Sharpstown Real Estate

HOUCAJUN

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anyone know what is going on in the sharpstown area? an abandoned car lot was demolshed and cleared. what do they have planned for that area. i hope they transform the area like they did gulfgate. peace out :huh:

I know the mall recently underwent a transformation. Are you talking about neighborhood upgrades, too? I wouldn't be surprised considering its location -- very desireable. With more people wanting to live closer in, this could be the next big neighborhood to be cleaned up.

As a Sharpstown native (SHS class of '85) and frequent visitor (parents still live there), I can say that the situation in Sharpstown is still grim. The demolition of the Gilman auto dealership at Sharpstown Mall is indicative of a trend that has been going on for years - retail industry flight. Even Toys R Us closed fairly recently, in spite of (who knows, maybe because of) the large Hispanic population in the area. The area is so saturated with dollar stores that one recently closed down.

On the north side of Sharpstown, Chinatown seems to be going strong, but the rest of Sharpstown continues to get hollowed out. The only good news is that most of derelict retail facilities are finding alternate uses. Memorial hospital is using the Toys R Us parking lot, the old K-mart is now the Spanish-speaking Carnaval night club (totally packed on Saturday night), the old Sams Club has been an HISD alternative school for many years. Sharpstown Mall is the big question mark. Will it survive? The last time I visited it was still viable, although there was plenty of empty retail space. I'm surprised Foley's is still open. If Foley's closes, it could mean trouble, or possibly opportunity if Wal-mart moves in.

I get the impression that housing prices have dropped about $15-20K per home in the last 12-18 months (say from $140K for 4-bedroom to $120K). Houses just aren't selling. The rental property next to my parents has been vacant for over a year. I know of another rental property that was vacant for a year. If landlords don't want section 8 tenants, they face a big challenge.

I agree, Sharpstown is well-situated, about 3-4 miles from the Galleria (quick access now with the tollway) and about 10 miles from downtown. Still, with the glut of very low income apartments in the area, a renaissance just isn't going to happen.

I get the impression that housing prices have dropped about $15-20K per home in the last 12-18 months (say from $140K for 4-bedroom to $120K). Houses just aren't selling. The rental property next to my parents has been vacant for over a year. I know of another rental property that was vacant for a year. If landlords don't want section 8 tenants, they face a big challenge.

I don't believe housing prices have fallen. There have been several three bedroom near me for the high $120's-low $130's. This os a huge improvement ver 8-9 years ago when the houses were selling in the mid $50's. Also in the past year or so there are much fewer houses for sale and vacant than there were 3 years ago.

As a Sharpstown native (SHS class of '85) and frequent visitor (parents still live there), I can say that the situation in Sharpstown is still grim. The demolition of the Gilman auto dealership at Sharpstown Mall is indicative of a trend that has been going on for years - retail industry flight. Even Toys R Us closed fairly recently, in spite of (who knows, maybe because of) the large Hispanic population in the area. The area is so saturated with dollar stores that one recently closed down.

On the north side of Sharpstown, Chinatown seems to be going strong, but the rest of Sharpstown continues to get hollowed out. The only good news is that most of derelict retail facilities are finding alternate uses. Memorial hospital is using the Toys R Us parking lot, the old K-mart is now the Spanish-speaking Carnaval night club (totally packed on Saturday night), the old Sams Club has been an HISD alternative school for many years. Sharpstown Mall is the big question mark. Will it survive? The last time I visited it was still viable, although there was plenty of empty retail space. I'm surprised Foley's is still open. If Foley's closes, it could mean trouble, or possibly opportunity if Wal-mart moves in.

I agree, Sharpstown is well-situated, about 3-4 miles from the Galleria (quick access now with the tollway) and about 10 miles from downtown. Still, with the glut of very low income apartments in the area, a renaissance just isn't going to happen.

Very interesting, especially about the possibility for new opportunities in the area. You're right -- Sharpstown would be a good location for another Wal-Mart if Foley's pulls out. It will at least keep some money in the immediate community, though it would dramatically change the character of the mall.

The other thing to note is Little Hong Kong. Asian immigrant groups have always been very good about going in to run-down neighborhoods and returning them to viability. I noticed it with my old neighborhood where I grew up in New York. When I grew up there it was white middle-class. After I left it went through several ethnic changes and ended up with more abandoned burned-out buildings than lived-in buildings. About 15 years ago, Asian immigrants started moving in, buying up the burned out homes and opening businesses. I haven't been back in 10 years, so I don't know if it worked, but there's always hope.

I see lots of homebuilding north of Bellaire. They're very modest-looking homes, and I think they are targetted at the Asian community - especially the Chinese immigrants. I noticed some houses that were three stories tall, and since the Chinese family unit traditionally contains extended family, these seemed to be suited for that type of arrangement. The Westpark tollway might be influencing developers to build in this area as well.

