Greyhound Bus Station At 2121 Main St.

midtown 4.2

Maybe my years of living in the Montrose have coarsened me, but I think he may have been offering a service, so to speak.

Yep. The black thugs at Tuam @ Main do this all the time. It's true. They even did it to my wife but I think they like the penis.

And they get lots of customers from what I can tell. The cops tolerate them as long as they hang near the old MHMR building.

An article regarding the problem:

www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2002_3596352

I can't find one, however, that I think I remember reading that described what they were doing about the inmates who left Huntsville, came to Houston and were supposed to move on. They implemented a system whereby someone would be at the bus station waiting for the bus to arrive, and identifying former inmates and making sure they got on their next bus. This was supposed to help the problem at least somewhat.

and I thought you guys were just joking about ex-convicts arriving there.

I also hear that the sanitariums are so overcrowded that the state has no choice but to let some out in public. This is what I was told when living in LA. You see so many deranged people hanging around bus stops & grocery parking lots and beaches just talking to themselves or attacking innocent people. (hope their aren't any on this forum) ...kidding

Apparently Houston has the same problem on top of just homeless bums.

FYI, there is a phsychiatric rehabilitation building on McGregor & 288. The sign is quite blatant nothing to hide. Wonder if that scares area neighbors. :ph34r:

Edited by Vertigo58

Sanitarium.

Now, THERE's a word you don't hear everyday.

I wasn't sure what word to use since almost everyone is so pi sensitive on this forum. I could have said nuthouse, loony bin, psycho ward, etc. They got the point I guess thats all that matters.

Peace on earth good will...

and MidtownC had the most hilarious reply yet to date!

Edited by Vertigo58

I wasn't sure what word to use since almost everyone is so pi sensitive on this forum. I could have said nuthouse, loony bin, psycho ward, etc. They got the point I guess thats all that matters.

Peace on earth good will...

and MidtownC had the most hilarious reply yet to date!

With all of the choices of words at your disposal, why did you choose a word that does not even describe a nuthouse or loony bin? A sanitarium is a facility where one goes to convalesce or to recuperate or for the treatment of chronic diseases. It has nothing to do with psychiatric facilities.

With all of the choices of words at your disposal, why did you choose a word that does not even describe a nuthouse or loony bin? A sanitarium is a facility where one goes to convalesce or to recuperate or for the treatment of chronic diseases. It has nothing to do with psychiatric facilities.

A recent movie. Lets not hijack the thread please. Greyhound it is.

and I thought you guys were just joking about ex-convicts arriving there. Hell, no wonder it's so f....d up around there. For Pete's sake!

I also hear that the sanitariums are so overcrowded that the state has no choice but to let some out in public. This is what I was told when living in LA. You see so many deranged people hanging around bus stops & grocery parking lots and beaches just talking to themselves or attacking innocent people. (hope their aren't any on this forum) ...kidding

Apparently Houston has the same problem on top of just homeless bums.

FYI, there is a phsychiatric rehabilitation building on McGregor & 288. The sign is quite blatant nothing to hide. Wonder if that scares area neighbors. :ph34r:

Hmm . . . expecting the worst from folks who are down on their luck, or just plain poor, must make for an uneasy existence.

I havn't had any bad luck as mentioned previously. I've ridden the rail line, got off at the Downtown Transit Center, ate at McDonald's, and got back on without a problem. Several times... at night. Even with my friends, some of which are young and really pretty girls. One time a guy said he almost fell because of her beauty, but that was the only thing 'nasty' that has ever happened (we giggled about it). Maybe we're flirting with disaster, but being out & about at all hours of the day (and) night, we havn't had any trouble.

Oh heck yeah! I live quite close to that facility, and there have been escapes. :unsure:

i live nearby and hate that area. question: if it's really this mentally disadvantaged folks, how come they down't spill out of the hispanic bus line? Why is it only that greyhound area?

I just don't care for the excuses. the majority of the panhandlers and lowlifes are just that...deadbeat individuals making a choice to live that lifestyle.

and I don't drive a porsche. I drive a 10year old ford truck. I still get harrassed at the occassional stop light and EVERY time I've gone inside to rent DVDs out of the redbox.

i live nearby and hate that area. question: if it's really this mentally disadvantaged folks, how come they down't spill out of the hispanic bus line? Why is it only that greyhound area?

I just don't care for the excuses. the majority of the panhandlers and lowlifes are just that...deadbeat individuals making a choice to live that lifestyle.

and I don't drive a porsche. I drive a 10year old ford truck. I still get harrassed at the occassional stop light and EVERY time I've gone inside to rent DVDs out of the redbox.

