Comedy Workshop

EMME

Does anybody have any memories of the Comedy Workshop at the corner of San Felipe at S. Shepherd?

Sam Kinison, Bill Hicks, Brett Butler are a few of the bigger names that started there.

Does anybody have any memories of the Comedy Workshop at the corner of San Felipe at S. Shepherd?

Sam Kinison, Bill Hicks, Brett Butler are a few of the bigger names that started there.

This is way before my time, so I can't help you, but which corner was this?

Southwest corner of San Felipe and S. Shepherd. The building is now a dry cleaners.

Hmm...if it was the same building, that probably explains the entrance canopy, which I thought was kind of fancy for a dry cleaner. :-)

• 6 months later...
Recently, I got to thinking about a couple of entertainers who have since moved on from this world. Bill Hicks, who spent much of his youth in the Bayou City and later in its comedy clubs, was one person that came to mind.

So I went through our photo archive to see what we had on the Stratford High grad. Aside from publicity shots, the only photos available are from December 1984. About the same time the Houston Chronicle published a profile on the comedian and social critic, which has been reprinted below. Note the Jay Leno reference halfway through.

http://blogs.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2009/10/hicks_and_houston_1.html

One of Lewis Black's more famous bits was related to that club.

I've seen the end of the universe, and it happens to be in the United States and, oddly enough, it's in Houston, Texas. I know -- I was shocked, too. Imagine my surprise when I left a comedy club one day and walked to the end of the block, and there on one corner was a Starbucks, and across the street from that Starbucks, in the exact same building as that Starbucks, there was -- a Starbucks. I looked back and forth, thinking the sun was playing tricks with my eyes. That there was a Starbucks across from a Starbucks -- and that, my friends, is the end of the universe.

Archived