Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets - Tips?

Hello,

I am contemplating the enormous task of refinishing my existing wooden kitchen cabinets. They are real wood and only have a varnish. Essentially I want to sand them and re-varnish them again. I am looking for some tips:

1. What kind of sander do you recomment? I have a circular one but I am afraid it will leave scratches
  2. Do you recommend to varnish tem with a roller or a good quality paint brush?

Any other tips welcome too .... thanks so much

Hoef

Hello,

I am contemplating the enormous task of refinishing my existing wooden kitchen cabinets. They are real wood and only have a varnish. Essentially I want to sand them and re-varnish them again. I am looking for some tips:

1. What kind of sander do you recomment? I have a circular one but I am afraid it will leave scratches
  2. Do you recommend to varnish tem with a roller or a good quality paint brush?

Any other tips welcome too .... thanks so much

Hoef

I would probably use a random orbital sander to avoid lines.

I would probably use a high quality foam brush, but not the $.50 ones.

flipper

what are you trying to achieve? Varnish is a clear oil based finish. Is there something currently wrong with them? That will really determine what the process is.

Pretty much 20 years wear and tear .... so the colors are off and some of the old varnish wore off, the grooves have dirt, etc... I like the style I just want to freshen it up and have it look "brand new"

I would probably use a random orbital sander to avoid lines.

I would probably use a high quality foam brush, but not the $.50 ones.

flipper

ok, I'll look into that .... never worked w a foam brush before

well if its not too bad, I would just scuff it down with a red scotchbrite pad and revarnish. Dont use a foam brush. Buy the most expensive brush you feel comfortable with. I would removed them and just spray the front, brush the sides.

Archived