Sharpstown Real Estate

HOUCAJUN

I think they shoudl redevelop Sharpstown Mall. Make it an urban style entertainment center. Have a Dave&Buster's, high quality theater,resteraunts,,metrorail stop,nightclubs,,etc.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they shoudl redevelop Sharpstown Mall. Make it an urban style entertainment center. Have a Dave&Buster's, high quality theater,resteraunts,,metrorail stop,nightclubs,,etc.

This town cannot support 2 Dave and Buster's. This town barely supports the one we have. Jillian's tried that scenario and had their arses handed to them. As far as nightclubs, it is the nightclub that is causing the problem Plastic, were you not reading the thread, AGAIN ?

As far as "carpet bombing" , we do have the Guardian Angels there now, shouldn't THAT alone be enough to rid that area of evildoers ? :blink::huh::lol:

AHH, HELL NO!! If that mall gets redeveloped, we won't have any urban culture themed clothing stores. And if I can't get no Polo anywhere, I will blame you, Plastic! F*** that ____, let Sharpstown dwellers cruse all the way up SW Fwy to Galleria or up Gessner to MCM; at least Greenspoint is even more dangerous than Sharpstown mall anyday. I'd rather it be renovated top to bottom and keep the existing stores than it get toe down for a copycat Marq-E or Gulfgate or future Northline. Nuff said, good day, holla

AHH, HELL NO!! If that mall gets redeveloped, we won't have any urban culture themed clothing stores. And if I can't get no Polo anywhere, I will blame you, Plastic! F*ck that ____, let Sharpstown dwellers cruse all the way up SW Fwy to Galleria or up Gessner to MCM; at least Greenspoint is even more dangerous than Sharpstown mall anyday. I'd rather it be renovated top to bottom and keep the existing stores than it get toe down for a copycat Marq-E or Gulfgate or future Northline. Nuff said, good day, holla

From the Forum Guidelines and Rules:

What is Prohibited:

Vulgarity. Profanity.

Vulgarities are not permitted. Using symbols to evade the banned words filter will result in warnings. Repeated violations may result in suspension or termination of your account.

Any comments here Editor, or am I off base?

• 2 months later...

I was driving around Sharpstown the other day and noticed a few new construction houses. They were, in general, square sugarbrick homes with little or no architectural creativity, but new none the less.

I like this, i just hope it doesn't turn in to the same old dull sugar-brick homes.

• 4 months later...

I went to look at a couple of houses in the sharpstown area...they were north of 59, north of fondren and west of the mall...I keep seeing postings like this is a dangerous area? It looked really nice...is there something I dont know about...and maybe its just the point of reference. I currently live off the intersection of Lawndale and Telephone. I classify this as a iffy area, not sharpstown. I am sure there are crappy apts over there, but I am talking about the nieghborhoods. I do notice houses are really cheap, so please enlighten me on whats going on over there.

If I didn't have kids I would live in Sharpstown in a second. As you suspect, its the apartments nearby that make the Sharpstown area dangerous. But I almost never see anything on the news about something happening to someone at their house in a Sharpstown home.

I have an aunt who lives in Sharpstown -- on the south side of 59. She's lived their since the early 60s and has seen it change drastically. Last year a neighbor kid tried to burn down her house. Luckily, it was caught before it did much damage.

I have a late uncle who lived on the north side of 59 -- in the area you are describing. It's a much different part of Sharpstown, it feels much safer. His house is currently for sale on Osage.

I agree with Jeebus...if you have kids you will have to send them to private school.

My Grandmother has lived on the N. side of 59 and Fondren since the 60's. She lives on Leader street. I think her neighborhood is pretty nice it's just the area surrounding it. When I express concern for her saftey she says, "Oh, you just have to be cautious and pay attention to what's going on around you" This is true everywhere.....

Good luck with your search. You can find some beautiful homes in the Sharpstown area.

my cousin used to live on Leader on the corner....when he moved into the house back in the 70s he was one of the first blacks to do so and the kids went straight private school in the area...nice house...

before he died and moved back to Louisiana, he sold it to some Vietnamese and they put a pond I think in the backyard...that was a nice area

I agree with the posts from other people. The homes of Sharpstown are gems and if the retro 1950s look with tree lined streets and ranch homes (not 3800 sq ft monsters built on a small lot) are your thing you will love the place. You should go to a few estate sales in Sharpstown just to tour some homes and see what people live like. The realators always paint favorable pictures and I have kown some that go and park a really nice car in front of the house next door to make the area look better before taking you out there.

I bought a car at an estate sale a few blocks from Sharpstown high school. My jaw dropped at how nice the house was inside. All hardwood floors, immaculate kitchen and bath, etc....something right out of a Dorris Day movie. That house was on Jason St. Now, you get in the car and drive 5 minutes and it looks like a war zone by the high school.

If you work late at night or drive a nice car I would suggest you get your concealed gun license and keep a loaded weapon under the seat of your car if you live there. Do that and send your kids to a private school and you will be okay.

when the area was developing, did the residents fight at the time to keep out the overbuilding of apartments? I mean, if I was dropping a $150,000 house I don't want my hood surrounded by walls of apartments..

look at West Bellfort near Fondren.....they have some bad (the good bad) homes but they are surrounded by rows and rows of apartments.....ain't no way in hell the original owners will get the money they paid fomr some of those houses.

.....ain't no way in hell the original owners will get the money they paid for some of those houses.