The other thing to note is Little Hong Kong.  Asian immigrant groups have always been very good about going in to run-down neighborhoods and returning them to viability.  I noticed it with my old neighborhood where I grew up in New York.  When I grew up there it was white middle-class.  After I left it went through several ethnic changes and ended up with more abandoned burned-out buildings than lived-in buildings.  About 15 years ago, Asian immigrants started moving in, buying up the burned out homes and opening businesses.  I haven't been back in 10 years, so I don't know if it worked, but there's always hope.

Yes, I agree. The Asian presence helped keep Sharptown viable, particularly the western area near Chinatown where I grew up. But Asians are less interested in Sharpstown now. With greater financial strength, they are moving to areas like First Colony and Sugar Land. It seems like Alief, with its even lower home prices, is the first stop for new immigrants. Then they move on to areas like Sugar Land. I'm not sure what is driving Asians away from Sharpstown but I would guess it is the glut of low income apartments.

• 2 weeks later...
anyone know what is going on in the sharpstown area? an abandoned car lot was demolshed and cleared. what do they have planned for that area. i hope they transform the area like they did gulfgate. peace out :huh:

Yeah, I lamented the loss of the Gillman building in the Houston Mod section of teh old forum. That was a very cool modern building with the angled glass windows and boomerang shaped roof! :(

I hope the old Montgomery Ward auto shop across Bellaire in the mall's parking lot can be saved since that's a great building too.

Just down the street from here closer to 59 an old strip center was also recently torn down on the east side of the Conquistador Condos high rise... I drove through here a couple of days ago and I see that they have built from the ground up a new free standing Circuit City store just !

I though this was strange since there is already a Circuit City a few miles down 59 at Fondren. Furthermore they are building it closer to another store they already have at 610 & San Felipe! Are they going to close one of those stores?

Another strange thing is that the new site doesn't nearly have the good freeway visibility that the other location further down the freeway has.

Sharpstown and Westbury to an extent, both have bad schools and high crime. When $150K homes are a dime a dozen in a lot newer neighborhoods with much better schools and lower crime, why would anyone (with children) choose to live in either one of these areas (besides a closer-in location and shorter commute)? Both of these areas have been in decline for YEARS and with no renaissance in sight, what are the future prospects for these once-premier neighborhoods? (I am a former longtime resident of the area and would not consider moving back.)

Sharpstown and Westbury to an extent, both have bad schools and high crime. When $150K homes are a dime a dozen in a lot newer neighborhoods with much better schools and lower crime, why would anyone (with children) choose to live in either one of these areas (besides a closer-in location and shorter commute)? Both of these areas have been in decline for YEARS and with no renaissance in sight, what are the future prospects for these once-premier neighborhoods? (I am a former longtime resident of the area and would not consider moving back.)

Such is the fate of older suburbs everywhere. Rundown old suburban areas been referred to as doughnut suburbs because they circle inner city areas, some of which have rebounded, and are surrounded by nicer newer suburbs. There's often little to hold up value when, as you point out, newer, nicer, and cheaper houses are just a little further out. Sometimes many of the residents are elderly and unable to keep up with repairs, which worsens things. This was the case for a long time in West University. There were hundreds of houses from the 1940s and 1950s with elderly people that were poorly maintained. Over time most of the original houses were just bulldozed and replaced. Maybe that will eventually happen in areas like Westbury.

I thought the FRY's was by the beltway, at 59, close to Stafford, Sugarland, and The Meadows....

You're right, they're also building one near 59 and sugarland.

Yeah, as far as I know that is the only Fry's going up on the SW Freeway.... It's at 59 and Wilcrest/Murphy Road, one exit outside the beltway (not near Sharpstown).

Personally I can't wait... I love Fry's but I hate making that long trek up 45 to get there... this one will be much more convenient for me :)

Yeah, as far as I know that is the only Fry's going up on the SW Freeway.... It's at 59 and Wilcrest/Murphy Road, one exit outside the beltway (not near Sharpstown).

There's also one being built in Clear Lake as ricco67 referred to in his post.

Yeah, it was in the CHronicle a few weeks ago. The design looked awesome, with some sort of space looking thingy.

• 5 weeks later...
I don't know about the Nasa road one, but the one right outside the Beltway on 59 is a relatively boring tan building.  It is almost done the trees are already planted and the outside is pretty much done, it looks as if they are just finishing the inside.

The other one that they are building is really cool! I saw it in the Chronicle, it looks like a rocket space ship. It's very nice! and something diffrent. Now the one on 59 is just plan, tan and stucco. I saw it the other day when I can can to Houston to go to Sugar Land.

The one at the Beltway (Near the BW and 59 internchange) Isnt rennovated! Its another sprawl-o-matic big box- brand new!

Wait- unless we are both confused: WHICH location are we talking about? I am referring to the one SOUTH of the BW and I can rememeber them pouring the foundation, and erecting the walls....

