Sidewalk solutions: large roots?

Does anyone have ideas for a front walk that is next to a beautiful old tree with huge roots? The concrete has lifted and cracked, of course. I don't want to replace it with more concrete.

I've seen gravel, but I'm afraid it might be messy, and track into the house/scratch the floors.

We had the same problem. The concrete was really a hazard, it was broken so badly. We took the sidewalk out, and let the grass grow back. We're waiting to see what the foot patterns tell us. The path to the front door doesn't necesarily have to be linear, so for now we're letting nature take its course before deciding on where to place the new path. The grass has grown back enough so that we don't track mud.

I don't like gravel--- dangerous with high heels.

I assume it is a city sidewalk. If you go through the city, it probably won't work, but what I would do is pull out the old broken sidewalk, pour a new sidewalk on either side of the root in a ramp style. I would put a metal grate over the root, resting on the raised concrete. You save the root and tree, but still have a sidewalk that is smooth and can accomodate wheeled carraiges, such as strollers.

I assume it is a city sidewalk. If you go through the city, it probably won't work, but what I would do is pull out the old broken sidewalk, pour a new sidewalk on either side of the root in a ramp style. I would put a metal grate over the root, resting on the raised concrete. You save the root and tree, but still have a sidewalk that is smooth and can accomodate wheeled carraiges, such as strollers.

hey, good idea! I have that problem, too. I thought she meant a sidewalk on the property leading up to the house.

Not a city sidewalk, actually; it's a path to the front door. Maybe I can redirect it as Crunchtastic is talking about... have the path come in from an angle so it goes around the tree. In which case pavers or concrete could be used.

At my house, I took out the concrete path to the front door and replaced it with pavers. The pavers allow more flexibility for the roots to grow; when a patch gets a little uneven, I pull up the surrounding area and add sand underneath to smooth it out. More importantly, the joints allow water to seep into the soil, rather than just running off.

At my house, I took out the concrete path to the front door and replaced it with pavers. The pavers allow more flexibility for the roots to grow; when a patch gets a little uneven, I pull up the surrounding area and add sand underneath to smooth it out. More importantly, the joints allow water to seep into the soil, rather than just running off.

Thanks Dan, it's good to know that works. I'd love to see a photo...

Archived