Is Bryan ready for Z Islander?

Scotch

Z Islander of Bryan

I originally meant for the title of this topic to refer to the brightly colored buildings of this large student development, but more importantly, is Bryan prepapred to take better advantage the influx of students by encouraging more entertainment, retail and restaurants in the area?

waves-cabana-beach4.jpg

Aerial view of site, Reveille Ranch(developed as Campus Lodge by Z Islander developer Fort Group) is seen in the upper left of picture.

waves-cabana-beach2.jpg

Artist rendering.

DSCN0948.jpg

Picture of main section of complex after bright colors were added to some of the buildings.

I was glad to read about this in an Eagle article today:

At its Tuesday meeting, the Bryan City Council got a preview of the proposed capital improvement projects to be initiated between 2010 and 2014.

$3.9 million worth of improvements to College Main Street and Old College Road... are just a few projects Bryan residents could expect to see started next year.

I really hope Bryan will take a comprehensive look at the area north of College Station's Northgate. A loft-style complex on College Main in College Station is just a block away from the Bryan city limits but right when you cross the line there is a small run-down area. This should be a quick fix, as there are already some quality student living complexes in the area. The high quality Aggie Station complex extends from Wellborn Rd. to College Main, and of course further north you have Reveille Ranch and Z Islander on Wellborn.

If redevelopment of the area will follow the road enhancements, then it will go a long way to improve Aggies' first impression of Bryan. As I have mentioned before, I believe areas such as this so close to Texas A&M should be reserved for upscale student living, and the City of Bryan should do whatever it needs to do to remove the riff raff and encourage the upgrades.

The artist's rendering is way too cartoony. But the real life photo doesn't make it look that great, either. Looks a little like a Spanish hill town.

Did the lush landscaping from the drawing happen in real life?

This is still under construction, so I don't know if they will really go the palm tree route. I think there may already be bushes planted instead of the tropical landscaping, I'll check back in a few weeks to see what happens.

I was not a fan of the colors when I first saw them, but the idea is growing on me. There is a nice B&B with a wedding reception room that backs up to these apartments, they probably aren't too thrilled.

Even if I get used to the colors, I'm not so sure about the windmill:

DSCN0951.jpg

Archived