Texas lawmaker: Asians should change their names to make them

HtownWxBoy

Pet peeve time.

Your and You're. Please learn the difference.

Hey Crunch-

Using "crunchtastic" as your female name, your new Betty Brown name is "Crystal Lunchables Brown."

AWESOME. Thanks! I think 'Crystal' is going to be a hardworking, meth-using, truck stop waitress with a heart of gold.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The term racist now has come to represent ONLY white people. When in reality - I firmly believe that there are many times more Black people who are racist against whites, and Hispanics, than there are remnants of racists who are white. There will always be racism - you cant force people to get along if they do not want to - but each generation of white people is more accepting than the next, and it seems to me the black generations are more and more hostile towards everyone else.

The difference between the two being that a black person can call a white person anything he wants, and its not racist. A black person can call a hispanic anything he wants, and nobody raises a stink about it. Same is true for a Hispanic saying anything about blacks or other hispanics, but a White person GOD FORBID says something that can be DISTORTED to be made even mildly offensive, and they are the worst of the Racists.

Im sick of it - There are racists everywhere - Whites are the only one who are getting torn apart becuase they have been so busy trying to appease everyone else they are afraid to stand up and say no - your an idiot - Im not racist because I dont agree with you, and Im not racist if I dont want to change EVERYTHING in my life to appease you. This country has a history that is being eroded in the name of political correctness - and I for one think its time to stand up and say ENOUGH -

Its not racist to think Obama is an idiot and hate all of his policies

Its not racist to tell an asian person that if they want to vote, they need to have the same name on their picture ID as is on their Voter registration

Its not racist to require ID to vote - its COMMON FREAKING SENSE - otherwise anyone can vote however many times they want.

Its not racist to enforce our laws against illegal immigrants of ANY nationality.

I do not see how in any sense of the imagination its minority voter suppression to require ID to vote - its the ONLY way to guarantee that the person who is voting, is who they say they are, and are ACTUALLY ALLOWED TO VOTE - NEWS FLASH - your illegal - you shouldnt be here - you dont get to freaking vote!

This is NOT RACISM - IVE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH THIS BS

I think this rant just proved my point again. Sort of like this fellow from "Twelve Angry Men"

I think this rant just proved my point again. Sort of like this fellow from "Twelve Angry Men"

News flash Mr. Progressive - you never made a point - all you ever said was you think more racists are republicans. And I pointed out that I firmly believe that to be ridiculous. I said only one thing - I'm tired of everybody using white people as a punching bag. A white person should be allowed to have an opinion about something without fear of being labeled a racist. In the world today we do not have that freedom. If it can be construed for political gain it will be. If that Betty Brown name generator site were creating slave names or any other type of racist name against any other race of person - it would be the worst site in the world. Simply because it is generating names that make fun of a white person its not racist. Its ok to make fun of white people, but nobody else.

I can see you feel very guilty for being white - Your probably one of the sheep who actually voted for Obama to help ease your conscience. - How very progressive of you.

EDIT - You also failed to point out exactly how it is racist or voter suppression to require an ID to vote.

Sorry, but this isn't about being politically correct. This is about NOT being a total dumbass.

As a white person, I take offense to Betty's comments because they make us all look foolish. Is she trying to say we can't master difficult word pronunciations? Is she trying to say Asians aren't Americans? Seriously, what is her point and why on earth would she say this to a speaker from an Asian-American group giving testimony in Austin?

Sorry, but this isn't about being politically correct. This is about NOT being a total dumbass.

As a white person, I take offense to Betty's comments because they make us all look foolish. Is she trying to say we can't master difficult word pronunciations? Is she trying to say Asians aren't Americans? Seriously, what is her point and why on earth would she say this to a speaker from an Asian-American group giving testimony in Austin?

Her point was simple - The Asian population needs to choose a single name and stick with it. The Asian, Mr Ko, was complaining to the committee that people of Chinese, Japanese and Korean descent often have problems voting because many times they have different names on their different forms of ID. Their Voter Registration and Social Security Cards had their true family surname on them, whereas their picture id's like drivers licenses, and school Id's had names that they had "Americanized" or shortened for ease of use in our society.

