Sharpstown Real Estate

HOUCAJUN

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the south border? Beechnut maybe?

Also, YES to the map - I'm a map freak :)

Thanks for the info,

Glen

According to the map of super neighborhoods, the southern boundary is Bissonnet east of 59 and Brays Bayou to the west of 59, if you want to be exact. Roughly speaking, it is Bissonnet.

Yeah, I hope Sharpstown comes back too. It is in great location and has good potential. Then we will have a large part of west houston free of ghetto-like appearance.

By the way, is the fact that Sharpstown has busiest emergency room good or bad? I hope it is not busy due to gun shot or stabbed victims!

Well, I don't think the rate of gunshot/stab wounds would be THAT high as to be the reason for the difference. I think it probably has more to do with the population density of the area relative to many other Houston area neighborhoods and the size of the facility.

You could look at it (maybe) from the standpoint of the medical center having enough staff and personnel to handle a large volume of medical emergencies.

But of course, it may be because people keep getting shot afterall...

<_<:unsure:;)

I've had plenty of good experiences in the Sharpstown area. My only bad experience was shopping for a sofa in the Fingers there at the mall and this large group of 'hoodlums' decided to walk through the store as a stortcut to where ever they were going and they were creating quite a rukus. Drinking malt liquor, jumping from mattress to mattress, shouting at the top of thier lungs... basic juvenile behaviour out of a bunch of guys that probably weighed on the average of 250lbs.

No bueno.

But if I was in investment mode I'd be seriously looking at this area.

I agree. Its inevitable that the whole area around there will improve eventually due to it's increasingly nice location. I think right now is the perfect time to invest there. It's like the stock market. In 99', when grocery clerks were giving stock tips and "everyone" was buying, that was a sure sign of the end and the time to sell.

When "everyone" thinks Sharpstown is bad, that is the time to buy. The main difference is that real estate takes longer to change trends than the stock market.

There is potential upside in Sharpstown due to its location, but it could be a long time before the area is revitalized, if ever. I remember people saying the same thing about revitalization in the early 1990s, but it hasn't happened. Of course, revitalization could happen in an instant if at least half of the apartments in the area could be bulldozed. Unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon since the apartments are being maintained and in some cases even improved with security fences. Still, Sharpstown is far better positioned than other areas such as Alief, which makes Sharpstown look quite good.

I appreciate the efforts of gwilson to help improve the area. Maybe he's met my mother, who is a deed restriction inspector in the section west of Gessner, where I grew up.

All things considered you can get a good real estate value in Sharpstown for middle-tier housing. I don't know what current prices are, but they've been around $60-65 per square foot, which translates to $120 for a 2000 square foot 4-bedroon house.

Okay. I'm going to suck it up and finally do a deep inspection of Alief to get an idea of the community. I keep hearing about Alief but I've never really bothered to learn about the area. What's the boundary, like from Beechnut north to Westpark and from Wilcrest to Eldgridge?

I know the entire area isn't bad but I'm gathering that certain sections are starting to go to sh**.

Okay. I'm going to suck it up and finally do a deep inspection of Alief to get an idea of the community. I keep hearing about Alief but I've never really bothered to learn about the area. What's the boundary, like from Beechnut north to Westpark and from Wilcrest to Eldgridge?

I know the entire area isn't bad but I'm gathering that certain sections are starting to go to sh**.

I think its roughly west of BW8, north of Belfort, south of Harwin and east of Elridge.

In general, I have noticed that the worst areas are along Bissonnet and Beechnut, and to some extent Bellaire, no matter where you are. It seems that all the bad elements have decided to settle near or along them. They pass through all those areas in SW that are considered depressed, including Gulfton, Sharpstown, Westwood and Alief and I may not be wrong if I say these streets are keeping them depressed.

OK, perhaps I am just that much of a tool, but I have been searching through the City of Houston websites for months now looking for demographics on the superneighborhoods.

Whoever found that like, do you like white gold or platinum for your engagement band? :P

OK, perhaps I am just that much of a tool, but I have been searching through the City of Houston websites for months now looking for demographics on the superneighborhoods.

