Dallas Minor League Ballpark

Minor league ballpark, mixed-use complex planned near Trinity River in Dallas

08:23 AM CDT on Thursday, April 23, 2009

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

stevebrown@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ty.387bbfc.html

A real estate and sports group has purchased a large development site on the banks of the Trinity River near downtown. The new owners of the 60-acre property on Industrial Boulevard say they hope to build a $500 million mixed-use project anchored by a minor league baseball park

I don't know how much of a baseball town Dallas is. Adding a minor league team seems like bad business logic. The Rangers struggle to average 30k in attendance, and they are a much better product. Plus, Frisco is already the close minor league option.

However, if this becomes the Rangers' AAA team and the Astros are able to keep Round Rock out of Ryan's hands, then I'm all for it.

I don't know how much of a baseball town Dallas is. Adding a minor league team seems like bad business logic. The Rangers struggle to average 30k in attendance, and they are a much better product. Plus, Frisco is already the close minor league option.

However, if this becomes the Rangers' AAA team and the Astros are able to keep Round Rock out of Ryan's hands, then I'm all for it.

Anything Drayton can do to keep Round Rock and Corpus in the Astros system is paramount. The Astros are the most popular team in Texas and I'd hate to see that get undermined.

Isn't there some kind of regional non-competition policy in MLB/MiLB? I know for sure that the Houston Sports Association had to buy out the Houston Buffs in order to create the Colt .45s, which later became the Astros. There was even some talk of having the Colts play in Buff Stadium until the Dome was built. Of course that was nearly fifty years ago.

But I don't know of any city where there's both a major league and a minor league team, does anyone? Frisco is close.

The Bay Area Toros play at the high school ball field in Texas City, and they are in an independent low minor league (sorta like A ball or lower). Well worth seeing, cheap, and classic old-school no-nonsense baseball. But not nearly as big a deal as this Dallas thing seems to be.

Fort Worth and Grand Prairie also have minor league teams in the DFW area.

That's crazy. If they can do it, could not Houston, too????

Maybe the perfect spot would be on the Astroworld lot, with the skylines in the background of the outfield.

That's crazy. If they can do it, could not Houston, too????

Maybe the perfect spot would be on the Astroworld lot, with the skylines in the background of the outfield.

I was just in Atlanta last week and I they had just opened up a new Minor League Ballpark in one of the suburbs. The team is called the Braves just like the main team in the city. The people working there were so excited to have a job (I saw it on the news down there).

I was just in Atlanta last week and I they had just opened up a new Minor League Ballpark in one of the suburbs. The team is called the Braves just like the main team in the city. The people working there were so excited to have a job (I saw it on the news down there).

dude, what is the dilly??!!

A minor league team would be an awesome alternative to the Astros. I worked for the Triple-A team in Albuquerque and people complained about the $22 seats right behind home plate!!

Ticket prices are much more affordable in the minors. It would be great to have a team here. Finding a good location would be key though.

Also, our franchise was considered very successful compared to other teams and we averaged about 5,000 paid per game. I think that'd be easy to do in the Houston area.

dude, what is the dilly??!!

A minor league team would be an awesome alternative to the Astros. I worked for the Triple-A team in Albuquerque and people complained about the $22 seats right behind home plate!!

Ticket prices are much more affordable in the minors. It would be great to have a team here. Finding a good location would be key though.

Also, our franchise was considered very successful compared to other teams and we averaged about 5,000 paid per game. I think that'd be easy to do in the Houston area.

What? I guess I should have explained how I felt about the idea in Houston. Yes, Houston should have one. Which suburb should it be in? Katy? Cypress? The Woodlands. I think the Woodlands or Katy would be nice. I would really like to see the Woodlands, That area is becoming a self sustaining metro itself.

What? I guess I should have explained how I felt about the idea in Houston. Yes, Houston should have one. Which suburb should it be in? Katy? Cypress? The Woodlands. I think the Woodlands or Katy would be nice. I would really like to see the Woodlands, That area is becoming a self sustaining metro itself.

oops, I knew you probably supported it. The dilly comment was more like, "how can Dallas and Atlanta support one but not US??!"

I really don't think the spring/woodlands are would be the best. I would say somewhere inside the beltway on the west side would probably profit most.

Aren't there plans to build a stadium on the west side anyway? I posted a link about it some time in '08 I think.

Aren't there plans to build a stadium on the west side anyway? I posted a link about it some time in '08 I think.

I don't know, but I remember a few years back that one of the Houston suburbs was building a place with replicas of all the classic baseball parks in America. I think its in Pearland? or Pasadena? Does anyone know?

Hell Naw lol Sugar Land

New Game in Town: Big D Minor League Baseball Minor league stadium planned for downtown Dallas development

By KEN KALTHOFF

Updated 7:30 PM CDT, Thu, Apr 23, 2009

http://www.nbcdfw.com/sports/baseball/New-...e-Baseball.html

A privately financed minor league baseball stadium is the key feature of a proposed development along the Trinity River in downtown Dallas.

The project revives a failed "riverwalk" proposal from another developer that sold the land to the new group.

"We're really fulfilling the city's dream," said Richard Seib who leads the new project.

