Greyhound Bus Station At 2121 Main St.

midtown 4.2

the walgreens is actually mor urban thatn it would have been. it was going to be put smack in the middle of the block, like CVS, but a few key people got involved, including the developer, and saw that it was brought to the street, leaving room for more development on the block when density will allow for it, and creating a nice blockface for the project pictured to go up next to.

ok that was a runon...

I lived at post in midtown when I first came back to houston 4 years ago and the bus station is the only thing there that is hurting additional redevelopment.

Moving the bus station to the northside is the logical thing to do becasue of the easier access to the freeways that travel north, east. I however don't see this happening due to the efforts to rebuild the east side, or north side of the downtown area. The last thing those people want is the bad element the bus station brings with it. There is no real area that will want a bus station next to it in the downtown area because all areas of that part of houston are undergoing some type of redevelopment. I am afraid midtown is stuck with it for a while.

• 1 year later...
Frankly, I think it needs to stay in the general vicinity of it's current location, but needs a north/south if it stays on the line instead of the current east/west alignment.

Great. And keep stunting the development of Midtown within 5 blocks of the bus station.

I am perhaps a bit bitter as Sat morning I took my old Porsche out for a spin. I got caught at the light, and some guy fresh off the bus dropped his bag, walked close to my car, and pulled out his johnson in an apparent attempt to urinate on my wheel. (I ran the light). Here's the kicker - that's the second time that exact scenario has happened to me by the bus station.

Midtown will never become a desirable place to live as long as the bus station stays in its current location. That's just reality.

Great. And keep stunting the development of Midtown within 5 blocks of the bus station.

I am perhaps a bit bitter as Sat morning I took my old Porsche out for a spin. I got caught at the light, and some guy fresh off the bus dropped his bag, walked close to my car, and pulled out his johnson in an apparent attempt to urinate on my wheel. (I ran the light). Here's the kicker - that's the second time that exact scenario has happened to me by the bus station.

Midtown will never become a desirable place to live as long as the bus station stays in its current location. That's just reality.

amazing is all i can say and 2x no less!

you should call the mayor and offer this as a way to keep traffic moving!

Wow!

Thats a nasty experience, twice! I wonder how many of those people are mentally ill? I have been driving by there about once a week at different times looking at the area. I am interested in 2016 Main. Each time i have driven by the situation doesnt seem to be bad. I havent been on a weekend and maybe i should to get a better feel of the area.

Was your spin in early, mid, or late morning?

some guy fresh off the bus dropped his bag, walked close to my car, and pulled out his johnson in an apparent attempt to urinate on my wheel.

uh...why would he want to do that?

Maybe my years of living in the Montrose have coarsened me, but I think he may have been offering a service, so to speak.

Main reason I avoid that area. There's just too many desperate people lurking around there. It really resembles a prison yard... without gaurds that is. Another big embarassment to visitors and Houston as a whole. Mayor... councilmen... help?

Was your spin in early, mid, or late morning?

It was about 10:30 in the morning, on a nice, bright, perfect day. The kind of day that makes you wish you could walk around to shops and cafes if only they existed in Midtown. But they don't because of the Greyhound station. :unsure:

The first time it happened was about 4 years ago just after dark on a week night. A guy was walking across the street when he stopped in the middle of the street and let loose in front of me on the crosswalk on Webster. I do think he was severely drunk and/or "mentally disadvantaged". The guy Saturday was just being an a**hole.

I did have some friends' Midtown townhome robbed a few years ago by a guy who had been released from prison that morning. He said he had just started walking from the bus station, got hungry, and needed some money (he was caught in the act by a neighbor). They moved shortly thereafter.

Edited by cwrm4

It was about 10:30 in the morning, on a nice, bright, perfect day. The kind of day that makes you wish you could walk around to shops and cafes if only they existed in Midtown. But they don't because of the Greyhound station. :unsure:

The first time it happened was about 4 years ago just after dark on a week night. A guy was walking across the street when he stopped in the middle of the street and let loose in front of me on the crosswalk on Webster. I do think he was severely drunk and/or "mentally disadvantaged". The guy Saturday was just being an a**hole.

I did have some friends' Midtown townhome robbed a few years ago by a guy who had been released from prison that morning. He said he had just started walking from the bus station, got hungry, and needed some money (he was caught in the act by a neighbor). They moved shortly thereafter.

Doesnt sound very good. I should hope 2016 Main has some sort of security to prevent undesirables from the bus station and in general from gaining ready access.

Glad your being very candid about your experiences.

The sad thing is people wait until something catastrophic happens before anything gets done. Maybe it will take long petitions sent to council/mayor and especially to Greyhound headquarters? The fact that it gets so dark around that block only fuels the opportunity for trouble. It really looks like a scene from Midnight Cowboy. Mostly men hanging out, pushing drugs or well.....

Prisoners released from the TDC in Huntsville get a Greyhound ticket to that location in Midtown . . . state policy is to send them back to the location of their conviction; that's why it looks like a prison yard.

An article regarding the problem:

www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2002_3596352

I can't find one, however, that I think I remember reading that described what they were doing about the inmates who left Huntsville, came to Houston and were supposed to move on. They implemented a system whereby someone would be at the bus station waiting for the bus to arrive, and identifying former inmates and making sure they got on their next bus. This was supposed to help the problem at least somewhat.

driving by the greyhound station several times a week, i've yet to encounter any problems there. i readily go hit the bw3 on grey (now that i think about it, maybe they chose that spot because they like the street name?) and aside from the occasional pan handler, nothing weird has happened.

although something will occur sometime if they don't get out of my way as a lay on the horn and accelerator when they walk against the lights.