Moving temporarly to Houston

lili

Hello,

I am from Switzerland and I am moving to Houston to work for 2 months this summer.

I will work at the Houston Grand Opera.

I am looking for a a short term apartment rental (studio), near the theater (if it's possible). I would like an area that has a commercial shop and restaurants. I don't have a car and here in Geneva I use to go with a bicycle.

Thak you in advance for your help, it is my first visit in Houston...

I'm going to say downtown or midtown. When you say short term, how short a term?

The Humble Tower Apartments are on our limited rail system. The Rice Hotel Lofts are just 3 blocks from the Wortham Theater and also on the rail line.

I'm going to say downtown or midtown. When you say short term, how short a term?

The Humble Tower Apartments are on our limited rail system. The Rice Hotel Lofts are just 3 blocks from the Wortham Theater and also on the rail line.

Is it near the Opera theater? I start in July.

I am from Switzerland and I am moving to Houston to work for 2 months this summer.

You may have a problem finding someone willing to lease a space for only 2 months.

Welcome to Houston!

That said, you should try and come in December next time! It's going to be very HOT and HUMID compared to Geneva.

Your best bet would be the Post Rice Lofts. It's a short 3 or 4 block walk to the Wortham Theater (Opera House) from there. There's ground floor retail space there but you'd also be within a 10 block walk to Bayou Place (restaurants, bars, movie theater), Discovery Green (park and restaurants) and the new Houston Pavilions (outdoor mall). You'd also be just a block away from the rail line that can take you to Midtown (bars, restaurants, grocery store called Randall's), the Museum District, and Hermann Park.

Other options would be to live anywhere along the rail line, which is just a simple North (downtown) to South route. Zip codes where you can search for rentals would include (77002 downtown and northern midtown), 77004 (midtown), 77005 (Hermann Park/Rice U area), and 77030 (Southgate area near the Medical Center).

Also, there is a poster here on this board who works for the Houston Grand Opera. You might want to track him down. I know he lives just East of downtown.

Since you'll be here only a short time and, I'm assuming, you'll need a furnished unit, you may not have a great many choices. I'd suggest you look into one of the corporate stay services like Marriott Execustay. I got into that recently in a work-related situation. We didn't end up going with anyone because the guy cancelled on us, but I remember several promising things came up when I included "short-term" and "furnished" in my Googling.

But to echo others here, Rice Lofts would be an excellent choice. Post Midtown another one. Both pricey, but you didn't indicate any budgetary restrictions.

Thank you very much for all the information! I'm going to study all.

I know it will be very hot but it doesn't matter! I don't have the choise... And we use to say here if you can live in Geneva with our climate (cloudy during a months...) you can live anywhere!

Museum district...bicycle ride to parks, downtown, restaurants, museums and by virtue of being bicycle ride from downtown, you will be bicycle ride from theaters. Good luck and enjoy your stay. Bring clothing for very hot weather.

The museum district is close to Bissonnet, Montrose, Main streets. In fact, if you are working for the opera, you would probably be able to find a garage apartment from one of the patrons of the opera.

Yeah I'd also consider the museum district and Montrose. Both cool neighborhoods and close to the theater district. If you really want to walk to the theater though you should probably only consider Downtown and maybe some parts of Midtown.

I know a lot of Europeans who come to Houston to work in the Medical Center and most of them get bikes and ride around the city without too many problems (except the occasional issue with crazy Houston drivers).

Houston House Apartments will do short term leases. I know they'll do four month leases, but I'm not sure about 2 months. I think Post Rice Lofts also offers short-term leases. Humble Tower is probably out of the question, because demand is so high for those units. I'm on a very long waitlist there for a one year lease. Agents Terry Stanfield and Sandra Gunn both have many units downtown, so you might try contacting their offices and seeing if they have anything that would be suitable for your purposes.

http://www.har.com/terrystanfield

http://www.gunn.net/

A few other ideas of places that are within very reasonable bicycle distance (<1.5 miles):

Lofts At The Ballpark

Camden City Centre

Camden Midtown

Post Midtown

Midtown has the most happening as far as shops and bars and etc.

places.jpg

Is it near the Opera theater? I start in July.

Greetings!! I work with HGO as well. Contact the HR staff members for HGO (if you need specific names, just prvt me). They keep a running list of patrons that are always willing to host HGO's guest artists, and normally at a reduced cost. For your situation, I highly recommend Midtown or the Montrose.

Archived