Fort Bend Property Tax Appraisals

Brak

Got my new tax appraisal today.......while the rest of the country's home values are dropping, mine went up.

5 year old house up in value by $6,000. I live in Parkway Lakes.

I guess I shouldn't complain as I see only 1 or 2 empty houses in the neighborhood..........

I haven't received the formal notice in the mail but looked online. Looks like our market value went down but they still took the appraised value up the alloted 10%. At the end of the day I think we will be taxed on a higher base (although i still need to sit down and look at it closely).

Mine is up again too. I think I will finally have to protest as I do not want to take any more increases in my escrow causing my payments to go up again.

Something is amiss here. My appraisal went up 32% while home prices are dropping everywhere. I live in Cinco Ranch Southwest. I also see other homes in the vicinity with the exact same house design appraised for less.

Does anyone know what is going on down at the appraisal district? Something doesn't add up here.

Mine went up 20K...thanks fort bend. :angry2: 65K totaling in the last 3 years.

We live in Falcon Ranch, Our home went up 25% last year and this year it has remained FLAT. It did not go up nor down. In my other house, in the same subdivision, the value was also FLAT. I am actually going to go fight it (I want it to be lower I believe they are too high) this is the first time that I actually am going to do it, does anybody know if it is hard for them to try to lower the value and what do I have to do. ANY help is appreciated, thanks. :blink:

To my understanding you can only dispute it so many times. So they get you one way or the other.

Plus when you have things capped such as the school taxes, etc the only way they have around that is to continually raise your property taxes.

Again they are going to get it one way or the other.

Home Purchase $110,000, current appraised value $180,000. Can I sell it for that much, no (Priceless)

We live in Falcon Ranch, Our home went up 25% last year and this year it has remained FLAT. It did not go up nor down. In my other house, in the same subdivision, the value was also FLAT. I am actually going to go fight it (I want it to be lower I believe they are too high) this is the first time that I actually am going to do it, does anybody know if it is hard for them to try to lower the value and what do I have to do. ANY help is appreciated, thanks. :blink:

One of ways to protest the house appraisal value is to have a house market value analysis - the average sold price ($/sq ft) of comparable houses in your neighborhood or nearby. If current appraisal value is much more than that, you have a case. :P

One of ways to protest the house appraisal value is to have a house market value analysis - the average sold price ($/sq ft) of comparable houses in your neighborhood or nearby. If current appraisal value is much more than that, you have a case. :P

You can actually protest every year if you want, but it's pointless if you don't have a case. They're not going to negate the raises simply because you show up.

Talk with you favorite realtor and have them run a CMA for you. It's the best way to determine what your house SHOULD be appraised for.

And guys, keep in mind, that most of the neighborhoods in Katy south of I-10, actually did go up in value this last year.

b

I protested last year as I have two houses next to me that are bigger and have much less tax. WHY??? because they are white trash homes and therefor considered unsalable. If you want to lower your taxes, let your house go to shit and take picctures of termite dam,age or just an overgrown lawn with gargage strewn about. This is the only way to lower it. BRING disquising pics Welcome to the USA.

Got my new tax appraisal today.......while the rest of the country's home values are dropping, mine went up.

5 year old house up in value by $6,000. I live in Parkway Lakes.

I guess I shouldn't complain as I see only 1 or 2 empty houses in the neighborhood..........

Does anyone have any experience with protesting at the Fort Bend CAD based on unequal appraisal?

My understanding is that at HCAD (Harris County), they will not consider unequal appraisal at the informal hearing, you must go to the ARB.

Is FBCAD the same way?

A co-worker has a patio home in Grand Lakes, all the other patio homes of the same size are appraised $7k less than hers.

We think there is probably a difference in the factors used in the mass appraisal in her record, is there any way to see what the factors are in the records for the identical homes in the hood?

We are hoping she can just go to the informal and get this corrected.

Based on the comparable sales data, these homes are under appraised at 91%, so we do not see any benefit in protesting based on comparable sales.

I've bought a new construction home in Seven Meadows in Aug 2008. My property appraised as $20K more than what I bought. I went to fort bend county appraisal district on Friday to protest. I have shown them my closing HUD statement and they adjusted the price to what I have paid for the home. I have asked for more, after 10 minutes of discussions, I have finally said OK to adjust to my purchase price.

Thanks

Avalon at Seven Meadows.....+10% this year.

And I protested myself last year before the review board, gaining some relief. However, IF they know what you paid for your property, and sometimes that information is submitted to them, they WILL NOT concede to a lower amount, no matter the comps in the area that show less for similiar homes. I know because it happened to me.

Finally, check your assessments closely if you own a pool....in 2008 Ft. Bend capped the value of built-in pools at $10k and built-in hot tubs at $2k.

My house's appraisal value go up 10% this year.

I checked several my friends's houses and their house's appraisal values go up a lot too.

I think the appraisal value is based on Jan.'s market value.

