Big Tex Storage At 4503 Montrose Blvd.

lockmat

I drove down Montrose today and I can't figure out where this thing is going to fit. It won't. What's going down for it?

After relooking at the rendering and the map, it looks like they would build over Kyle St. where it dead ends into 59 and convert the two lots into one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

M59.JPG

Midway is also developing M Fifty Nine (rendered above), a Class A office building in the Museum District. It’ll be 13 floors with 74k SF of office space and 7k SF of ground-level retail. Once construction starts in 1Q11, look for it at the intersection of Montrose and 59 — it'll be easy to spot off the highway. The property is designed by Munoz Albin and will have great views of downtown; a GC hasn't been selected. Midway is working with Stream on preleasing and is ramping up the possibility of building another hotel in the Med Center.

http://www.bisnow.com/houston_commercial_real_estate_news_story.php?p=9684

• Like 2

Cool. My thinking is that it will be in the northeast corner of Montrose Blvd & US 59. If so, that's Montrose, not the Museum District. Not to split hairs, but why do people go out of their way not to use the term Montrose?

Cool. My thinking is that it will be in the northeast corner of Montrose Blvd & US 59. If so, that's Montrose, not the Museum District. Not to split hairs, but why do people go out of their way not to use the term Montrose?

you think it's Kyle and Woodrow?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=houston,+tx&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Houston,+Harris,+Texas&gl=us&ei=sl5gTJnoL8H48AaKz4DCDQ&ved=0CCcQ8gEwAA&ll=29.732432,-95.390012&spn=0.000875,0.001203&t=h&z=20

I've never heard of this firm... I didn't think it would be Houston based with a name like that. I was wrong. Most of their projects are in Europe and are rather nice.

I think y'all are right about the NE corner based on that rendering. There is nothing over 3-4 levels along the submerged stretch of 59.. This is going to really stand out.

Not to split hairs.....

Yeah. It is.

Museum District instead of Montrose sounds more prestigious and if you are marketing class A office space, it makes sense.

Nice, street level retail is what is needed right there, and it'll be near other places I can walk to / bike to from my apartment... awesome!

Isn't that tower nearby called "Museum Tower" or something even though it's near Montrose and 59? It's really only 5 or 6 blocks from MFAH so I don't have a problem calling it Museum District...

The application of the term "Museum District" has spread recently to encompass the area up to about W. Alabama, inclusive of the Menil Collection. I don't believe that Montrose proper continues south of W. Alabama except according to the Super Neighborhood boundaries.

I realize there aren't legally binding boundaries here, but I always considered that Montrose extended south to Richmond or 59. The "Museum District" as originally constituted covered an uneven blob of an area to fit in a number of museums. That said, no doubt usage has spread to other neighborhoods in the name of sounding prestigious, just as happened with River Oaks. I've said it before, but Houstonians seem to be great believers in the concept of fictionalizing neighborhood names for marketing purposes. Just ask anyone in "Uptown" or "Eado".

It would be nice to see something like this, but given the state of the real estate and banking markets I would be stunned to see a spec office building get built.

Spec or not, I don't think this office building would have a hard time filling up. Especially at it's location and the size of it (not too big). Not to mention it's a nice looking building that will provide some good views.

I would much rather this sprout up along the Main St. line near the Wheeler station to possibly kickstart something there but infill is infill. You (hopefully) have the University line going in near where this is could possibly be proposed so this project doesn't look too bad. Freeway access is good if you are going 59.

Nice, street level retail is what is needed right there

One would think that wouldn't require a second's thought on the part of the developers but so many highrises round here have passed up the opportunity and continue to do so, and pedestrians are left looking at a stucco wall, the first level of parking, enormous AC vents or a thicket of tired, generic landscaping.

This is only slightly related, but I really like the way the greenery has filled in on that sunken level of 59. Softens the whole view quite a bit.

This looks familiar, like something that was being planned over there awhile back. I like its look, but agree about the freeway access. Then again, many of us don't bother to get on the freeway and if my dentist or doc was in an office like that, it wouldn't bother me a bit to take Montrose down to go there. It sure would look nice from the freeway

There are several offices of comparable height near Richmond and Montrose and they do just fine with the freeway access.

No Montrose exit doesn't equate to terrible freeway access. It's 3 min from the Shepherd exit and less from the Spur/Richmond exit.

They'll be fine there.

I agree that freeway access is a non-issue. The trade of is that while you may be 30 seconds farther from the highway than if you built the office next to an on-ramp, it's in a nicer area where people can actually occasionally walk to places. It's literally 0.5 miles from the nearest onramp (and 0.5 miles from the nearest metro rail station).

• Like 1