Greyhound Bus Station At 2121 Main St.

midtown 4.2

Got in my car after lunch, turned on the radio, and caught this snippet of news . . . " . . . will replace the Greyhound station at Main and Grey."

What's up!? I'm going crazy with the anticipation of hearing that this bus station will finally move out of Midtown. Anybody have the scoop on this?

crossing my fingers!

• Like 1

I haven't heard of any progress on the proposed multimodal transit center. The idea has always been to incorporate the depots of AMTRAK, Greyhound, the Central American carrier to the south of the Greyhound Station (El Expresso?), and the north Hardy extension of METRO Rail at one location, like Union Station in DT Los Angeles.

I've also thought that the now empty four or five story brick building right near the current AMTRAK Station would make a good Greyhound/AMTRAK terminal.

I caught a piece of the story too on 950am and 740am. I guess I shouldn't switch back and fourth. I did here about moving Greyhound some where, but didn't catch it exactly. The multimodal concept would be awesome.

It would be great if Greyhound is moving! Not only is the current station hampering redevelopment of the surrounding neighborhood, but since MetroRail opened it's difficult for their buses to navigate in and out of the station, and the reconfiguration of Main St. eliminated a lot of space for cars dropping off and picking up passengers.

i had a very interesting conversation with greyhound corporate today - a flat denial of any plans to relocate the midtown location. btw they still refer to it as "downtown", and my source tells me that they are pleased with the location being on the rail line. i mentioned the redevelopment of midtown and the obstacle the current location presents, but "that's my story and i'm sticking to it" was the offical reply.

i cannot imagine a radio station pulling that out of thin air, but i also cannot think of any reason greyhound would keep it under wraps. i was told that one of the sub-stations was being closed or relocated, so maybe it had something to do with that. sorry to dash the hopes of all who, like myself, would really like to see a greyhound station for houston that at least rivals the ones in other major cities.

deb martin

While it's unlikely that the radio station pulled it out of thin air, it's possible someone else did. It's possible that some city official somewhere thought it might be a good idea and asked someone to look into it, and some council member got wind of it, heard only half the conversation, and told a reporter that the city is planning to move the bus station. The reporter then just repeated that, "Council member X says the city is moving the bus station." Not entirely the reporter's fault because strictly speaking the sentence is correct. However, it's probably been years since anyone on KPRC or KTRH double-checked a fact or bothered to get the other side (like an official comment from Greyhound) before going to air.

The last good reporter KTRH had was Dennis Spellman, and he's in TV now.

I took midtownguy's advise, and called the station. Spoke to someone at the news desk, he recalled the story, put me on hold for a moment to dig up the article, and seemed like he was scanning through the report and read out loud the highlights for me.

The only new info I got, was that "they" (whoever "they" are) were commisioning a $400K feasability study to see how they can combine bus, light rail, and commuter rail into one facility. I had more questions, but felt like I was pushing my luck.

"The only new info I got, was that "they" (whoever "they" are) were commisioning a $400K feasability study to see how they can combine bus, light rail, and commuter rail into one facility. ("quote, midtown4.2)

what a crock! "they" should write in to our forum and could probably get a free feasibility study. i am constantly amazed at the frivilous spending of bureacracy, how they have to spend money to figure out how to spend money. aren't there already people on the payroll to do this?

deb martin

Guest danax
The only new info I got, was that "they" (whoever "they" are) were commisioning a $400K feasability study to see how they can combine bus, light rail, and commuter rail into one facility. I had more questions, but felt like I was pushing my luck.

Commuter rail? Hmmmm.

I did not hear the broadcast. However, my husband did and he was very excited. He said Metro was somehow involved. I think we should call Metro. Like the rest of my fellow Midtowners who heard this report, I have been looking in the paper for an article. None has surfaced. We can only hope it is true! I, for one, am going to call my community outreach representative at Metro and ask some questions.

I did not hear the broadcast.  However, my husband did and he was very excited.  He said Metro was somehow involved.  I think we should call Metro.  Like the rest of my fellow Midtowners who heard this report, I have been looking in the paper for an article.  None has surfaced.  We can only hope it is true!  I, for one, am going to call my community outreach representative at Metro and ask some questions.

hopefully they take all of the homeless up to the north part of downtown when they relocate...if they ever relocate. the homeless and the bus station remain midtown's biggest problem...tertiary are the s#x businesses, some of which are DBA "Club Houston" or whatever...

• 4 months later...

if it is the same sign, it has been there for a while.

i've almost given up hope on central square... :mellow:

edit - it is crappy inside - literally - we're talking major interior renovation/demolition...

i could see after getting an idea of the interior why it isn't too appealing...

if it is the same sign, it has been there for a while. 

i've almost given up hope on central square... :mellow:

edit - it is crappy inside - literally - we're talking major interior renovation/demolition...

i could see after getting an idea of the interior why it isn't too appealing...

I drive by this building where this sign is now posted and I can tell you this is a new sign. The sign is now at the corner of Gray and Milam. I always thought that central square would make a great location for loft apartments. Plus the space on the ground level looks like it is screaming to become primed real estate for mix-use.

However, this probably won't work until the Greyhound station is moved. The Greyhound Bus Station is a hub for recently released prison inmates from Huntsville. Plus if many you did not already know, but the fact is that cities up north during the winter ship their homeless on Greyhound to cities in the south so that they don't become victims to old time winter and die. Lets face Greyhound is the "preferred" mode of intrastate and interstate travel for the have-nots.

I am just ranting because I think it was poor planning when they decided to place the Metro rail line just outside the front door of the Greyhound station. Every time I drive down Main St. into the downtown there is always some jerk driving really slow like their getting ready to mow down Greyhound patrons on a drive-by-shooting. It really drives me crazy when the light is green and the car in front of me decided it is time to stop and unload passengers in front of the Greyhound. I really am convinced that these people can

I am just ranting because I think it was poor planning when they decided to place the Metro rail line just outside the front door of the Greyhound station.

Not to pick on you, eelimon, but that is called intermodal transportation. A person who arrives via bus, then gets on the LRT or other buses, is the way it was designed to be.

I understand that Midtown residents wish Greyhound would go away, and one day it might...to North Main. But, until then, at least you have another transit option. ;)

Not to pick on you, eelimon, but that is called intermodal transportation.  A person who arrives via bus, then gets on the LRT or other buses, is the way it was designed to be.

I understand that Midtown residents wish Greyhound would go away, and one day it might...to North Main.  But, until then, at least you have another transit option.  ;)

I know that Redscare I just cant stand that a negative effect of this was slow traffic right there. I cant stand it!

I cant wait for it to be moved

They could at least move the front door of the Greyhound so that it faces Fannin St this way the traffic on the one lane running alongside the rail can run smoothly.

• 1 month later...
They could at least move the front door of the Greyhound so that it faces Fannin St this way the traffic on the one lane running alongside the rail can run smoothly.

yeah, there are alot of dazed people along main in front of or near greyhound (especially after dark) and it can become quite the clusterf*@%!