Texas lawmaker: Asians should change their names to make them

HtownWxBoy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/04/09/brown-asian-names/

"Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese β€” I understand it’s a rather difficult language β€” do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?” Brown said.

Just when you thought Conservatives couldn't get any more ignorant or racist.... they prove you wrong.

You mean you have to learn Chinese to pronounce their names? Do I also have to learn Dutch to pronounce "van der Pol"? Brown should be placed into a straitjacket, thrown into a van, driven to the Mississippi State Line, and dumped there. I think she'd fit in better there. :wacko:

You mean you have to learn Chinese to pronounce their names? Do I also have to learn Dutch to pronounce "van der Pol"? Brown should be placed into a straitjacket, thrown into a van, driven to the Mississippi State Line, and dumped there. I think she'd fit in better there. :wacko:

I guess she thinks everyone should have nice, white Christian names.... someone forgot to tell her this is America and we are a Nation made up of people from around the world.

Yet more proof "patriotic" Republicans / Conservatives don't give a crap about America.

If Mrs. Brown would confront the REAL problem here, the illegal use of consecutive consonants by the Polish and Slavic descendants, then I might support her stance. WOJCIECHOWSKI is far worse than YAO. This bimbo needs to get her surname discrimination right.

If Mrs. Brown would confront the REAL problem here, the illegal use of consecutive consonants by the Polish and Slavic descendants, then I might support her stance. WOJCIECHOWSKI is far worse than YAO. This bimbo needs to get her surname discrimination right.

:lol:

As a multiracial Asian person, this doesn't offend me as much as it makes me shake my head...

This is so idiotic. I'm so glad she belongs to them.

I remember back in the 70's, I was just out of college and had my first real job, as a department manager at Kmart. I was working in a store in Brownsville Texas. Customers from Matamoras were wanting to open lay-away accounts, but the space allowed for the name on the form was too short. Mexican citizens are accustomed to using their maternal and fraternal maiden names on such applications. Try fitting Magdelana Teresa Rubio de la Cruz Velasquez Juerta on a space meant for just "Henrietta Johnson". I kept trying to tell the sales clerk to make the customer pick only one name. They all looked at me like I was crazy.

Only in Texas...(Just another reason why the State has such a bad/hick reputation)

Well, Texas ain't the only state with stupid legislators. Look up Douglas Bruce of Colorado for a good example. Oh and don't forget that former Illinois governor (I'm not going to try to spell his name :-) )

although this texas lawmaker needs to "catch up" with the rest of the world, i remember many asian-american friends who had a "christian" name and their buddhist names. they used their "christian" name on school records and in public, their buddhist names with family & close friends. it isn't unheard of for people from other nationalities to take on a second or different name in order to communicate and be understood better.

that being said, an educated society should appreciate the interesting and unique differences from all over the world. take the opportunity to learn something new ms. texas lawmaker. get out some more and hang with non-christian, non-american folks a bit. you might broaden your world view and at least hesitate to say something that make you seem a little....backwoods. ;)

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/04/09/brown-asian-names/

Texas lawmaker: Asians should change their names to make them 'easier for Americans to deal with.'

On Tuesday, State Rep. Betty Brown (a republican) caused a firestorm during House testimony on voter identification legislation when she said that Asian-Americans should change their names because they're too hard to pronounce:

"Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese

You liberals are a freaking joke - what she said was CERTAINLY insensitive, but in your picking and choosing of what to show here on the thread, and the Joke of the Chronicles picking and choosing what to PRINT - the entire issue did not even get printed.

What ACTUALLY happened in the real world, not the media world - is she said that they should simplify their names, because they use multiple names on different forms of ID. They will use their REAL name when they get a SS card, and a Voter registration card - but then they will "Americanize" their name for their drivers licenses and school id cards - She simply said you need to make it more simple - use the same freaking name for everything - A person cant make a name up for some things, and then expect that everyone will just believe they are who they say they are when they try to pass off as a DIFFERENT NAME! Do that at a bank - open an account with one name and then try to withdraw weeks later with a different name on your ID - YOU WONT GET MONEY.

