Draining Water Into The Sewage

Has anyone seen people divert storm water to the sewage lines. I know you arent supposed to, but every time it rains hard, I look into the cleanout and there is more water than when it doesnt rain. I guess its from people draining water into the lines?

Has anyone seen people divert storm water to the sewage lines. I know you arent supposed to, but every time it rains hard, I look into the cleanout and there is more water than when it doesnt rain. I guess its from people draining water into the lines?

usually the capacity is less which is why storm and sewage are different systems

I realize I wasnt clear...the cleanout on the SEWAGE is always high, like someone is draining rain water into the sewage system, causeing a abundance of water in the system, causing it to rise.

I realize I wasnt clear...the cleanout on the SEWAGE is always high, like someone is draining rain water into the sewage system, causeing a abundance of water in the system, causing it to rise.

Maybe you have a cracked sewer line and rain water is draining into it? Is that possible? I actually have the same problem when it rains... and I do not know what causes it.

by chance is a septic tank still in your plumbing system? when my parents had theirs yrs ago, rain would definitely affect it.

Rain events always produce the highest peak flows into wastewater treatment plants. I believe it's somewhere in the range of up to 4 times the average flow.

The term for storm water entering the wastewater lines is infiltration/inflow. Occurs into the sanitary sewer through broken joints, roots breaking into sewers, and surface drainage into the sewer line.

The problem may be on your private line leading into the public sewer, or on the public sewer line.

If your neighbors are seeing the same thing, and if your private lines were recently replaced, it's probably the public line. Call the City - 311. It may or may not be anything that can be immediately repaired...could require a replacement of the neighborhood's public sanitary sewer lines.

no to all...all the lines have been replaced recently. I was there and nothing unusual was present.

that's what my parents said in 72, but the bathtub was on a different drain and they didn't realize it til the mid 80s when it wasn't draining properly.

• The title was changed to Draining Water Into The Sewage

Archived