compensation package because UH students are "poor" compared to, apparently, every other large school in the state:

UH student tuition money provides only a fraction of the budget of the university. Most of the funding comes from the state. Therefore, all of the taxpayers of Texas are paying Dr. Khator's salary. It has nothing to do with how "poor" UH students are.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=6804334

Just some of the notable things:

$425K salary

rent free/bill free living in a $6 million mansion.

$3600 per month cost of maintaining landscaping at mansion.

$50K car for free with driver, free gasoline, and free washes.

$14K a year membership to the Houstonian.

Opera tickets

$500 bed sheets

Large screen HDTVs with pretty much all channels that exist.

Free housekeeping

etc....

I am an 02 grad and back in those days I saw increases in tuition each year as projects that were a total waste of money were being started or completed. Since then, the most major things to have gone up at UH are the parking garage and the fitness/health center which were both a total waste of money and multimillion dollar projects.

Um, that was back when the economy was still growing each year. The times in which we now live call for frugal spending at a PUBLIC school. If this was Rice or St. Thomas they could pay the chancellor more than Alex Rodriguez and that would be fine with me.

It's deplorable that students have to take on debt to pay ever increasing tuition with the excuse for said increases being inflation or expansion of the university for a better experience when much of it is just blatant in your face wasteful spending.

Scroll to the end of the page in the link to see an XLS file on tuition increases from 02-08.

This is DEPLORABLE and I was disgusted by this video. :angry:

Hearing all that compensation/benefit information at once might be overwhelming if you don't have other campuses to compare it to. You might be interested to see survey results from the Chronicle of Higher Education. There are annual surveys of faculty salaries, administration salaries, fundraising results, tuition rates. And the data are usually divided into private institutions and public.

http://chronicle.com/stats/salary/salary.htm

Nuts, I forgot you have to have a subscription. The information is readily available. I bet if you went to any one of the local campuses they'd have e-subscriptions to the Chronicle so you can access the data if you didn't want to fork out the $$ for your own subscription. Even HCC has a subscription, but you have to be on-campus to access it on-line.

I don't think it goes into detail about sets of bedsheets but usually items like car+driver, social memberships, and housing allocations are listed. Frankly, it's not hard to spend $500 on sheets if you have 2 sets plus a couple extra pillow cases. That's not an out of the ordinary value.

Here are the top of university presidents' compensation from the above post:

PUBLIC

State:

Delaware

Institution:

U. of Delaware

Name:

David P. Roselle (Resigned June 2007)

Salary:

(Public funds) - $2,377,000

(Private sources) - $0

Car:

1 car provided by state

House:

1 house provided by state

Other:

$74,689 employee benefits

*Salary includes separation payments, such as deferred compensation and accrued vacation time.

Total compensation:

$2,451,689

Year reported:

2006-7

PRIVATE

Institution:

Suffolk University

Employee:

David J. Sargent

2006-7 pay:

$872,000

2006-7 benefits:

$1,928,461

Expense account:

$17,995

2006-7 total compensation:

$2,800,461

Note:

The president's salary includes $436,000 in base pay and a $436,000 longevity bonus. Benefits include a $1,190,000 deferred sabbatical bonus, $555,667 in deferred compensation, a capped performance bonus of $87,200, and $56,262 in health, dental, and other retirement benefits. The president does not receive a housing allowance or the use of a university-owned house.

If anyone defends their booze, $200+ lunches, and trips to India on the students' dime then you are defending the indefensible.

I will defend it.

The reputation that you're talking about that makes UH different from UT or A&M is one reason that it is very difficult for UH to compete for the best professors and researchers. Perks are a very important part of compensation and in many respects actually have a greater impact on prospective new faculty than the cost of the perks would if added to total salary. I would posit that a little booze now and then on an expense account is far more cost-effective than raising the salaries of faculty to such a level as to effect no net change in employee satisfaction.

It needs to be borne in mind that UH must compete with other universities for the best faculty; good faculty can be good faculty regardless of where they are faculty, after all, so putting aside some notion that they should achieve intrinsic satisfaction from doing their jobs well, their sole remaining consideration is which university will offer them the best lifestyle. If UH won't compete for them, then the quality of the education suffers...and then you'll only end up with Wayne Dolcefino doing an expose on the crappy staff at UH and on incompetent graduates. That'll hurt the reputation of UH graduates like you and me far more than well-compensated professors ever could.