Whoever found that like, do you like white gold or platinum for your engagement band?

Yes, this website is indeed a great source.

I would have almost given credit to 27 for telling me about it but, unfortunately for him, I had discovered it only a couple of days ago.  :D He may be the first one to tell this forum about it.

By the way, another useful site is: www.city-data.com. It doesnt go into the details of each neighborhood but tell you quite a bit about each city such as Cinco ranch, woodlands etc. And of course, you can compare their data with other US cities. For example, while people often associate Houston with crimes, the numbers of robberies/murders/rapes per capita in Houston are less than those in Dallas  :P

Yes, this website is indeed a great source.

I would have almost given credit to 27 for telling me about it but, unfortunately for him, I had discovered it only a couple of days ago.  :D He may be the first one to tell this forum about it.

By the way, another useful site is: www.city-data.com. It doesnt go into the details of each neighborhood but tell you quite a bit about each city such as Cinco ranch, woodlands etc.

Ive inquired with the CoH Planning & Dev, but perhaps you might know this. The land-use map I have is old, do you know where I can get a copy of the land-use map they have on that site in some sort of scalable format, perhaps PDF?

Ive inquired with the CoH Planning & Dev, but perhaps you might know this.  The land-use map I have is old, do you know where I can get a copy of the land-use map they have on that site in some sort of scalable format, perhaps PDF?

I guess 27 might know since he works for the Fire Department and I am sure they have the latest maps.

Here is an example of a new renovation here in Sharpstown. It is in my neighborhood off Marry Bates a couple streets over from Bellaire. The owner was polite enough to let me in and show me around. They added I believe 600 square feet and the house and landscaping are gorgeous.

Picture006_03Sep04.jpg

Here is an example of a new renovation here in Sharpstown.  It is in my neighborhood off Marry Bates a couple streets over from Bellaire.  The owner was polite enough to let me in and show me around.  They added I believe 600 square feet and the house and landscaping are gorgeous.

Picture006_03Sep04.jpg

Looks like a steel roof. For bullet protection?.......hehe. just kidding. It looks good. Clean properties do a lot to attract new buyers and inspire other residents.

...helping.

As many of you know, I'm intimately involved restoring Sharpstown to its rightful glory as a wonderful neighborhood to raise a family, shop, and just generally "be".

I was wondering who here has the rendering abilities to render landscapes, hardscapes, etc of future or proposed plans/ideas for the area. I would also like to include some before and after ideas of current homes and their remodeled possibilities. This would be a great project for someone trying to develop a portfolio or get involved in community work.

Pro bono helps too. :)

Let me know if anyone here has these skills and so on.

Feel free to reply here, via PM or via IM.

Thanks for any possible input.

G

It is in between Bellaire and Sandspoint (Harwin) north to south and Fondren and Gessner east and west.

It is a decent course, and they have been doing a lot to update and maintain it lately. Not bad at all for a public golf course.

well sharpstown needs a big change . especially the sharpstown mall, i think only if the mall can bring dramatic changes to it. Express closed there already. the only stores holding the mall are foleys & v.secret. People still spend money in that mall.

I think the Sharpstown area is an unrealized asset of the greater Houston community. The real question is: "when will the true value of Sharpstown be realized?"

I think several things need to be satisfied first, including embracing the diverse cultural community that currently comprises the Sharpstown neighborhood; but also addressing the crime that originates from the large apartment complexes that were built during the 1970's.

The second part is the more difficult issue. Should the complexes be torn down? If so, what happens to the residents? Perhaps, stricter law enforcement should take over. If so, how would it work and who should pay for it?

If its problems can be addressed, the Sharpstown area can really takeoff and once again become a high demand Houston neighborhood.

The second part is the more difficult issue.  Should the complexes be torn down?  If so, what happens to the residents?  Perhaps, stricter law enforcement should take over.  If so, how would it work and who should pay for it?

In the current rental environment, I don't think there's hope for a cleanup. If the rental environment tightens up in a few years, these properties will probably change hands, or get refurbished, and the rents will go up....

Archived