flash flooding 4/28/09

dakotafleming

I found both of my Porsches flooded this morning. Today is not a good day.

3483698900_0dac93cee5.jpg">

I was so disappointed to not have my street flooded (had to come to work). But having seen your pictures, I am grateful. So sorry for your loss.

Woodway floods that bad?

There's a low spot on the bank of Buffalo Bayou that opens right onto the pond and green between the Hotel, 3 Riverway and 7 Riverway. This area flooded during Ike. It also flooded after some heavy rains a few years ago forced HCFCD to open the spillways upstream.

The hotel's main driveway is on the left side of the picture. However, there is a back entrance to the facility off S Post Oak Lane.

Allen Parkway is flooded as usual, but this is the most water I've ever seen in the dog park. It normally gets some water, but I've never seen it fill up completely.

Taken around 9:15 this morning:

IMG_0127.jpg

Not even during Ike? I can't remember precisely but I'm pretty sure the water was up higher on those trees the morning after the hurricane went though. But ok, maybe it's the highest non-hurricane level.

anyone have a comparison for what happened during Allison? I wasn't around here then.

Allen Parkway is flooded as usual, but this is the most water I've ever seen in the dog park. It normally gets some water, but I've never seen it fill up completely.

Taken around 9:15 this morning:

IMG_0127.jpg

Same location (I think, just different angle) after Ike:

DSC_0329.JPG

anyone have a comparison for what happened during Allison? I wasn't around here then.

Yesterday was less than 1/3rd the rainfall of Allison. If I recall correctly, parts of Houston got 36" in 24 hours during Allison, as opposed to the 11" seen in NW Harris County yesterday.

A 100-year storm for the Houston area is 13.5" of rain in 24 hours.

None of those totals compare to TS Claudette in 1979. It produced what is still the US record for 24-hr rainfall: 43" in 24 hours near Alvin!

Archived