Deed Restrictions Expired In Legislature

Received email @ Super Neighborhood regarding legislation on reinstating expired Deed Restrictions. Anyone have updates on East End, with Sunnylan[d] in particular? Thanks for updating.

That would be a dream come true. I found it perplexing that Country Club Place just down the street has signs posted all around. Thats probably why the area looks pristine compared to Sunnyland. If they reinstate most of the neighborhhood wb a ghost town. Now thats a real dream come true. :)

But to answer the question, nothing on this side of the tracks yet. Seems a mailer would be the easiest way to pass along that info.

That would be a dream come true. I found it perplexing that Country Club Place just down the street has signs posted all around. Thats probably why the area looks pristine compared to Sunnyland. If they reinstate most of the neighborhhood wb a ghost town. Now thats a real dream come true. :)

But to answer the question, nothing on this side of the tracks yet. Seems a mailer would be the easiest way to pass along that info.

arent the signs about no front yard parking?

Received email @ Super Neighborhood regarding legislation on reinstating expired Deed Restrictions. Anyone have updates on East End, with Sunnylan[d] in particular? Thanks for updating.

Would you mind posting the e-mail so that we can all read it?

Thanks.

Best to contact East End Chamber of Commerce, Super Neighborhood orgs, etc. I know Idylwood has always done a great job about reinforcing all the rules. If I'm not mistaken, residents have to pay $ (dues) for this? or maybe not but some other areas of the city do.

Best to contact East End Chamber of Commerce, Super Neighborhood orgs, etc. I know Idylwood has always done a great job about reinforcing all the rules. If I'm not mistaken, residents have to pay $ (dues) for this? or maybe not but some other areas of the city do.

Idylwood's dues are non-voluntary, and like most other older neighborhoods, it struggles to keep enough cash in the bank to fight deed restriction violations.

And deed restrictions on paper are all well and good, but unless you have an active civic club willing to go after violators, then those restrictions aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Idylwood's dues are non-voluntary, and like most other older neighborhoods, it struggles to keep enough cash in the bank to fight deed restriction violations.

And deed restrictions on paper are all well and good, but unless you have an active civic club willing to go after violators, then those restrictions aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Very true, in fact the one or two signs I noticed near Lawndale were hardly noticeable. You have to peer behind the overgrown tree branches that block em out. That means at night they are invisible and thats when most hoods go to work.

We were on a friends patio in CC Place the other weekend, and noticed door to door bible salespeople in Mormon attire now that was shocking! Even had two childen with them. Had to rub my eyes! Talk about brave. :mellow: Drive around CC Place and see how it appears as a movie studio backlot for a 1940's era film then go to the back where those sleazy Fair Oaks Apts start and its a living hell hole. Thats a whole other Crater Houston/crime ridden topic. Cc place has my condolences as with the rest of this area. If you did a online check of where predators/ex convicts live, BINGO! they are all there! Unfortunately, was told recently there are no plans to bullldoze but to renovate them. Now convicts get to live even more comfortably then continue the pillaging. Oy vey.

Very true, in fact the one or two signs I noticed near Lawndale were hardly noticeable. You have to peer behind the overgrown tree branches that block em out. That means at night they are invisible and thats when most hoods go to work.

We were on a friends patio in CC Place the other weekend, and noticed door to door bible salespeople in Mormon attire now that was shocking! Even had two childen with them. Had to rub my eyes! Talk about brave. :mellow: Drive around CC Place and see how it appears as a movie studio backlot for a 1940's era film then go to the back where those sleazy Fair Oaks Apts start and its a living hell hole. Thats a whole other Crater Houston/crime ridden topic. Cc place has my condolences as with the rest of this area. If you did a online check of where predators/ex convicts live, BINGO! they are all there! Unfortunately, was told recently there are no plans to bullldoze but to renovate them. Now convicts get to live even more comfortably then continue the pillaging. Oy vey.

Drove by yesterday and noticed that renovations are already underway.

You mean at those funky apts right? The vicious cycle will continue. Not sure how many here remember when Country Club Place had to place a brick wall at some locations so that crowd would have to go around. It was very effective...for a while, then activists bitched, wall came down, and the crime wave boomed, yes boomed. The battle rages on. CC Place has some work in store.

There's something blowing in the wind...Oy Vey. :mellow::)

Do deed restricted neighborhoods typically include Architectural Review Committees for new builds?

I was just looking over one neighborhood which included...

by the Architectural Committee as to quality of design, workmanship and materials, harmony of exterior design with existing or approved structures, and location with respect to topography and finish grade elevation.

If I'm looking for a vacant lots to one day build my own home... is what i just found going to be the norm ?

Do deed restricted neighborhoods typically include Architectural Review Committees for new builds?

I was just looking over one neighborhood which included...

by the Architectural Committee as to quality of design, workmanship and materials, harmony of exterior design with existing or approved structures, and location with respect to topography and finish grade elevation.

If I'm looking for a vacant lots to one day build my own home... is what i just found going to be the norm ?

It depends on the neighborhood. Some deed restrictions require architectural approval, while others only "recommend" or "encourage" it, and then some restrictions only regulate land use. If you buy in a deed-restricted neighborhood, make sure you get a copy of the deed restrictions, and read them carefully before you close.

There are actually several different apartment complexes in that area. Are you positive that it was Courtyard, or could it have been Wall Street Square or the other one, across the street from the convenience store on Fair Oaks St.?

It depends on the neighborhood. Some deed restrictions require architectural approval, while others only "recommend" or "encourage" it, and then some restrictions only regulate land use. If you buy in a deed-restricted neighborhood, make sure you get a copy of the deed restrictions, and read them carefully before you close.

As always, THANK YOU Dan for such a responsible and mature response to OUR GROUP of neighbors question. Please note (usual Haif Trolls) that I speak for most of my elderly neighbors that have no voice, hence we type these questions for them. There are good people in this world. :)

As always, THANK YOU Dan for such a responsible and mature response to OUR GROUP of neighbors question. Please note (usual Haif Trolls) that I speak for most of my elderly neighbors that have no voice, hence we type these questions for them. There are good people in this world. :)

Are you mocking the question or the answer?

• 1 month later...

5/29/09--here is copy of email & attachment regarding above:

"The following attachment regards strengthening the ability of neighborhoods to revise, reinstate, or institute deed restrictions. They are authored by Jessica Farrar. You can follow the bills online at http://www.capitol.state.tx.us searching for bill number HB 3319 or HB 3321. Representatives Gary Elkins and Sylvester Turner are members of the Business and Industry Committee considering the legislation."

• 7 months later...

Idylwood's dues ARE voluntary and yes, there is a very active civic club.

• The title was changed to Deed Restrictions Expired In Legislature

Archived