Big Tex Storage At 4503 Montrose Blvd.

lockmat

On 1/5/2015 at 10:43 PM, toxtethogrady said:

The cynic in me says in five years they'd just throw the same crap up on the site but five years on. Might as well get it over with; I'm not getting any younger.

And here we are more than five years later, and I'm guessing still waiting, only with a little COVID on top....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Being near the highway might mean its noisy there, but the view would kick butt even from lower floors because you have that road trench and then the open space to see above the tree line. Even on the second floor you'd be able to see the Med Center skyline.

5 minutes ago, HNathoo said:

Correct - I believe current setbacks require them to build 25' from the property line along 59.

Gotcha. The lot is still listed for sale on the MLS for $5.3m, so it sounds like the current owner is looking to get the variance request in order to make the lot more attractive to developers.

19 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

Gotcha. The lot is still listed for sale on the MLS for $5.3m, so it sounds like the current owner is looking to get the variance request in order to make the lot more attractive to developers.

In all likelihood, a developer has this under contract and the purchase is probably subject to getting the variance (probably some additional conditions as well)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, HNathoo said:

In all likelihood, a developer has this under contract and the purchase is probably subject to getting the variance (probably some additional conditions as well)

I own in this pocket, so it’ll be exciting to see if it’ll be commercial residential or commercial office. Would love to see it be something that’ll benefit the neighborhood.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

What’s the best way for nearby property owners to fight this?

There isn't one. As long as the developer meets City of Houston requirements and follows the permitting process correctly, it will get built. That's the way Houston works.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ross said:

There isn't one. As long as the developer meets City of Houston requirements and follows the permitting process correctly, it will get built. That's the way Houston works.

But they’re requesting a variance to build, so it technically doesn’t meet the requirements unless they get an exception. The variance request meeting is scheduled for this Thursday.

I plan on joining the call, but am wondering what type of input from nearby property owners actually has an effect on these types of things.

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 2

To be fair, building the Big Tex storage in the heights is a more objectionable situation than this is. Firstly, it took out a contributing historic building, secondly it ruins a streetscape.

This is a lot next to a freeway. It was always going to be limited. I'll just say that I hope the developer uses tasteful architectural details like making it brick or something so it's kind of invisible, instead putting up aqua stucco with a massive LED sign that says "MEGA STORAGE 713-TOO-MUCH CRAP" on the side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, zaphod said:

To be fair, building the Big Tex storage in the heights is a more objectionable situation than this is. Firstly, it took out a contributing historic building, secondly it ruins a streetscape.

This is a lot next to a freeway. It was always going to be limited. I'll just say that I hope the developer uses tasteful architectural details like making it brick or something so it's kind of invisible, instead putting up aqua stucco with a massive LED sign that says "MEGA STORAGE 713-TOO-MUCH CRAP" on the side.

The brick building at 4503 Montrose is also historic — built in 1920. Former African Art Center space.

This lot needs an art gallery or something. Not a storage facility.

• Like 5