America Tower: Office Skyscraper At 2929 Allen Pkwy.

jm1fd

So, I was talking to some coworkers today, and we got off on the topic of the flag on top of our building. One of the guys that had been there for many many years informed us that the US flag on the top of the building was once MUCH MUCH larger than it is today....he said that, in fact it used to drape over the building and cover up the windows of the 43rd and 42nd floors when the wind wasn't blowing.

As to why we have a smaller flag now...well apparently when the wind was blowing at a good clip and 'ol glory was pulled out taut, it created so much force that it damaged the top 3 stories of the building that the pole mounts down through. The American General CEO flew the huge flag that he wanted, even though the engineers had told him it was a no no.

Personally, I think the flag should be double or triple its current size....the mass of the building makes it look kinda puny.

• Like 1

"well apparently when the wind was blowing at a good clip and 'ol glory was pulled out taut, it created so much force that it damaged the top 3 stories of the building that the pole mounts down through."

i'm no structural engineer but if a flag blowing around on the roof weakens teh structure of a skyscraper...isn't that in the least bit disturbing?

i'm no structural engineer but if a flag blowing around on the roof weakens teh structure of a skyscraper...isn't that in the least bit disturbing?

First off, I forgot, in my original post to mention that I have no other substantiating evidence of the story....that's just what my coworker said...I don't doubt it, however.

As to the disturbing nature of it, the building wasn't designed for it, so I'm sure they had to make some compromises in the strength, and number of the mounts, and also think about how much force you'd be exerting at the bottom of the pole with 5-6 stories worth of leverage. You'd also probably design a weak point into the system, so if, say the flag was left out in a hurricane, it wouldn't severely damage the building.....you'd just severely damage, or break the weak point.

Color me skeptical. If it were true that the flag used to be SO large that it hung down TWO FLOORS below the top of the building (which, incidentally, also seems like it would be a violation of flag etiquette) I am pretty confident SOMEONE on this board would recall seeing such a thing.

Anyone?

I think he's saying that the pole extended two stories into the top of the building for support. Or at least that's how I read it.

I guess you could have a larger flag if you made it out of mesh so the wind wouldn't get so much force on any side. But maybe that would keep it from fluttering since the larger the flag, the more wind you need to move it.

Amazingly, the FAA doesn't list this flagpole as an aviation hazard even though 63TS, the America Tower heliport, is right there.

I think he's saying that the pole extended two stories into the top of the building for support.  Or at least that's how I read it.

I guess you could have a larger flag if you made it out of mesh so the wind wouldn't get so much force on any side.  But maybe that would keep it from fluttering since the larger the flag, the more wind you need to move it.

Amazingly, the FAA doesn't list this flagpole as an aviation hazard even though 63TS, the America Tower heliport, is right there.

"in fact it used to drape over the building and cover up the windows of the 43rd and 42nd floors when the wind wasn't blowing."

Nope -- he said the flag draped over the windows.

I think his co-worker was pulling his leg.

I think he's saying that the pole extended two stories into the top of the building for support.  Or at least that's how I read it.

I guess you could have a larger flag if you made it out of mesh so the wind wouldn't get so much force on any side.  But maybe that would keep it from fluttering since the larger the flag, the more wind you need to move it.

No no....he read it correctly....he said it draped over 2 stores down. The pole went down 3 stories into the building. (Allegedly)

So we have a heliport? Its on top of the tower??

Color me skeptical.  If it were true that the flag used to be SO large that it hung down TWO FLOORS below the top of the building (which, incidentally, also seems like it would be a violation of flag etiquette) I am pretty confident SOMEONE on this board would recall seeing such a thing. 

Anyone?

He lies. It's never been that big. And they just put one on their a few years back.

"well apparently when the wind was blowing at a good clip and 'ol glory was pulled out taut, it created so much force that it damaged the top 3 stories of the building that the pole mounts down through."

yeah, especially if i worked in that building...

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have read 2 or 3 messages about this Bldg. that goes on to state it is a group of Bldg's. As time permits would someone be able to say just how many Bldg's are in the group and if each have its own name or address?

There are 5 office buildings. The Riviana building (~18 stories), the Wortham Tower (25 stories), the Woodson building (~18 stories), the America Tower (~43 stories), and the Life building (~5 stories, behind Wortham Tower). There are also 2 (maybe 3) parking garages.

There are 5 office buildings. The Riviana building (~18 stories), the Wortham Tower (25 stories), the Woodson building (~18 stories), the America Tower (~43 stories), and the Life building (~5 stories, behind Wortham Tower). There are also 2 (maybe 3) parking garages.

Thank you

Danny

• 1 month later...

Very good !! Do you work in the complex. I used to work over there (2 years ago) and you nailed the buildings down.

For DMac - They are all connected to by air conditioned walkways. You can get from the America Tower all the way to the Life Building in 5 minutes or so. I got a lot of exercise when working there.