Yes that's an issue for sure. My Grandmother would love to sell her home (which is paid off) It's just too much space for her and she won't get near enough money to buy something else. It's a shame

when the area was developing, did the residents fight at the time to keep out the overbuilding of apartments? I mean, if I was dropping a $150,000 house I don't want my hood surrounded by walls of apartments..

look at West Bellfort near Fondren.....they have some bad (the good bad) homes but they are surrounded by rows and rows of apartments.....ain't no way in hell the original owners will get the money they paid fomr some of those houses.

A buddy of mine bought a foreclosed home in the Fondren SWest area. He rehab'ed it very nice (all new tiles,carpet, granite, etc) and had a difficult time selling the home. And that area even sketchy in the daytime!!

Prior to the 1980s the apartment regulations were very different. The managers could lease to whoever they wanted and reject whoever they wanted based on anything. Some apartments were for adults only and yes they did discriminate based on race; that was wrong.

However, the laws are so insane now that someone can apply for an apartment drunk and smelling of weed but if their criminal and credit check turns out okay plus they meet the income requirement you are obliagated by law to lease them the apartment or they can sue you. Common sense has been thrown away.

Eventually, I think Fondren will be bought up by a mega developer once energy prices get so high building new construction in the boondocks will not be good business. If someone purchases a huge parcel of land all of the way from S. Braeswood to W. Bellfort and gradually started demolishing to build single family homes the area could come back. It would take over 20 years to fix the area but it is possible.

I think homes in that area were selling for about $15,000 back in the 1960s. I wonder what the rents in the apartments were then?

..ain't no way in hell the original owners will get the money they paid for some of those houses.

Neither will the residents of Inwood when they try and sell their investments. The old saying that all property is a good investment is not always accurate. There are many neighborhoods here in Houston alone that prove that. Some areas have only went down from their start, and some of these same neighborhoods will never be able to recover due to the conditions and circumstances placed on them.

What's sad is that driving out in the suburbs you can instantly tell which ones are lost causes from day one.

What's sad is that driving out in the suburbs you can instantly tell which ones are lost causes from day one.

Jeebus, do you care to name any names? I would love to know examples of suburbs that have a high chance of souring! :)

By the way, I wrote a small, not-very-good (And I mean that!) play about a teenage boy driving to Sharpstown to meet his friend - the problem is that the kid drives a Mercedes and wears flashy clothing. On top of that, he stops at a McDonald's near the apartment. When the boy goes back to his car, a group of three thugs force the kid to give up the car keys, cell phone, wallet, and sweatshirt.

The boy finally meets his friend at the Sharpstown apartment, but without a car and therefore without a way to fulfill a planned date with his girlfriend.

I can tell the suburbs where it's not worth building your "dream" home.....

1960 from Kuykendahl to Imperial Valley...the area has/is developing just like Fondren in the 80s...

Highway 6 near Mission Bend....Alief spllover has drastically altered that area

Some areas near Pearland....borders South Park/Sunnyside...only a hop, skip and a jump

Teal Run/Fresno....I rather stay in my old neighborhood as that area has too many folks crammed into an area with limited access and a mixture of rural and suburban life

I grew up in an area where apartments never bothered to come...multi-family living was a row of duplexes on one street and townhomes a mile away....outside of that apartments never came but they are trying to get them out there where we have an abundance of open land....\

if your writing about Sharpstown...act I needs to describe who used to live out there and why did they run..lol

I currently live off the intersection of Lawndale and Telephone. I classify this as a iffy area, not sharpstown.

Trust me you are better off where you currently are living. Unless you enjoy dodging bullets and being another possible caualty on the nightly news? Then Sharpstwon area is for you. Be sure to view all postings in SW Houston section in Haif. True testimonials. You need to ask LONG TIME Houstonians over age 35 they are more knowledgable. The area has been on a decline for over 15-20 years. True it once was a modern upscale area (60's & 70's) but most smart people fled in droves after the oil boom/bomb in the early 80's, rents $ went down and poverty level immigrants rushed in (still are). Past postings have suggested everything from Nuking the place to Godzilla. Lost cause. Let's not live in denial.

See tonights news again! :(

Dude, last time I was in that area (three weeks ago), me and my friends got shot at. No joke. We were playing basketball in a park, and next thing you know, clack, clack, clack. That sucked. We didn't finish our game, 'cause we decided to go running instead.

Total disrespect, yo <_< Sharpstown: Where even the basketballs are bulletproof :angry:

What about the following address, 10802 Vickijohn, Houston 77071? From what I can see on the map, it is located near Fondren, north of West Bellfort, not too far from the intersection of Braes Bayou and Portal Drive. Is this address located in the area that you are describing as being unsafe? Or is this address located elsewhere? According to the propoerty description, it is not too far from the Chabad Lubavitch Temple & Center. Inquiring minds want to know.

Dude, last time I was in that area (three weeks ago), me and my friends got shot at. No joke. We were playing basketball in a park, and next thing you know, clack, clack, clack. That sucked. We didn't finish our game, 'cause we decided to go running instead.

Total disrespect, yo <_< Sharpstown: Where even the basketballs are bulletproof :angry:

This is what we mean by "True Testimonials"

rest my case.

What about the following address, 10802 Vickijohn, Houston 77071? From what I can see on the map, it is located near Fondren, north of West Bellfort, not too far from the intersection of Braes Bayou and Portal Drive. Is this address located in the area that you are describing as being unsafe? Or is this address located elsewhere? According to the propoerty description, it is not too far from the Chabad Lubavitch Temple & Center. Inquiring minds want to know.

no the area is north of 59 and west of Sharpstown mall

Archived