It's within walking distance of the Dallas Convention Center and the city's proposed Trinity River project park, along a portion of the original river channel.

Seib said his project would also complement the city's planned Convention Center hotel.

"This has the real potential to add that ingredient that downtown is lacking," Seib said.

The site was once owned by Dallas founder John Neely Bryan. To honor its river history, the new owners plan to call the project "Three Forks Country of Texas."

proposeddallasminorleag.jpg

I don't know, but I remember a few years back that one of the Houston suburbs was building a place with replicas of all the classic baseball parks in America. I think its in Pearland? or Pasadena? Does anyone know?

Yeah, it's been built, but I think it's just for softball. At any rate, I don't think it's anywhere near the standards needed to host a minor league team, at least not double or triple-a.

What fun stuff?

Either a picnic area, a place for moon walks etc. Minor league baseball is not about baseball, at least for most teams.

I'd be looking forward to the food they'd conjure up though. But not sure if I would actually eat it.

EDIT: here is the thread talking about minor league baseball in SugarLand

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=17158

New Game in Town: Big D Minor League Baseball Minor league stadium planned for downtown Dallas development

By KEN KALTHOFF

Updated 7:30 PM CDT, Thu, Apr 23, 2009

http://www.nbcdfw.com/sports/baseball/New-...e-Baseball.html

A privately financed minor league baseball stadium is the key feature of a proposed development along the Trinity River in downtown Dallas.

The project revives a failed "riverwalk" proposal from another developer that sold the land to the new group.

"We're really fulfilling the city's dream," said Richard Seib who leads the new project.

It's within walking distance of the Dallas Convention Center and the city's proposed Trinity River project park, along a portion of the original river channel.

Seib said his project would also complement the city's planned Convention Center hotel.

"This has the real potential to add that ingredient that downtown is lacking," Seib said.

The site was once owned by Dallas founder John Neely Bryan. To honor its river history, the new owners plan to call the project "Three Forks Country of Texas."

proposeddallasminorleag.jpg

Why does Dallas keep doing the same thing with regard to sports facilities downtown and apparently each time thinks it will turn out differently. Like American Airlines Center/Victory Park and the Reunion Arena/Reunion development before it, while this is a nice development, it will do almost nothing for downtown Dallas.

First of all, I don't think Houston needs a minor league team, we are one of the few metro's with a centrally located major league stadium. With that said, Sugar Land is already discussing (or planning) to build a minor league ballpark along the Brazos river in a big project that's been years in planning, I think an amphitheater is also planned. It would be near the Brazos river and UH-Sugar Land. There's a thread on HAIF about it somewhere.

I'm all for it if the ballpark is completely privately funded. This area along the Trinity was recently cleared for a massive mixed-use development until the economic downturn forced the owners to sell. A ballpark with a view of downtown and easy connections to the DART station could be a good boost for the growing Cedars area. But I'm afraid a 10,000 seat ballpark will be too large for this team.

mmwtwmb.jpg

I just don't understand the business logic behind this or any other minor league park within the city limits. The only minor league team in the Houston area would have to be in one of the self-sustaining suburbs like The Woodlands or Sugar Land. I actually always thought Galveston would be a perfect place for a minor league team, drawing in not only local residents from the gulf coast area, but also a tourist draw from Houston residents. That was pre-Ike, though, and I don't know if that makes as much sense now.

I just don't understand the business logic behind this or any other minor league park within the city limits. The only minor league team in the Houston area would have to be in one of the self-sustaining suburbs like The Woodlands or Sugar Land. I actually always thought Galveston would be a perfect place for a minor league team, drawing in not only local residents from the gulf coast area, but also a tourist draw from Houston residents. That was pre-Ike, though, and I don't know if that makes as much sense now.

Yes. What he said. Move the Hooks to Galveston. But I really don't think MLB will allow a MLB-affiliated MiLB club in the same city as a ML club.

I'm all for it if the ballpark is completely privately funded. This area along the Trinity was recently cleared for a massive mixed-use development until the economic downturn forced the owners to sell. A ballpark with a view of downtown and easy connections to the DART station could be a good boost for the growing Cedars area. But I'm afraid a 10,000 seat ballpark will be too large for this team.

mmwtwmb.jpg

^ That's a cool looking rendering... ;)

If this breaks ground and gets built, I am just suprised that a "Dallas" team is actually going to have a stadium and play in the city of Dallas ........ See football, baseball, and soccer .......

Speak of the Devil, IIRC isnt this the area where the Cowboys were first looking at building a new stadium in Downtown Dallas, well until Laura Miller screwed the whole thing up. I know the site was on Industrial Blvd near Downtown.

If this is THAT site, what a HUGE missed opportunity this has turned out to be. From a preimer venue Downtown hosting the Cowboys, the Super Bowl, the Final Four, the Cotton Bowl, etc to .......a just minor league ballpark. MASSIVE FAIL.

Considering the results, I wonder how some Dallas residents an business owners feel about Miller now?

Considering the results, I wonder how some Dallas residents an business owners feel about Miller now?

If they are taxpayers, they are probably very glad that she didn't make a deal with that thief Jerry Jones. If she had, they'd be on the ook for half a billion plus interest, and all they get is a stadium. Look around, NFL stadiums do not generate development.

Archived