Fort Bend's average and median sale price in Jan. 2009 drop more than 5%.

http://recenter.tamu.edu/data/hs/hs230b.htm

What is wrong here. Is there anybody can explain this situation?

BUT, the appraisal value of Patsy Schultz ( the Tax Assessor-Collector )'s house ( 214 Terrace Creek CT, Richmond, TX 77469 ) drops almost 10%.

• 4 weeks later...

My home went up in appraised value from $300K to $343K out in Cinco Ranch! I was upset because I have a popular Village floorplan that was built several times within a mile of my house. I looked up all those addresses at fbcad.org and they ranged in value from $286K to $320K.

For my protest, I drove around, took pictures of the 10 lowest priced homes of my exact floorplan (including 2 on my street but all were within a mile) and sent them a nice writeup. The lowest price on these was $286K and the average was about $294K. I also included a copy of my closing statement from purchasing the home in 2008 for $290K.

They replied with a form scheduling me for a board hearing and requesting a copy of the appraisal from the purchase. I don't have a copy and have a request in with the bank, but have refinanced since then so they are not sure if they retained the record. I think it was just a little over $300K

They also included a one-page sheet that had a list of addresses that they used as comps to come up with my value. Thes are completely random addresses, and none of them even resemble my home.

Am I way off base to say that I should be appraised at no more than what I paid, given that they have appraised so many nearly identical homes to mine at closer to what I paid and within a close range of each other? Many of those other homes that are appraised less than mine are even on larger lots or have extra upgrades. I am not the original owner and whoever built this house did almost nothing in the way of upgrades. Also, if they came to my $343K price using a list of comp addresses, what comp addresses where used to appraise the value of the other houses of my same floorplan? The same floorplan four doors down is appraised at $286!

I am thinking about going in to talk informally before the hearing to plead my case. Does my reasoning sound like something that would be reasonable to them? It is of course reasonable to me, but I am not sure what the official rules are here with the appriasal office. Thanks for your advice.

Does anyone have any experience with protesting at the Fort Bend CAD based on unequal appraisal?

My understanding is that at HCAD (Harris County), they will not consider unequal appraisal at the informal hearing, you must go to the ARB.

Is FBCAD the same way?

A co-worker has a patio home in Grand Lakes, all the other patio homes of the same size are appraised $7k less than hers.

We think there is probably a difference in the factors used in the mass appraisal in her record, is there any way to see what the factors are in the records for the identical homes in the hood?

We are hoping she can just go to the informal and get this corrected.

Based on the comparable sales data, these homes are under appraised at 91%, so we do not see any benefit in protesting based on comparable sales.

Just to follow up, my co-worker was able to get her valuation lowered in the informal hearing based on the unequal appraisal data with no problem

Jefe57

Don't waste your time until your review is scheduled. There are 2 different processes once you get there.

The first process is you and one other person from the appraisal district. State your case and be certain to have your neighborhood comps available for his/her review. Neighborhood comps are those homes similair/like to yours. Because your act of sale clearly shows you paid significantly less, that will be helpful. However, last year I was told at this level of review they are limited to @10% reduction. If you want more and feel you have a case, ask to meet with the review board.

The review board is separate group of people and you will be given a different date and time to meet with them. In the room are 3 "review board officers" and 2 others, one who presents the computerized documents they have and another who records the hearing. They can view your home from satelite shots and street shots on file. Your WORST enemy in the room is the person sitting at the computer presenting the documents to the review board. This person continually fights not to lower the value of the home, not matter how unfair the assessment may be. If they have the original homeowners purchase price, they will try to maintain that is the fair value, plus the years of appreciation.

Stay calm, stay friendly and state your case clearly. The officers will normally rule within reason. They heard my case last year and after 20 minutes lowered my assessment $45,000.

Of note, they could care less about upgrades, etc.... all they care about is square footage, lot size, lot view if viewing water or open park land, comps and the like.

(Just remember they love this process because you are there making a case as to why your neighbor should pay more than you. They take notes and use this crap against the neighbors next year during the assessment phase, and then ultimately it costs us all more down the road. But you have to fight for what is fair. It is a vicious cycle)

• 8 months later...

Late chiming in here but...

I've a got friend on the FBCAD board who is new there, and is going against the grain trying to stand up for the taxpayers. He's up against a lot with the "good 'ol boys" as we call them, who seem to think there are no problems and that customer satisfaction is high.

If you feel there is an inequity in appraisals (i.e. the same exact home models being appraised at different rates), that foreclosures DO affect property values, and that the brand new building they'd like to build at our expense is a bad idea right now (it would serve its main purpose for only the three months out of the whole year for protest season), please show up to the board meetings where public comment is allowed:

Here is the info for it:

3rd Monday of every month, 5pm

2801 B.F. Terry Blvd (FM 2218)

Rosenberg, TX 77471

(through the front door, room on the right)

Archived