Chong Hua Sheng Mu Holy Palace At 3695 Overture Dr.

lunchbox

Does anyone know what this was? It looks like the world's biggest golf tee to me.

No idea exactly what it is, but since it looked like it might be related to religion, I poked around and found this

place named Chong Hua Sheng Mu Holy Palace‎ at 3695 Overture Dr. I don't know if that's the right one, since Google Maps shows it a bit more to the north on Overture Dr., but I"d say that's the most likely match, due to the "palace-y" apperance of the front facade.

Edited by sabasushi

I saw a poster of it once at a "Chinese vegetarian buffet" on Westheimer, so it is some kind of Eastern religious temple. I use to live in Mission Bend (down the street) until like 1998 and I always wondered what the heck that was.

• 8 months later...

I'm putting this in the historic section becauase though this building is still standing...there's no activity there....and as far as I know, hasn't for years.

In high school we used to drive by this thing to figure out what it is.

It's near the Alief area....it's off Dairy Ashford south of Westheimer, but before you get to Elsik/Hastings cross-street (name of that street is escaping me).

Anyone know what I'm talking about?? Any history on it if you do??

Here's a link to a picture I found by googling: http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x277/ma.../GoldGlobe2.jpg

I'm putting this in the historic section becauase though this building is still standing...there's no activity there....and as far as I know, hasn't for years.

It's near the Alief area....it's off Dairy Ashford south of Westheimer, but before you get to Elsik/Hastings cross-street (name of that street is escaping me).

Here's a link to a picture I found by googling: http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x277/ma.../GoldGlobe2.jpg

Definitely an interesting story there - Swamplot had a good write-up on it earlier this year: Link

I had to go pull the vending machine out of this place, some time after it closed. (would have been year 2000"ish")

The place was infested with rat's, and not much to look at inside. I had to get the rats out of the machine before I could load it on the truck! :blink:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

elnina999 has added a photo to the pool:

Chong Hua Sheng Mu Holy Palace

And then there was… this thing, this sprawling empty complex, this five-story square building topped by a 40-foot golden geodesic dome, flanked by two smaller domes. Two exterior staircases flanked these orbs – the overall effect was something like a sawed-off Mayan temple of the sun.
The building is the Chong Hua Sheng Mu Holy Palace, built by members of the Wu-Wei Tien Tao Association, a Chinese universalist religious organization.
More here: swamplot.com/most-unknown-ashford-point-palace-of-the-gol...

Click here to view this photo at the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr

And then there was… this thing, this sprawling empty complex, this five-story square building topped by a 40-foot golden geodesic dome, flanked by two smaller domes. Two exterior staircases flanked these orbs – the overall effect was something like a sawed-off Mayan temple of the sun.
The building is the Chong Hua Sheng Mu Holy Palace, built by members of the Wu-Wei Tien Tao Association, a Chinese universalist religious organization.

• 9 months later...
  • The title was changed to Odd Building Off Of Dairy Ashford