His complaint was that polling places were turning these Asian American's away because their name on their drivers license or school ID did not match the name on the voter registration card. Her recommendation was couldn't they make it easier on us and adopt a name that we can deal with rather than us have to learn to translate their surnames into the Americanized names they adopted.

She may not have chosen her words carefully, but I do not see how she was being stupid. Its just been jumped on by liberals as an opportunity to make another republican look racist.

She may not have chosen her words carefully, but I do not see how she was being stupid. Its just been jumped on by liberals as an opportunity to make another republican look racist.

Maybe she wasn't stupid, but I have to admit that I am having a hard time coming up with a word to describe the act of insulting the only minority that tended to support the GOP....other than, well, STUPID.

Her point was simple - The Asian population needs to choose a single name and stick with it. The Asian, Mr Ko, was complaining to the committee that people of Chinese, Japanese and Korean descent often have problems voting because many times they have different names on their different forms of ID. Their Voter Registration and Social Security Cards had their true family surname on them, whereas their picture id's like drivers licenses, and school Id's had names that they had "Americanized" or shortened for ease of use in our society.

I'm wondering why they have different names on different things. I'd guess that some forms have longer spaces, so they put their full names, then they run into forms with fewer spaces and are forced to truncate them

HEY KIDS! In an effort to be more helpful to your friendly neighborhood poll worker, Betty Brown has developed a 'Betty Brown Approved American Name Generator! Click on the link and type in your crappy foreign name and Betty will give you a patriotic America approved name to register to vote. Go on! It's easy!

Betty Brown American Name Generator

Mine's Billy-Ray "WalMart" Brown. I think I'll put it in my sig. :P

:lol: I am Billy-Ray "Cracker Barrel" Brown!!

The term racist now has come to represent ONLY white people.

Not in my book... I know of many racists who aren't white.

One minute, you say

what she said was CERTAINLY insensitive

Then the next, you say

This poor lady has been getting raked over the coals for nothing

Make up your mind, was what she said "insensitive" or "nothing"?

The "JLWM8609 Name Change Generator" has now changed your name to "MarkJohnKerrysmu" for your flip flop.

Yours Truly,

Joe-Bob "Dude Ranch" Brown ;)

As a white person, I take no offense to Betty's comments because they only make some of us look foolish, and not without reason. Many of us are foolish. I readily acknowledge the existence of dumb ____s among all races, ethnicities, genders, religious affiliations, sexualities, and political constituencies. I, myself, cannot be held responsible for their actions.

At this point, I'm not clear what the precise intent was. I can't access the Chronicle article, and other articles don't provide much detail on the issue. And I appreciate Sevfiv's effort to find the language in the bill that addresses this.

I know that many Chinese or Taiwanese (and possibly also other Asian nationalities, though I'm not personally aware of any examples) use an Americanized name for eased social interaction, and Americans speaking Chinese often do the same thing in reverse for the very same reason. I have a (black) friend who uses her legal American name domestically but a Chinese translation of it when dealing with China or Taiwan. It isn't racist, and really is just about making socialization easier. Now, having said that, I don't know whether she had her translated name on any of her documents when she was living in China. If so, then I could understand how it might confuse the bureaucracies over there and why they might force her to use one name or another. If that's the kind of issue that Betty Brown is bringing up, then it could be legitimate. **COULD BE** Names and aliases are very important, having implications not only at the voting booth but for law enforcement, immigration, tax filing, and so on and so forth. But as I pointed out, I've only seen a few quotes, and no context. Although I am dubious, I will give her the benefit of the doubt until such time as I actually understand the issue.

His complaint was that polling places were turning these Asian American's away because their name on their drivers license or school ID did not match the name on the voter registration card. Her recommendation was couldn't they make it easier on us and adopt a name that we can deal with rather than us have to learn to translate their surnames into the Americanized names they adopted.

I have never been asked for an additional ID card when I vote. I show the clerk my voter registration card and that's it. Why would a clerk need to see other identifications if you have your voter registration card with you? The voter registration card shows a date of birth, gender, precinct number, address and a voter ID number. That's it. Show that and vote. Am I missing something?