I will defend it.

The reputation that you're talking about that makes UH different from UT or A&M is one reason that it is very difficult for UH to compete for the best professors and researchers. Perks are a very important part of compensation and in many respects actually have a greater impact on prospective new faculty than the cost of the perks would if added to total salary. I would posit that a little booze now and then on an expense account is far more cost-effective than raising the salaries of faculty to such a level as to effect no net change in employee satisfaction.

It needs to be borne in mind that UH must compete with other universities for the best faculty; good faculty can be good faculty regardless of where they are faculty, after all, so putting aside some notion that they should achieve intrinsic satisfaction from doing their jobs well, their sole remaining consideration is which university will offer them the best lifestyle. If UH won't compete for them, then the quality of the education suffers...and then you'll only end up with Wayne Dolcefino doing an expose on the crappy staff at UH and on incompetent graduates. That'll hurt the reputation of UH graduates like you and me far more than well-compensated professors ever could.

Thank you, Niche. This is exactly right. Additionally, a whole lot of what a university president/chancellor does is fundraising and public relations, rubbing elbows with a lot of very rich people. He/she needs to be able to "fit in."

I'm rather late to this, but I agree with Niche's opinion on this.

While I usually take Wayne D's investigative reports with a grain of salt, he chose (so far) not to compare the different universities around the state and nation, particularly with those on par with UH, which really irritated me.

Those that feel that she should have her head set on a pike have no real idea on how fund raising and playing politics is done.

It's something that I abhor, but unfortunately, it's a necessary evil these days, particularly in light since they are trying to increase their status and play with the big boys at UT and A&M.

Two other things to consider: 1.) most potential candidates for the position, just like potential candidates for the presidency of any large organization, will likely have significant prior experience in upper administration. They are already in that salary ballpark.

and

2.) Being the president of a university is a 24-hour job. You don't leave your office at 5:00 and go sit by the pool of your swankienda. You go to dinners, receptions, meetings, and conferences. You go to your institution's sporting events, performing arts events, scientific presentations, guest lectures, and dozens of other things. You travel outside the country to other institutions frequently (if you are concerned with building an international reputation.) A lot of those "frivolous luxuries" make those things possible.

Nine months of "community supervision" for Wayne Dolcefino after pleading no contest to trespassing in Austin County. According to the story he "messed with" the electronic keypad on the gate to Leroy Hermes' ranch until the gate opened...then entered the property and videotaped.

What's that saying about those in glass houses?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6421071.html

UofH administration has a LOT of issues, but Dr. Khator's benefits since she came here have FAR OUTWEIGHED any little watchdogging that Wayne Dolcefino could do. People around the country are actually starting to notice the University of Houston. We are in the midst of a massive campaign for Tier 1 (and are seriously in the running compared to other emerging universities around the state). UofH just landed a major partnership in the Texas Med Center that boosted the research expenditures by $7mil in a single swoop. So yeah, I have no problem with her getting star treatment as long as she's producing world-class results.

The bar tabs OTOH are not just for recruiting... most of those dumb dumbs are dropping change like that on daily lunches. That's what got to stop.

And the reports don't help anything... they just make things tighter for the departments that aren't doing anything wrong. The administration forces us to cut back on the occasional staff luncheon or outing, which is essential to our morale and funcionality at work. Fair???

I will defend it.

That's defending the indefensible.

UH offers a college education to people at a value price, or at least it used to. What you call perks, the completely wasteful spending and borderline criminal behavior of taking tourist excursions half way around the world for specualtive projects which do not even come anywhere close to materializing are not helping the status of the university at all.

Tier 1 and affordable are not things than can co-exist. That's like saying Cadillac should sell you can Escalade that has a large V8 engine and gets 50 mpg priced at $20K; just not possible.

The dirty little secret any university does not disclose is that once you get out of school and into a career you forget 95%+ of the material that is "book knowledge" and pick up 95%+ of the practical real world knowledge that is in your career. I had only one professor at UH admit to this. The idea that "we need to have world class instructors or our grads will be totally useless in the real world" is a total lie.

The recruiters who offer people with a bachelor's degree a $20K+ signing bonus and a $100K+ job right out of school will still mostly go to Rice or St. Thomas. Alums of those private schools belong to an exclusive club and it is all about access.