Thank you for speaking the truth about the Greyhound bus vicinity.

Some newcomers to the Midtown area may not know that just on the other side of those bridges (east) are some of the most crime ridden areas of Houston. Some from that area find it very easy to simply cross the bridge to the Midtown area searching for opportunity. Only a few years ago where Rich's Nightclub is a patron was shot/robbed as he left the club. We can use the same excuse that it happend anywhere but being realistic, you can ante up your chances of getting harassed by being in that area. As mentioned earlier residents need to be more proactive and "shout" about thier plight to the right people. This is the only way to get things done.

I personally avoid the area because of:

1. The crime

2. Because of that pathetic rail, waiting for it to pass while homeless people walk up to you is quite nervewracking (especially when you have children with you).

Wish I could leave it on a more positive note but cant think of one? :)

Edited by Vertigo58

Thank you for speaking the truth about the Greyhound bus vicinity.

I personally avoid the area because of:

1. The crime

2. Because of that pathetic rail, waiting for it to pass while homeless people walk up to you is quite nervewracking (especially when you have children with you).

Wish I could leave it on a more positive note but cant think of one? :)

Where in midtown/downtown do you live in that you're in teh area fairly regularly?

I drive by it almost every day and NEVER have been hassled.

I have to agree with a few of the points you have made about people crossing the bridge looking for opportunities, but you also always have to be vigilant anyway, no matter where you are.

I live downtown and drive to see friends or shop in midtown (gotta love Spec's) or the Rice area, and usually take main street all the way down. I do see a bit of "shady people" from downtown through midtown EVERY time I drive through there. Few times I have been at a light and been approached (usually at dusk or at night) by some of them (money, cigs, sex - um yea, really gross, etc.), I just look ahead and don't acknowledge them, even though that might make them upset, Id rather be safe than sorry.

Just be careful all I have to say! This is a BIG city, s$$t happens.

Great. And keep stunting the development of Midtown within 5 blocks of the bus station.

I am perhaps a bit bitter as Sat morning I took my old Porsche out for a spin. I got caught at the light, and some guy fresh off the bus dropped his bag, walked close to my car, and pulled out his johnson in an apparent attempt to urinate on my wheel. (I ran the light). Here's the kicker - that's the second time that exact scenario has happened to me by the bus station.

Midtown will never become a desirable place to live as long as the bus station stays in its current location. That's just reality.

HAHAHAHAH. Sorry, but that was just funny there. If it makes you feel better...I had been bragging to a friend of mine for a year about this taco stand on Harrisburg, and how awesome the tacos were. One day, he decides "lets go to that taco stand of yours". So we went. We ordered, and as we are waiting for the tacos, this street-person-dude walks up to the stand, orders, pays, then looks around as if we werent there, whips out his Johnson, and the next 2 minutes we are listening to the steady stream of piss, right there next to us. My friend, I presume, never went back. I continue to go there once a week. I live in the bay area. Thats how good them there tacos are.

• 2 months later...

i heard this morning that they are planning on having a "transitional center" next or close to that bus station in midtown for inmates who have served their time and are released back to the community.

apparently the center will serve to house them/help them. i guess that area is going to get worse.

there's an arch. firm that was going to move down there, but i doubt now that it'll happen....

Edited by TexasArchitect

i heard this morning that they are planning on having a "transitional center" next or close to that bus station in midtown for inmates who have served their time and are released back to the community.

apparently the center will serve to house them/help them. i guess that area is going to get worse.

there's an arch. firm that was going to move down there, but i doubt now that it'll happen....

Actually, TA, this "transitional center" could improve the area. Currently, the parolees get off the bus with no one to direct them where to go. Many never make it out of the area, waiting to get back into trouble. A transitional center would intercept the parolees, give them info on where to live and work, give directions to the parole office, so they can be supervised, and otherwise give the parolees a nudge in the right direction. This would help clear the bus station of parolees, as opposed to having them congregate there, as currently occurs.

Somehow, I do not believe that the architecture firm did not know the bus station was there. If they are not moving there, it probably has nothing to do with Greyhound.

Actually, TA, this "transitional center" could improve the area. Currently, the parolees get off the bus with no one to direct them where to go. Many never make it out of the area, waiting to get back into trouble. A transitional center would intercept the parolees, give them info on where to live and work, give directions to the parole office, so they can be supervised, and otherwise give the parolees a nudge in the right direction. This would help clear the bus station of parolees, as opposed to having them congregate there, as currently occurs.

i think it will help but from midtown mgmt district's standpoint, i'll bet they are pissed cause it only increases the likelyhood that the station will remain. that is one thing they want gone!

