HAIF Happy Hour - 5/2009

HAIF Happy Hour - 5/2009  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which dates and times work for your schedule? (Select all that apply.)

• Thursday, May 21st, 6:00PM until it's over
    • Friday, May 22nd, 6:00PM until it's over
    • Saturday May 23rd, 2:00PM until it's over
    • Saturday, May 23rd, 6:00PM until it's over
    • Thursday, May 28th, 6:00PM until it's over
    • Friday, May 29th, 6:00PM until it's over
    • Saturday May 30th, 2:00PM until it's over
    • Saturday, May 30th, 6:00PM until it's over

By popular vote, HAIFers have selected a date and time for their next HAIF Happy Hour. It will be on Friday, May 22nd, from 6:00PM until its over.

We've got volunteers that are bringing the essentials, and anybody else that wants to show up is welcome to. If we run out of booze or other necessities, there is a grocery store next door.

LOCATION: confidential. Sorry, but Google would pick up on the address and would advertise this event until the end of eternity. And I need to keep under the radar.

Anybody that has already told me that they're going to show up is about to receive a PM from me. Anybody that wants to show up need only post to this thread, and I'll relay the address.

ORIGINAL POST: This is how it works: I have a construction site in the East End. It'll work or be made to work as a venue for a HAIF happy hour. 20thStDad is providing a large quantity of homemade brew--which he assures me is really good and also won't kill anybody.

Since the brew won't be available until around Memorial Day and so many people go on vacation starting on the last weekend in May as well, we need you to tell us when you'll be available. The poll allows you you select multiple dates. Click on any and all dates that you would want to attend the event.

Once we've firmed up the date and time, we'll announce it and I'll provide details as to the location.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Large quantity is a relative term, in this case it means about 3 gallons, or about 30 beers. Not a ton, but hey, I'm limited by the equipment I have. I would also suggest people BYOB since it will be no fun to run out of beer. I will bring a pitcher for decanting, but if you want homebrew bring your favorite pint glass. I'll bring a few in case people forget theirs and still want some.

Creative idea, guys. I'm not sure of my schedule yet, but would try to make it whenever.

We can plan offline once there's a date, but I'm happy to bring booze/mixers, etc.

Same here. I've got some folding chairs, too, if you need them.

Oh, don't I know. Like herding cats. Alcoholic, snack-eating cats. ;)

Herding cats is easy. At one time when I was growing up, my family had in excess of 50 cats. We lived in the country and my dad didn't like snakes, so the cats were bred to kill the snakes. All it takes is the sound of dry food hitting the trough in the morning, and from all directions, cats scurry to a single place. They descended the live oaks, emerged from the cedar thickets, swam the creek, and rushed out from under the house, all in one ravenous feline flow.

When it comes right down to it, I suspect that this'll be something like that. Beer, liquor, snacks, and an architecturally-compelling construction site in a walkable urban neighborhood--what more could HAIFers want?

Herding cats is easy. At one time when I was growing up, my family had in excess of 50 cats. We lived in the country and my dad didn't like snakes, so the cats were bred to kill the snakes. All it takes is the sound of dry food hitting the trough in the morning, and from all directions, cats scurry to a single place. They descended the live oaks, emerged from the cedar thickets, swam the creek, and rushed out from under the house, all in one ravenous feline flow.

When it comes right down to it, I suspect that this'll be something like that. Beer, liquor, snacks, and an architecturally-compelling construction site in a walkable urban neighborhood--what more could HAIFers want?

Like a zombie, I began walking in that direction, until I caught myself.

I'm kinda sketchy on drinking and construction sites. I'll have my hard hat, just in case.

No cause for concern. The building is a shell. All structural elements are in place and a fair bit of the improvements or repairs to the structure were overkill.

No cause for concern. The building is a shell. All structural elements are in place and a fair bit of the improvements or repairs to the structure were overkill.

Wait, does that mean no a/c? It's one of my new year's resolutions to deal with the heat and not complain as much, but I don't want to set myself up for failure!

aren't the beers cold?

You better hope so...chilling greatly aids in settling out spent yeast, which really is important since the beer is unfiltered. Not that drinking yeast particles will hurt you (in fact I hear it has nutritious benefits), but it can definitely stir up digestive adventures if you aren't used to it.

But cold drink isn't enough to cool me down. I'll just have a sweaty good time if necessary, and no one can complain because I'm bringing beer!

Wait, does that mean no a/c? It's one of my new year's resolutions to deal with the heat and not complain as much, but I don't want to set myself up for failure!

No air conditioning, yet. In fact, all of my on-site electric comes from one extension cord which runs to the adjacent property--I just pay the neighbor each month. It's cheaper than setting up a temporary pole. That'll be enough juice for our floodlights, a stereo, and maybe some other small device.

No air conditioning, yet. In fact, all of my on-site electric comes from one extension cord which runs to the adjacent property--I just pay the neighbor each month. It's cheaper than setting up a temporary pole. That'll be enough juice for our floodlights, a stereo, and maybe some other small device.

haha...trying to relive hurricane Ike?

Did not answer the date poll..... It has been a while since I've been to HAIFY Hour, so I will open my schedule to whichever date is decided.

Will bring plenty of South of the border rum, but if I can help with anything else, please let me know. See you soon!

P.S. No air conditioning = No shirt. Apologize in advance to the ladies.

Niche, did you ever find a barber or are you still all Grizzly Adams-like?

I had to settle on one at the last moment, but the facial hair has been tamed. I'm OK with the job that was done, but next time I'm just going to buy the kit like someone suggested. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be.

P.S. No air conditioning = No shirt. Apologize in advance to the ladies.

Bring a shirt. The whole building is lined with cantilevering banks of windows, so if there's any kind of a breeze, the whole building gets opened up and airs out quickly. It also has a Duro-Last roof with a ridiculous amount of insulation, so there's zero heat coming through the decking. It's really a very comfortable job site.

If you insist on nudity, maybe you can round up some of us and drive out to McFaddin Beach. I'm probably gonna pass on that, though.

If you insist on nudity, maybe you can round up some of us and drive out to McFaddin Beach. I'm probably gonna pass on that, though.

Sorry to be the bare-r of bad news, but McFaddin Beach is no more, thanks to Ike.

Archived