HAI mentioned on CW39

Montrose1100

I had the news on before going out, and they were blabbering about how Rockets' fans were going to the game even in the rain... eventually the story led to how many Downtown buildings are going dark after 10pm. And not just for Earth Day, this will be a continous thing (shutting off unused lights, etc.). Then they said "according to Houston Architecture dot Info, the Neils Esperson Building..." I think they quoted the first couple of sentences the Editor has on it's HAI page, then said it was built in 1940-something. I think they meant the Annex, but that's what they said.

Anywho, I couldn't see Downtown crossing Elgin over 59. It was kinda scary. But getting closer to Midtown you could see the red lights on the top of a few buildings.

I had the news on before going out, and they were blabbering about how Rockets' fans were going to the game even in the rain... eventually the story led to how many Downtown buildings are going dark after 10pm. And not just for Earth Day, this will be a continous thing (shutting off unused lights, etc.). Then they said "according to Houston Architecture dot Info, the Neils Esperson Building..." I think they quoted the first couple of sentences the Editor has on it's HAI page, then said it was built in 1940-something. I think they meant the Annex, but that's what they said.

Anywho, I couldn't see Downtown crossing Elgin over 59. It was kinda scary. But getting closer to Midtown you could see the red lights on the top of a few buildings.

Old Houston Buildings Go Green

Dennis Spellman

April 24, 2009

The Esperson Building was completed in 1941. HoustonArchitecture.Info says, "It was once the crown jewel of the city's skyline." It's a great example of Italian Renaissance architecture, but it wasn't built to be "green."

Still, even this building has been easily be improved. Matt Daniel, Skanska Construction Management provided 39 News with a guided tour though a large office on the 5th floor of the Esperson Building.

Skanska Construction Management helps building owners and tenants locate areas where they can be more eco-friendly, and save money. In an old building like the Esperson he says, "We would be looking at items that they could do that are really fairly simplistic."

One corner office had window tint and shades on it's 3 large windows. The tint has made a big difference according to Daniel. "The fellow that sits in this office right here has seen a tremendous difference in the heat gain in the office. So he is much more comfortable in this space" now that it's cooler.

The 5th floor offices also have motion sensors that turn lights on and off. "No need to run the lights if nobody is in the building" Daniel said.

Using "Energy Star" office equipment, and turning it off at night is also something any office can do. Even in an old building you can recycle paper, and use compact fluorescent light bulbs too.

Windows have also been added to exterior offices to let sunshine pass from the outside to interior work spaces. It saves money and improves the working environment.

"It's significantly improved the working environment by adding the windows, putting the light into the space," said Allen Caudle who works on the 5th floor of the Esperson Building.

Archived