Waterside Marketplace At 8019 West Grand Parkway S.

sweetjones

Does anyone have any new information regarding this new store. From the looks of it, I can't see how this is suppose to be the largest Kroger in Texas but I am definitely glad that I have another store that is closer to my home. It also looks like the Pizza place is close to opening.

www.Read-King.com

Waterside Marketplace

• 1 month later...

sweetjones,

I'm real excited about this. It looks like at least from the outside that they should be opening way earlier than October though. I feel like I've been waiting forever for a local grocery store. Hurry it up already!! <_<

I'll definitely have to check them out. I called our current dentist today to schedule appointments for my kids and have to wait until the end of September for one appt and October 21st for the 2nd one.

I'm not good at waiting!!!!

Shellbi

I have a friend that opened a new dental office next door, check it out.

Fossum Family Dentistry

• 1 month later...

Yes, the gas station is up and running. I've been there twice so far. Very convenient

This will be the largest Kroger in the entire state of Texas and will be the fifth one that the company has ever built. According to an article that I read it will basically have everything that the HEB on S. fry has (Gourmet food, healthy section, etc.) but will also have a jewelery store and Ashley furniture. I also read that in some part of the store it looks like a JC penny's with clothes and the like. This will be very interesting, if they "Kroger's" only knew what is going to be built right in front of them across 99.....within the next year year and a half............ :o

I'll bite! What's going to be built across 99 from the Kroger? There's a Walgreens that was just built there. On the other corner is a bank of america, sonic and a storefront shopping center. There's only one corner that nothing is built on yet, but it's not across 99, it's on the same side as the Kroger. I do know that an HEB is going to be built near the intersection of Harlem and 99 in about a year and half. Is that what your talking about?

I'll bite! What's going to be built across 99 from the Kroger? There's a Walgreens that was just built there. On the other corner is a bank of america, sonic and a storefront shopping center. There's only one corner that nothing is built on yet, but it's not across 99, it's on the same side as the Kroger. I do know that an HEB is going to be built near the intersection of Harlem and 99 in about a year and half. Is that what your talking about?

Yes it is going to be an HEB they are just going to wait to see how the Kroger settles and when they are doing well, BAM HEB is going to hit them where it hurts. They are going to build it in the front it may not be directly but it will be across from it. It will be like the HEB at Bunker Hill and I-10.

Thanks for the information. Actually the HEB is going to be a bit south on 99 at Harlem and W. Bellfort formerly Madden Rd. It will be in the new Aliana Masterplanned Community right near the polo fields. It will be competition for the Kroger but it will not be located at the same intersection. Competition is good for consumers as hopefully it will keep the prices down.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the information. Actually the HEB is going to be a bit south on 99 at Harlem and W. Bellfort formerly Madden Rd. It will be in the new Aliana Masterplanned Community right near the polo fields. It will be competition for the Kroger but it will not be located at the same intersection. Competition is good for consumers as hopefully it will keep the prices down.

Has anyone heard anything regarding the HEB or Kroger?

Has anyone heard anything regarding the HEB or Kroger?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Asked a couple of construction guys what is going up in the front of Waterside. They said ,"A Jack in the Box and some sort of Liquor store." Not sure about the liquor store as there is already one in the shopping strips and a heck of a selection for beer and wine in the Kroger. But, even a terrible fast food chain like Jack in the Box is a semi-step in the right direction adding some much needed dinning options to the area.

My Rant (for what little it is worth)

Who the @#$% determined that the 99 corridor was an extension of the Hwy 6 Ghetto? I think the more accurate description would be Sugar Land and Cinco Ranch type people with less uppityness about them. In other words, they don't overextend themselves on overpriced housing and Luxury Cars. That means more disposable income to actually spend at stores around them. Kroger got it right, saw the perfect storm of "age of acquisition" and "modest living, disposable income" families and built the largest Kroger in the world right there. That's why they are as successful as they are. End of rant.

Asked a couple of construction guys what is going up in the front of Waterside. They said ,"A Jack in the Box and some sort of Liquor store." Not sure about the liquor store as there is already one in the shopping strips and a heck of a selection for beer and wine in the Kroger. But, even a terrible fast food chain like Jack in the Box is a semi-step in the right direction adding some much needed dinning options to the area.