I have never been asked for an additional ID card when I vote. I show the clerk my voter registration card and that's it. Why would a clerk need to see other identifications if you have your voter registration card with you? The voter registration card shows a date of birth, gender, precinct number, address and a voter ID number. That's it. Show that and vote. Am I missing something?

Good point, and also there is only one place for you to sign your name when you vote. This idea that there are teams of "Acorn-sponsored" minorities out there voting multiple times is B.S. If you've already signed in and voted, no one can come behind you and vote again.

There is a reason why these ID bills are pushed exclusively by the GOP. They are known to supress voter turnout amoung minorites. As we know from voting statistics, minorities by far vote Democratic.

http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/03/sup...g-the-vote.html

Anyone that says otherwise is full of it.

I had to show my ID at Books-A-Million in the Abilene Mall when I voted.

My "Betty Brown" name was close...oh, so close.

Timmy Chan translates to BILLY RAY "Chicken and Dumplings" BROWN.

Change the dumplings to "Egg Rolls" and you're on to something... :P

The Americanized name alsohappens to be shared with a certain 4-time All-American golfer at that little university a few blocks down Scott Street from Timmy Chan's Chicken and Egg Rolls!

Is Billy Ray Brown the Original Original Timmy Chan?!?

I was thinking the same thing...

Also, if a woman has two forms of ID, one with her maiden name and one without, is she similarly turned away (assuming she is even asked for the 2nd form of ID) ?

there are instances where another id can help troubleshoot problems. if you've worked elections, you've no doubt had to address a situation where a person has moved, changed their license, but didn't update their registration. so they arrive at the new precinct, want to vote and their name isn't on the list. they could vote provisionally there OR drive to their original precinct and vote where they're on the list. of course, this is where people can be understanding OR create havoc.

there are instances where another id can help troubleshoot problems. if you've worked elections, you've no doubt had to address a situation where a person has moved, changed their license, but didn't update their registration. so they arrive at the new precinct, want to vote and their name isn't on the list. they could vote provisionally there OR drive to their original precinct and vote where they're on the list. of course, this is where people can be understanding OR create havoc.

Yes, there are always those few that show up unprepared, and usually at the last minute, expecting to be taken care of, with little regard for the others that are patiently waiting in line.

I have been asked every single time I have ever voted for my drivers license and voter registration, and like it or not - its not racist to require both to vote. If it suppresses minority vote - too bad - go get either a drivers license or an ID card made at the DMV - you need one, its cheap - and everyone has to do it, or at least should have to do it. If thats difficult or incovenient for you I am sorry but I guess everyone has to "sacrifice" a little bit to enjoy all the freedoms and opportunities this country has.

Second, I witnessed first hand at the voting precinct in the Heights a Hispanic woman directly in front of me who was trying to vote. She did not speak any English at all, and she had her 11 or 12 year old daughter translating for her while interacting with the older woman running the sign in table. She was very upset because the woman would not let her vote. While I stood behind her, I listened to the little girl who was translating telling the older woman that the mother had been going from precinct to precinct voting and that she was the first person to not just let her sign her name and vote. That is voter fraud - I have no idea who she was voting for but if I witnessed it and was only there for 30 minutes - I guarantee its happening all over the US. Whether her vote was provisional in all those other precincts and was tossed is not the point. The point is that it can be stopped.

I fail to see how requiring an ID to vote is racist or designed to suppress minority voting. I do fully understand how it would suppress illegal immigrants others not allowed to vote from voting, but if you are legally in this country have taken the time to get a voter registration card then you can show your ID to the pollster to vote. Its not difficult, its not racist, and its not heavily sided towards discriminating against one party. Its absolutely color blind.

I fail to see how requiring an ID to vote is racist or designed to suppress minority voting. I do fully understand how it would suppress illegal immigrants others not allowed to vote from voting, but if you are legally in this country have taken the time to get a voter registration card then you can show your ID to the pollster to vote. Its not difficult, its not racist, and its not heavily sided towards discriminating against one party. Its absolutely color blind.