Somehow, I do not believe that the architecture firm did not know the bus station was there. If they are not moving there, it probably has nothing to do with Greyhound.

red you have a point. i guess some ppl would look at it as "oh no now the inmates are going to hang around here more" which i guess is what they do anyways, lol.

so like u said at least it'll take them off the street and into a bldg. or at least the ones that actually want to turn their lives around.

regarding the arch firm, they know about the bus station but didn't know about the transitional center. i think they even mentioned the property they were looking at had barbed wire around it or something of that nature. i personally am not familiar with that area so i'm not sure if they were being sarcastic but their descriptions were pretty funny...

There is a halfway house on crawford at drew in midtown. You wouldnt know it by walking by. There are no signs, just a lot of guys walking out to the bus stop across the street. I say hi to them when Im walking the dog. They dont beg for money.

There is also the salvation army rehab place for families on Mcgowen. Lots of the kids love to play with the dog when I walk by. Again, nice people.

I think another transistional center would be fine.

Once you get past the sterotypes, it isnt that big of a deal.

red you have a point. i guess some ppl would look at it as "oh no now the inmates are going to hang around here more" which i guess is what they do anyways, lol.

so like u said at least it'll take them off the street and into a bldg. or at least the ones that actually want to turn their lives around.

regarding the arch firm, they know about the bus station but didn't know about the transitional center. i think they even mentioned the property they were looking at had barbed wire around it or something of that nature. i personally am not familiar with that area so i'm not sure if they were being sarcastic but their descriptions were pretty funny...

I believe there was a topic about the architecture firm moving to midtown a while back. It seems like it came up during that brief period when it was expected that Midtown would suddenly somehow become a cool pedestrian district for young urban hipsters etc. etc. etc.

I suppose putting a transitional center in Midtown makes as much sense as anywhere, given that there is already a concentration of social service agencies there, but I still think the long-term prospects for Midtown are pretty dire.

As a midtown resident, I am sick and tired of all the bums and indigents roaming around asking for money. Between that Greyhound station and the 4th ward people providing a plentiful supply of "roamers", the area is mess. Within seconds of even setting foot on the Chevron property at Smith/Hadley/Louisiana, I get asked for money....every single time I go there, day or night. It's absurd. I've started taking a more confrontational approach with them that seems to shut them up at least when I leave the store. Just yesterday morning I left my apartment at 6:30am, and upon exiting the gate, I nearly tripped over a bum who was sleeping there. I told him, "good morning!", and he lifted his legs up so I could pass by. $1400 a month for a one-bedroom apt and I'm tripping over bums leaving the place. Adding a "transitional center" for former inmates is a complete and utter failure for whoever is planning midtown's growth - if anybody is even bothering. Get rid of the Greyhound station, quit adding additional former inmates to the area and we might start making some progress.

I have previously lived in uptown Dallas, and believe me, this crap would not be tolerated there. Midtown Houston is a COMPLETE failure compared to uptown Dallas, and this is coming from somebody who has lived in Midtown for 5 years and who badly wants to see it succeed. I'm getting the hell out of Midtown as soon as my lease runs up (which I stupidly renewed for another 9 months...).

Adding a "transitional center" for former inmates is a complete and utter failure for whoever is planning midtown's growth - if anybody is even bothering. Get rid of the Greyhound station, quit adding additional former inmates to the area and we might start making some progress.

Call/email at-large district 1 councilperson Peter Brown. He seems to be spearheading the effort. BTW, he's done nothing that he's promised so far as councilperson. he's also said he's going to fix the planning process at the city. :wacko:

Edited by musicman

The Greyhound station isn't going anywhere...you people should quit getting your hopes up. The Midtown Redevelopment Authority doesn't know what the hades they are doing anyway, so its futile to deal with them regardless.

That's what I think as well. The best we can hope for is that they renovate the thing into something at least nicer looking. Otherwise, forget it.

Plus, I completely agree that Midtown has NO idea what they're doing. Not to mention it's the most overpriced neighborhood in the city IMO.

• 8 months later...

so i should take the "removal of greyhound station" off my Christmas wish list forever?

dammit...are there no viable solutions that can be presented to the powers that be. if there was a singular problem styming midtown development, IMO this is it