I was referring to the style, and the fact that big boxes are essentially sprawl-o-matics. That area could use some revitalization, anyway. And yes, I like the fact that they built it in such an area already. Just N of the stack, there used to be a bunch of crappy fields of nasty commerical, and trashed fields. Today, it is the home to many car dealerships. Not the best thing, but it sure beats staring at nasty old beat up apartment complexes!

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

New member here. Found this topic while oogling through Google so I thought I'd pop in.

I am a Sharpstown-ite-onian-er? I have been since my parents moved back here when I was quite young and I have had a genuine love for it ever since. I don't think there is a more beautiful neighborhood in the city of Houston. With its streets lined with green lawns and live oaks, children playing, and the peaceful hum of US HWY 59 (did I say that?!) I think it is hard to beat. I am of course talking about INSIDE the neighborhoods, not the slummy apartment complexes or ramshackle retail centers.

I have great ambitions for the Sharpstown area. Through the nurturing of my uncle who rarely travels outside the zipcode, I have done a lot of work (though not as much as he) on my plans, hopes and dreams for Sharpstown.

Here are few facts about Sharpstown:

• Sharpstown was the first Super Neighborhood in the United States and remains one of the largest residential and deed-restricted communities in the United States.
  • Sharpstown is home to Houston's first Air Conditioned shopping mall.
  • Frank Sharp started the development of Sharpstown in 1954
  • Sharpstown is home to over 7,000 SFH's
  • Property values in Sharpstown are appreciating steadily.
  • Sharpstown has a TIRZ (Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone) and a PID (Public Improvement District)
  • Sharpstown has an average household income of $70,000
  • Sharpstown is home to Houston Baptist Universtity and its 100 acre campus. Approximately 2,600 students attend HBU.
  • Sharpstown is also home to the busiest emergency room in Houston at Memorial-Herman Southwest (located on the HBU lot). It's location (on US HWY 59 between 610 and BW8) make it the busiest in Houston.
  • Sharpstown is home to over 10 schools (public and private).
  • The City of Houston is currently involved in a $26,000,000 long-term improvement project along the Bellaire / Fondren corridor.
  • Sharpstown has access to all parts of the city in only minutes via its proximity to US HWY 59, Harris County Toll Road 8, US Loop I-610.
  • Sharpstown is only minutes away from some of the largest shopping and retail areas in Houston (Uptown, Galleria, Town & Country, Midtown)
  • Sharpstown has a growing business presence as well as being only minutes from Uptown, Westchase, and south side business districts.

I think that is enough for now. As you can see, Sharpstown has tons of promise for the future. Who knows, maybe some of you will be called on to help realize it!

:)

As you can see, Sharpstown has tons of promise for the future.  Who knows, maybe some of you will be called on to help realize it!

:)

Welcome aboard, g.

I agree. Its inevitable that the whole area around there will improve eventually due to it's increasingly nice location. I think right now is the perfect time to invest there. It's like the stock market. In 99', when grocery clerks were giving stock tips and "everyone" was buying, that was a sure sign of the end and the time to sell.

When "everyone" thinks Sharpstown is bad, that is the time to buy. The main difference is that real estate takes longer to change trends than the stock market.

Sharpstown is the urban frontier. It was the pioneers who were willing to risk taking a few arrows who got the best lands and paved the way for the less adventurous. I kind of did the same thing out here on the east end and I haven't seen any arrows so far. These areas are disappearing and are for those with more guts than money. It's an American tradition.

G Wilson, welcome to HAIF! I wanted ask you a question (or two) about your facts.

I work for HFD, so I make ALOT of trips to the hospital. I won't disagree with you that SW Memorial is the busiest on the SW side of town, but is it really the busiest in the city? Is this based in ER check-ins or actual admitting? I would think Ben Taub might beat her out due to the fact its a county hospital, it's a level 1 trauma center, and it's centralized location to the city. What do you think? If Ben Taub isn't the busiest, then where does it rank?

Also, is Strake Jesuit  geograpically inside Sharpstown, and if not, do they still consider themselves a part of Sharpstown? Actually, with that question - what is Sharpstown's physical boundaries?

Lastly, are the deed restrictions for the community still actively enforced there?

Thanks for all the info on Sharpstown!

Glen

Hey Two-Seven, thanks for the welcome.

The bit on SW Memorial being the busiest came from SW Houston Chamber of Commerce. This isn't the only place I have heard it. I don't know if it is based on check-ins or admissions. I know, living less than a mile from it, that it is quite busy though.

Strake IS inside Sharpstown. What we consider Sharpstown extends North to Westpark Toll Road, East to Hillcroft, down US HWY 59 to Gessner...

I have a giant map in the car, how about I take a shot of it and upload it in a bit? lol.

SCA hasn't been as diligent as they should be with deed restrictions. This is another thing I am hoping to resolve. There are a couple options for this, but at this point we would really just like to get some SCA leadership who will enforce the rules more than selectively. They are diligent in publishing the newsletter though!

Archived