There is a legitimate argument, I think, to be made one way or the other.

On the one hand, requiring that a photo ID be shown along with voter registration seems easy enough. But the evidence would appear to indicate that there is disproportionate adverse impact to voter turnout among certain populations and not others. That isn't to say that white folks won't also be disenfranchised, just not in the same proportions as black/brown folks. If the lawmakers' concern is that people whose skin is of a certain color might be disproportionately disenfranchised, and the data supports that concern, then the impact of the photo ID is essentially the same as the old Jim Crow laws (which restricted voting on the basis of literacy, poll taxes, and other measures). Looking at them from an historical perspective, Jim Crow laws were passed with a fairly explicit intent of disenfranchising black voters, and (not unlike the voter ID issue)they were especially common in southern states, supported by dominant political parties wherever they stood to gain from it. And there's federal case law that would seem oppose legislation to that effect.

The Jim Crow laws also had a parallel to the voter ID issue in that they had a justification that, on the face, was not unreasonable. I personally don't think that a literacy test is unreasonable, for instance. I also don't think that a test of civics knowledge is unreasonable. Nor do I think that requiring a valid form of ID at the polls is unreasonable. And I don't care whether the impact disproportionately affects any special population of voters. Actually, I don't care about skin color, specifically. Insofar as the government that restricts voting on the basis of literacy or basic civics knowledge makes an equal effort to educate all populations regardless of skin color, I am colorblind to the impact. It isn't an issue about race at that point; it is an issue of ethnicity and culture. And in this realm, no political party is innocent. Gerrymandering has been around for just about as long as the country, and it has occurred all over the country, even in regions that at one time had no racial minority populations other than non-citizen Indians...but that did have multiple idealogically-opposed ethnicities. It is all part of the ever-present ongoing culture war that is inherent to a representative democracy, and at this level, I have litttle sympathy for someone who cries out against disenfranchisement.

There are lots of people whose political ideas are very much in the minority and will probably never be widely supported; if some of those people believe that their ideas are being discriminated against--that is OK--not everybody is entitled to have their opinions be embraced by the general public by way of law; if some of those people believe that they are being discriminated against because of their ethnicity--join the club, in the context of all American political history, they aren't receiving any kind of special treatment, nor should they; if they think it's about race even though there is equal availability of government services among people of all races--then as I've already established, they've confused the issue. ...and if they want special consideration on the basis of skin color, then they're racists. And there's federal case law that would seem oppose legislation to that effect.

Heck I don't even understand why we are required to have all election materials in spanish. Is it to much to ask that a person learn english to vote? I wonder if polling places in Mexico are bilingual.

lol. my friend recently got her mexican citizenship back and went to the consulate here to get the required paperwork. she speaks spanish as her native language however asked whether they had a version in english, the clerk said that they only have paperwork in spanish. i got the obligatory phone call "why do we have to have paperwork in spanish here while they don't provide it for us there." :angry:

Second, I witnessed first hand at the voting precinct in the Heights a Hispanic woman directly in front of me who was trying to vote. She did not speak any English at all, and she had her 11 or 12 year old daughter translating for her while interacting with the older woman running the sign in table. She was very upset because the woman would not let her vote. While I stood behind her, I listened to the little girl who was translating telling the older woman that the mother had been going from precinct to precinct voting and that she was the first person to not just let her sign her name and vote. That is voter fraud - I have no idea who she was voting for but if I witnessed it and was only there for 30 minutes - I guarantee its happening all over the US. Whether her vote was provisional in all those other precincts and was tossed is not the point. The point is that it can be stopped.

:lol:

Well, I voted in Tanglewood. I happened to be behind an elderly white man who was holding a mannequin. The mannequin was wearing a Palin 2012 shirt and a McCain button but was allowed to vote multiple times with the assistance of the elerdly man. The mannequin even proudly claimed he had already voted over at Second Baptist Church. Now, I don't know who the mannequin voted for, but if I happened to see this, I am sure it was happening all over the US.

Archived