My reputation is based on my performance as a worker and the quality of my work once I entered the workforce. Getting that initial job was reliant on where I went to school. Now 7 years out it matters what I know and what I can do. UH become a tier 1 school or being driven down to junior college status will have no impact whatsoever on my life. The current students who will graudate soon are deeper in debt thanks to increasing costs and they face the worst job market in modern American history. This is the wrong time for the admin. to have a good time.

I guess my crime is giving a rat's behind about students that are still there and what kind of things they are having to pay for that do not benefit them.

BTW, do you work for UH or any public funded entity, govt. or otherwise?

It says you're a dumbass for buying something so energy-inefficient and susceptible to hail, is what it says.

Is it ok for me to use that? I'll give you credit and all! :lol:

That's defending the indefensible.

Firstly, let me put to bed this phrase that you keep using, "defending the indefensible." If a defense is mustered then the objective is being defended and is not indefensible; the success or failure of a defense is irrelevant.

UH offers a college education to people at a value price, or at least it used to. What you call perks, the completely wasteful spending and borderline criminal behavior of taking tourist excursions half way around the world for specualtive projects which do not even come anywhere close to materializing are not helping the status of the university at all.

Tier 1 and affordable are not things than can co-exist. That's like saying Cadillac should sell you can Escalade that has a large V8 engine and gets 50 mpg priced at $20K; just not possible.

That's what UH-D is for, and it's only a few miles away. Just as Toyota has Lexus, Honda has Acura, and Nissan has Infiniti, the UH System has the UH central campus.

For reasons that I have previously explained, UH-D is never going to be as good a quality of an education or as well regarded by employers. They aren't spending enough money to make UH-D a premier institution, nor should they, because you are correct that there is a need for college education at bargain basement prices. But there is also a public need for education of higher quality and repute.

The dirty little secret any university does not disclose is that once you get out of school and into a career you forget 95%+ of the material that is "book knowledge" and pick up 95%+ of the practical real world knowledge that is in your career. I had only one professor at UH admit to this.

I don't know what your field of study was, but I use my economic and financial knowledge from UH every single day without exception.

True, I've forgotten some obscure subject matter, such as calculus, but then again a subject like calculus is rarely an ends in itself. For instance, as it pertains to game theory, I don't go around diagramming and solving for payoff matrices or using the Stackelberg model to solve for subgame perfect Nash equilibria in turn-based duopolistic competitive games (anymore). But I know what the concepts mean, and my understanding of them would be merely superficial if they hadn't used the calculus as a tool to make me think about the concepts in greater depth.

The recruiters who offer people with a bachelor's degree a $20K+ signing bonus and a $100K+ job right out of school will still mostly go to Rice or St. Thomas.

Are you kidding me!? Rice primarily focuses on liberal arts, and those jobs don't pay especially well. There may be some engineers that come out of Rice that could pull off salaries and bonuses like that when the energy industry is hot, but otherwise their undergraduate business program is not regarded even remotely as well as UH's. And St. Thomas isn't even a consideration.

Also, those schools have very limited capacity or willingness to grow their student body. Houston is growing and it needs a top tier university that can grow alongside it. UH-Central is it.

My reputation is based on my performance as a worker and the quality of my work once I entered the workforce. Getting that initial job was reliant on where I went to school. Now 7 years out it matters what I know and what I can do. UH become a tier 1 school or being driven down to junior college status will have no impact whatsoever on my life. The current students who will graudate soon are deeper in debt thanks to increasing costs and they face the worst job market in modern American history. This is the wrong time for the admin. to have a good time.

I guess my crime is giving a rat's behind about students that are still there and what kind of things they are having to pay for that do not benefit them.

BTW, do you work for UH or any public funded entity, govt. or otherwise?

Here's a little biographical information: I graduated from UH only a few years ago with no debt, and this is coming from someone who initially moved to Houston to go to UH and had only $2000 in cash and a $1000 scholarship, not some rich kid from the suburbs who lived with their parents. ...now I am unemployed and my 6.5-year real estate career is pretty much trashed along with the whole industry. Suddenly I'm finding out that education is important again. And although folks from my generation have a higher regard for UH than was the case in previous generations, it's the previous generations that make hiring decisions.

For my sake and for the sake of all of its alums and students, UH needs to improve its reputation and increase its footprint in academia and business. That means that they need good faculty. And that means that you have to pay the faculty well. You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

For the record, I'm not saying that your point that there needs to be an affordable four-year university is invalid, just that UH-D already exists to address it.

