Driving home was fun today

houfit

I must say driving home was fun last night for everyone along I-45 from Hobby to Leauge City.

I was heading down to Dickinson and the number of cars stopped on the freeway just waiting it out in the emergency lane was extraordinary, hundreds of cars just chillin waiting for the feeder road to be a road and not a lake.

By 11pm the I-45 feeder road after taking the NASA exit going northbound was under water, the parking lot at the Cinemark was completely under water. If you went to the movies last night, I bet when you got back to your car, you were pretty pissed.

I was out in it trying to get to back up to Bay Area Blvd. to get my girlfriend from work and myself and her Step Dad got stuck ourselves. We were in a GMC Envoy and in making it down the side streets we encountered flood water that literally went over our hood for a second. But we made it.

We got back down via Highway 3.... which I was told is really flood prone, yet did not flood at all last night.

Weekend Monsoons seems to be the tradition in Houston now...

Between League City and Dickinson it does.

Yea, that's where I meant... it's not my normal side of town so I forget Highway 3 is a long road.

ah ok...at least geoff had no probs on his way to dickinson.

Luckilly I was on the freeway the whole time all the way till 517, which didn't get anywhere near as much rain as it did just a few miles north. Glad I headed down there earlier than I originally planned and that I lucked out on not hitting floodwater. If I had my new G6 would be floating away and I would be out cursing, punching people...Probably making the nightly news.

Construction at Nasa and 45 didn't help anyone either.... in fact seems like every new road they build, it just gets flooded even worse than before. :unsure:

Yea, that's where I meant... it's not my normal side of town so I forget Highway 3 is a long road.

Luckilly I was on the freeway the whole time all the way till 517, which didn't get anywhere near as much rain as it did just a few miles north. Glad I headed down there earlier than I originally planned and that I lucked out on not hitting floodwater. If I had my new G6 would be floating away and I would be out cursing, punching people...Probably making the nightly news.

Construction at Nasa and 45 didn't help anyone either.... in fact seems like every new road they build, it just gets flooded even worse than before. :unsure:

I got stuck in HEB for 30 mins waiting for the sideways rain to quit

The hour and a half I spent driving from Chimney Rock and I59 to IAH from 5:30-7pm last night was a blast. I might do it again tonight just for fun.

Yuck! That's bad during a normal rush hour. I can't believe that after the work on 59, it still backs up so badly heading north into downtown.

Yuck! That's bad during a normal rush hour. I can't believe that after the work on 59, it still backs up so badly heading north into downtown.

I think that's a sore spot with a lot of people. I have mixed feelings about any expansion of the 59/288/45 mix since I live on the east side of Midtown. It doesn't seem like the rebuilding of 59 accomplished much when it comes to the funnel at 527.

Through yesterday we were less than half an inch from a precipitation record for the month of April, so I think it's safe to say with last night and this morning we have a new record (10.49 inches through yesterday, old record 10.92 in 1976)

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/climate/iah/ex...iliah-top10.htm

Still nowhere close to the mega-record for a month, 19.21 inches in June 2001 (duh). I found it interesting that April has the second lowest record precipitation (Feb) when for some reason it's known for its showers.

living on a relative central houston island, i'm lucky enough to never even been close to flooding. While i noticed the clouds and winds on the way home, i had no idea we had the amount of flooding around town last night till i hit up the morning news and it didnt hit till crossing over memorial at shepherd at lunch.

which by the way, the cops are doing a halfass job at that intersection.. saw numerous people try to turn west on to memorial there only to slam on their brakes, and have to do a u turn in the middle of the west bound lanes to merge back into the southbound shepherd traffic

anyways.. my wife just sent me the ever captivating and exciting buffalo cam..

http://204.235.237.45/cefwebcam/

enjoy.

Archived