There is also a Cafeteria / Food Court in the basement level of the Wortham Tower as well as an Alonti in the basement of the America Tower building.

The complex is pretty cool, but AIG has gone overboard with their security in the place. They installed turnstiles at all the entrances and you need a badge to access the buildings. I was once walking in a back entrance when I literally ran smack into Drayton Maclane (sp). He was livid that he could not get into the building (his attorneys were located in the Riviana buildings). At any rate I let him on the condition that he sign Roger Clemens (the first time). He winked at me and told me he would see what he could do. Later that day the deal was announced. I was proud of myself. Still am !!! B)

At any rate I let him on the condition that he sign Roger Clemens (the first time). He winked at me and told me he would see what he could do. Later that day the deal was announced. I was proud of myself. Still am !!!

Thank you Thank you! :D

You are right that the security there is overdone. It's too bad people can't get into the complex; the rear lobby of the Wortham building is a great mid-century space. That "Life" building is awful, though.

You are right that the security there is overdone. It's too bad people can't get into the complex; the rear lobby of the Wortham building is a great mid-century space. That "Life" building is awful, though.

I thought the Life building was another good example of period architecture/design....more period than the Wortham lobby....in fact I think the Wortham lobby has been stripped of some of its mid century-ness.

Very good !! Do you work in the complex. I used to work over there (2 years ago) and you nailed the buildings down.

I left AIG VALIC about a year ago.

Thank you Thank you! :D

When was the last time you were in the life building. Back in 2002-2003 the building was completely re-modeled. The difference was night and day. Granted, the building has no charm from the outside and is a cubicle nightmare in the tenant space, but the atrium is kinda cool if you ask me. I thought Riviana and Woodson buildings were horrible all around. I know that AIG was looking to renovate those two buildings before I left, but those cheapies probably half assed it. They seriously spent all the capital dollars on the security of those buildings.

Wortham has a lot of charm, but the lobby is bit bland.

When was the last time you were in the life building. Back in 2002-2003 the building was completely re-modeled. The difference was night and day. Granted, the building has no charm from the outside and is a cubicle nightmare in the tenant space, but the atrium is kinda cool if you ask me. I thought Riviana and Woodson buildings were horrible all around. I know that AIG was looking to renovate those two buildings before I left, but those cheapies probably half assed it. They seriously spent all the capital dollars on the security of those buildings.

Wortham has a lot of charm, but the lobby is bit bland.

UGH! Cheap is right.

Last time I was in the Life building was 2005. I thought it still had a solid retro feel. I guess it was way way more retro before they redid it. Yes, the atrium is the best part of the building.

They were renovating some of the floors on the Woodson building when I left. In fact I have a conference room B sign from that building...a co-worker and I were rumaging around on the 7th floor, and we found it stuck to the inside of one of the exterior windows....clearly it wasn't the conference room and they were going to discard the sign, so I snagged it.

UGH! Cheap is right.

Last time I was in the Life building was 2005. I thought it still had a solid retro feel. I guess it was way way more retro before they redid it. Yes, the atrium is the best part of the building.

For the use of that building (high density) the layout is perfect. I think it is 5 stories and has some 300k of net Rentable area. Considering the size of the atrium that is pretty amazing to me. They pack the people in those buildings. There are many floors with 4 offices and the rest is cube space. It sucks if you work there, but great if you are paying the rent.

• 2 months later...

My friend just took a job with AIG (American General) on Allen Parkway near Studemont. He and his family are looking for a good commute time with good schools.

He has been told about Humble (Summerwood, Eagle Springs, Park Lakes, and Kingwood). Also Spring Trails off Hardy toll road. Anyone have info on commute times for these neighborhoods. Specifically Spring Trails (He was told commute from Hardy Toll Road would be 36 minutes at 7:30 a.m).

As a side note they have no good info on older neighborhoods that might be good to look in. Open for any and all information on any parts of town with good commute (40 min or lower) and good schools to American General on Allen Parkway and Studemont.

My friend just took a job with AIG (American General) on Allen Parkway near Studemont. He and his family are looking for a good commute time with good schools.

He has been told about Humble (Summerwood, Eagle Springs, Park Lakes, and Kingwood). Also Spring Trails off Hardy toll road. Anyone have info on commute times for these neighborhoods. Specifically Spring Trails (He was told commute from Hardy Toll Road would be 36 minutes at 7:30 a.m).

As a side note they have no good info on older neighborhoods that might be good to look in. Open for any and all information on any parts of town with good commute (40 min or lower) and good schools to American General on Allen Parkway and Studemont.

if they are from out of town, they should rent an apartment until the can get enough information.

How much are they looking to spend? Do they want an old house? Do they mind transitional areas? Would they like to be closer to town, and just send the kids to private school?

Most of the older neighborhoods don't have good schools...but then again, you can get a really nice house, close in, in a older area for not much money, and send the brats to private school.