My Rant (for what little it is worth)

Who the @#$% determined that the 99 corridor was an extension of the Hwy 6 Ghetto? I think the more accurate description would be Sugar Land and Cinco Ranch type people with less uppityness about them. In other words, they don't overextend themselves on overpriced housing and Luxury Cars. That means more disposable income to actually spend at stores around them. Kroger got it right, saw the perfect storm of "age of acquisition" and "modest living, disposable income" families and built the largest Kroger in the world right there. That's why they are as successful as they are. End of rant.

Where on earth are you getting the above in bold? I don't see any resemblance.

As far as lack of options, I've been surprised at the lack of development along the Grand Pkwy from the northernmost end of New Territory all the way up to Waterside Estates. Seems like a huge untapped potential. There's not even a home improvement place (Home Depot or Lowe's) anywhere really close! Why did Lowe's build outside Quail Valley right across Hwy 6 from a Home Depot?

Hopefully Aliana will be able to draw in some places along the Grand Pkwy... now that I've driven by and see several of their signs changed from "future residential" to "future commercial" just in the last few weeks.

In re: to Shulse,

I would have to agree that development decisions could be given more due dilligence (the area has the income, market diversity, and population to support a number of things) but the idea right now is to get a return on your investment in whatever form comes your way regardless of it's impact to the surrounding community. One example that is not too far from the 99 corridor that you refer to is the development in recent years along 359 outside of Pecan Grove. I'm certain there were concerns raised when the trend in fast food joints, oil change/car repair businesses, etc began to flourish with really no master plan in place. This lack of planning and disregard to the needs of the community over the almighty dollar has always concerned me as it does have just as much a negative impact on overall environmental aesthetics and your property value as the guy living next you who decides it is appropriate to park his car in the front yard.

Consider too that a number of businesses/franchises over in the Hwy 6 corridor you refer to are now looking for new markets in order to survive- those interests are more than elated about the chance to carry on here and I'm guessing that the price of entry was lowered.

With respect to the new businesses though- yes- we have enough fast food options in the area (I would vote for Jack in the Box over Mickey D's or Sonic by the way) and we really don't need the additional liquor store unless it results in lower prices across the board (likely won't be the case and I wonder how many folks make the venture to Spec's anyway) but, looking at it from the land owner's perspective they are willing to accept anything in this down economy. I'm guessing that there have been few takers in recent months (such as the restaurants, retail, etc that we see in Cinco/Sugar Land we would like to have instead) so, to the land owner- anything is better than no return at all. Thus, the proliferation of banks, auto care businesses, and I'm guessing a few more fast food establishments along this section of Hwy 99.

It really boils down to restrictions on Commercial development and a collection of members in the community to monitor it (something we, unlike our neighbors in Sugar Land and Cinco Ranch, seem to be lacking).

From the perspective of a non-land owner- I would rather see unimproved property over fast food joints and automotive care facilities. I have lived in this area for nearly 16 years and recall the days when I had to commute all the way to First Colony for groceries, pizza, retail, etc. Later this commute was shortened by offerrings in New Territory, RiverPark, Cinco Ranch. Never really had that aching desire to have commercial activity here at Waterside but what did appear in recent years was, amazingly, tasteful in terms of the architecture. Now, however, with the trend I am seeing between Long Meadow Farms and Waterside, I am a bit concerned that we could lose the battle of aesthetics.

The perfect answer would be to collect enough money from everyone in the community to buy up the undeveloped land and then control the market ourselves but that is unlikely given the amount of investment it would take. The other suggestion is to get close to your M.U.D. board as they hear of such plans well before anyone else does. I have heard that there is a Commerical Modifications committee that supposedly has the same powers as the HOA's deed restriction committee but they are sort of an "undisclosed party" beyond the citizen's reach. Wonder what influence the County Commissioner would have but keep in mind that some sales tax revenue coming in is better than none at all.

Wish we had the chance to dictate the business establishments that choose to move in (amazing isn't it- as we are the market they analyze to death before making any investment -right?) but we are at their mercy. Let us hope that in the long-term lessons from West Oaks area have been learned and that a standard is maintained going forward that connects Cinco Ranch to Telfair and all those in between without allowing the permanent damage that a down economy creates to mar the value we all find in living here today.

As AK123 stated, let's hope that Aliana's further development provides a standard in commercial development that benefits us rather than hurts us.

• 2 years later...

They are building some strip centers out front in between the jack in the box and the shell / McDonald's   Any idea what is going in there. I heard Wendy's was going to be st the north end. Anyone hear anything else / different?

• The title was changed to Waterside Marketplace Developments
  • The title was changed to Waterside Marketplace At 8019 West Grand Parkway S.

Archived