Is it ok for me to use that? I'll give you credit and all! :lol:

Take it. It's yours.

The recruiters who offer people with a bachelor's degree a $20K+ signing bonus and a $100K+ job right out of school will still mostly go to Rice or St. Thomas. Alums of those private schools belong to an exclusive club and it is all about access.

St. Thomas an exclusive club? Say what?

Firstly, let me put to bed this phrase that you keep using, "defending the indefensible." If a defense is mustered then the objective is being defended and is not indefensible; the success or failure of a defense is irrelevant.

Are you kidding me!? Rice primarily focuses on liberal arts, and those jobs don't pay especially well. There may be some engineers that come out of Rice that could pull off salaries and bonuses like that when the energy industry is hot, but otherwise their undergraduate business program is not regarded even remotely as well as UH's. And St. Thomas isn't even a consideration.

Also, those schools have very limited capacity or willingness to grow their student body.

Rice made its reputation in science and engineering. In the last third of the twentieth century they began to give more priority to the humanities. They created a music school and a business school, and enhanced the architecture school. Now of course, with nanotech and biotech one might legitimately argue that those fields are Rice's biggest strengths. But I have NEVER heard anyone say that Rice primarily focuses on liberal arts. St. Thomas, yes.

You are correct that Rice has never really figured out what to do with its undergraduate business program. When I was there it was considered the major of last resort for those who couldn't cut a "real" major, and the institutional philosophy was quite strong that professional studies in business were only meaningful at the graduate level. Rice is building new residential colleges and expanding the existing ones, with the goal to increase the student body about 30% in the next five years. Beyond that, probably not so very much.

Rice made its reputation in science and engineering. In the last third of the twentieth century they began to give more priority to the humanities. They created a music school and a business school, and enhanced the architecture school. Now of course, with nanotech and biotech one might legitimately argue that those fields are Rice's biggest strengths. But I have NEVER heard anyone say that Rice primarily focuses on liberal arts. St. Thomas, yes.

You are correct that Rice has never really figured out what to do with its undergraduate business program. When I was there it was considered the major of last resort for those who couldn't cut a "real" major, and the institutional philosophy was quite strong that professional studies in business were only meaningful at the graduate level. Rice is building new residential colleges and expanding the existing ones, with the goal to increase the student body about 30% in the next five years. Beyond that, probably not so very much.

I like your description of Rice's strengths better. My information is primarily coming from people I've worked with that have graduated from Rice, and their background was liberal arts, so there's probably some knowledge bias there on my part. Still, out of science, engineering, liberal arts, architecture, and music...only engineering is going to land anybody a six-digit salary right out of college.

My sources have always held that Rice is very happy with the enrollment levels they currently have, but I suppose that that may have changed in recent years. I defer to you.

I like your description of Rice's strengths better. My information is primarily coming from people I've worked with that have graduated from Rice, and their background was liberal arts, so there's probably some knowledge bias there on my part. Still, out of science, engineering, liberal arts, architecture, and music...only engineering is going to land anybody a six-digit salary right out of college.

My sources have always held that Rice is very happy with the enrollment levels they currently have, but I suppose that that may have changed in recent years. I defer to you.

Thanks. The decision to increase enrollment is a result of some fairly recent and detailed self-study and apparently was fairly unanimously supported among the administration, faculty, and students. It's no secret but it wasn't all that widely publicized outside Rice. My own little part of the University is not planning any increases in enrollment, however. And, yes, you are right about the six-figure salaries. With one small caveat -- it is theoretically possible to get a position in a major orchestra and start at around $100,000. Of course such positions are very rare and the people who get them right out of undergrad school are unusually talented. This is why almost all orchestral musicians go to grad school.

When I was there in the early 80's, the Chem E and Bioc programs were considered the fastest track to big money. Of course, it wasn't easy money, and lots of people washed out. Now I would doubt that even engineering, while still popular, is automatically going to get anyone a job.

Comp Sci also tends to attract a lot of students and have a high placement rate. And now that I think of it, a lot of humanities majors do wind up in financial or real estate careers, which is probably why you encountered some. Before its downfall, Arthur Andersen was a big employer of fresh Rice graduates.

• The title was changed to University of Houston Chancellor's Sweet Deal At The University

Archived