Describe Houston in two words

1. Quick, if you could describe Houston in two words, what would they be?

UH architecture students answer this question here: http://www.vimeo.com/4199086

2. Quick again, when the words Houston and Architecture are put together, what comes to mind? They also answer that one.

2nd half of the video is better... but i dig music videos and thats a good song.

As for the 2 words.. none of the students really gave any unexpected answers.

UH architecture students answer this question here: http://www.vimeo.com/4199086

2. Quick again, when the words Houston and Architecture are put together, what comes to mind? They also answer that one.

Those students don't like Houston. I guess the architecture is really bland to them (which it is, but the city makes up for that because there are so many buildings).

Two Words: Exciting and disappointing (sometimes).

You call yourselves architecture students???!?!?

*goes to cry in the corner*

Sadly, my personal experiences show that many architecture students just are not "into it" that much. Perhaps I should introduce some of them to HAIF or something... ;)

What I wanna know is...when were these guys there?

So very young, those students. I would be more interested in what the arch. graduates would say...didn't sound like any of them like Houston very much, "boring", really? :lol: ...and I thought one would give a description of the architecture in this city. They talked about the climate.

diverse

international

eclectic

friendly

tropical

(oh sorry, that's five)

&

careless (most of the time, about it's arch. history)

FLAT and DIVERSE

STRIP MALL and TOWERS

those were the first things to pop into my mind. The flat thing I am sure comes from my new view from a high rise. Damn, you can see lights for miles on a clear night...

• 3 months later...

How to describe Houston?

“We know”

It doesn’t matter what other areas of the country think of us, “we know” what Houston is all about.

It doesn’t matter how they rate us in any stupid, inane poll, “we know” where Houston stands in our minds and hearts.

It doesn’t matter how others see Houston’s future. “We know” Houston will come out on top in the long run.

“Can do” is another two-word description.

How to describe Houston Architecture?

“It works”

I don’t mean to be confrontational, but I think the Dallas skyline is – well, less than appealing. Same goes for Austin and that gawd awful spiked tower. Some people love it, but not me. There are some interesting buildings, but they don’t go together, in my opinion.

Houston’s skyline is a jumble of architectural styles, but they just seem to somehow fit together like pieces of a landscape puzzle. I think the Houston skyline is the best in the country. But then, I’m biased.

My personal two words?

“I left”, but only because I was ready for some Country Living. And I love it!

Archived