Home At 18 Sunset Blvd.

marmer

Somewhere I read about an "International style house on a high earthen berm" at 18 Sunset, but can't for the life of me find where. Not the Arch Guide, not the Southampton tour guide, not the Rice U guide. Anyway, it looks like it was quietly demolished in 2007, about the time an opaque gate was installed. Two of the four compass directions on Live Search still show it:

18 Sunset

and two don't:

Gone now.

Anybody know anything more?

Here are the permits:

Demolition:

Project No: 06110419

Date: 2007/01/22

USE: DEMO RES/SEWER DISC

Owner/Occupant: PETRELLO ANTHONY

Job Address: 18 SUNSET BLVD 77005

Valuation: $ 0

Permit Type: SD

FCC Group: Demo; Single Familty Dwelling

Buyer: HUDSPETH C M ETU

Address : 18 SUNSET BLVD 77005

Fence:

Project No: 07034512

Date: 2007/04/25

USE: NEW COMM FENCE

Owner/Occupant: PETRELLO ANTHONY

Job Address: 18 SUNSET BLVD 77005

Valuation: $ 0

Permit Type: FF

FCC Group: Structures Other than Buildings

Buyer: *ALL TEXAS PERMITS

Address: 11222 RICHMOND AVE 235 77082

Phone: (281) 752-7800

• 4 years later...

Talk about a "Grave-dig!"   Found it, in Stephen Fox's _Rice University Campus Guide._

"… a one-story house of 1965 designed by the Dallas architect Frank D. Welch for Helen Cummings and Ghent Graves.  A modern house, the Graves house is raised on a high grass berm, as were several of the early houses in Shadyside.  Its pyramidal roof and encircling gallery evoke Texas regional architectural prototypes."

Apparently it was bought and demolished by Anthony Petrello, rumor has it as additional tent space for events at his Shadyside house.   The lot is currently vacant but wooded.

I attended the estate sale at this house.  We entered from Dora Street and had no idea the place was going to be anything special from the ad or the appearance of the service gate and court.  It seems like the house was a white stucco box with deep porches on the front and sides, very low key and simple yet large enough to have importance. Inside it was roomy and fairly open with high ceilings and light colors/white but very dark due to the deeply recessed windows. The kitchen and bedrooms didn't seem especially pleasant.  The place was well maintained.  I have photos of it somewhere. The almost new Echo blower I got there that day still works great.  I was thinking that blower was still almost new too until I saw the demo permit date above.

Post the pictures if you can find them. I'm interested in anything Frank Welch does. Sounds like the house I've read about that he did in Memorial for the Sarofims. It was published in Texas Architect, but I can't find it. 

Yes, I did. My Mom worked with Frank Welch to design both of those houses. The River Point House must be the one you are talking about, but I think it was built in 1992 (I was in college when my mom moved in and I graduated in '93). I would love to see those pictures. I LOVE that house. I've heard the new owners have made some changes, the biggest being removing all of the saltillo tile and replacing it with hardwoods.

• 3 years later...

I grew up at 18 Sunset Rd in the home Frank Welch designed for my parents. My mother, Sally Sample Graves, had asked Welch to design a house like the plantation Cherokee, in Natchitoches, La., which was owned by her Murphy cousins. I believe it was one of Welch’s early commissions.

• 4 months later...
On 12/12/2017 at 9:47 AM, Clark said:

I grew up at 18 Sunset Rd in the home Frank Welch designed for my parents. My mother, Sally Sample Graves, had asked Welch to design a house like the plantation Cherokee, in Natchitoches, La., which was owned by her Murphy cousins. I believe it was one of Welch’s early commissions.

Small world; I have family in Natchitoches and Coushatta. 

• The title was changed to Home At 18 Sunset Blvd.

Archived