The Chron article was such crap - not even printing the real story of what happened, and in your idiotic fury of hatred of everyone with a

Folks, it doesn't do anyone any good to making sweeping generalizations about people (from both "sides"). It is tiring and nonconstructive.

I'm trying to make my way through the bill text, but it's a little...well, let's just say it isn't the best Friday morning reading :P

Because she said what a lot of them are thinking. I'm a white male who used to be very much a ditto-head. I think that other white males can confirm that when they are around other white males, this type of opinion is given. They just naturally think that I would agree with them so they say these type of idiotic things around each other.

This lady just said it in front of a microphone.

Do I think ALL Republicans are racists? No. But do I think MOST racists are Republicans? Yes. Remember, there was a time when the GOP was the party of Lincoln and the Democratic Party was the party of segregationists. As the Dems became more progressive on civil rights in the '60's, these segregationists didn't just disappear, they just moved over to the GOP as a part of Nixon's "Southern Strategy."

And let's remember the idea behind this Voter ID legislation is to supress the minority turnout in elections. Back in the day they had the "Poll Tax", now it's this. The ironic thing is that they are offending the last group of minority voters that actualy support the GOP in large numbers. Asian Americans were very big supports of John McCain in the last election.

"Barack the Magic Negro" I rest my case.

The term racist now has come to represent ONLY white people. When in reality - I firmly believe that there are many times more Black people who are racist against whites, and Hispanics, than there are remnants of racists who are white. There will always be racism - you cant force people to get along if they do not want to - but each generation of white people is more accepting than the next, and it seems to me the black generations are more and more hostile towards everyone else.

The difference between the two being that a black person can call a white person anything he wants, and its not racist. A black person can call a hispanic anything he wants, and nobody raises a stink about it. Same is true for a Hispanic saying anything about blacks or other hispanics, but a White person GOD FORBID says something that can be DISTORTED to be made even mildly offensive, and they are the worst of the Racists.

Im sick of it - There are racists everywhere - Whites are the only one who are getting torn apart becuase they have been so busy trying to appease everyone else they are afraid to stand up and say no - your an idiot - Im not racist because I dont agree with you, and Im not racist if I dont want to change EVERYTHING in my life to appease you. This country has a history that is being eroded in the name of political correctness - and I for one think its time to stand up and say ENOUGH -

Its not racist to think Obama is an idiot and hate all of his policies

Its not racist to tell an asian person that if they want to vote, they need to have the same name on their picture ID as is on their Voter registration

Its not racist to require ID to vote - its COMMON FREAKING SENSE - otherwise anyone can vote however many times they want.

Its not racist to enforce our laws against illegal immigrants of ANY nationality.

I do not see how in any sense of the imagination its minority voter suppression to require ID to vote - its the ONLY way to guarantee that the person who is voting, is who they say they are, and are ACTUALLY ALLOWED TO VOTE - NEWS FLASH - your illegal - you shouldnt be here - you dont get to freaking vote!

This is NOT RACISM - IVE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH THIS BS

You liberals are a freaking joke - what she said was CERTAINLY insensitive, but in your picking and choosing of what to show here on the thread, and the Joke of the Chronicles picking and choosing what to PRINT - the entire issue did not even get printed.

What ACTUALLY happened in the real world, not the media world - is she said that they should simplify their names, because they use multiple names on different forms of ID. They will use their REAL name when they get a SS card, and a Voter registration card - but then they will "Americanize" their name for their drivers licenses and school id cards - She simply said you need to make it more simple - use the same freaking name for everything - A person cant make a name up for some things, and then expect that everyone will just believe they are who they say they are when they try to pass off as a DIFFERENT NAME! Do that at a bank - open an account with one name and then try to withdraw weeks later with a different name on your ID - YOU WONT GET MONEY.

The Chron article was such crap - not even printing the real story of what happened, and in your idiotic fury of hatred of everyone with a

Thank you for your attempt at rewriting what the lady said. However, her statements are in quotes. We can easily read what she was saying.

Red - again your wrong because you didnt read what she was saying; you read only the quote and not the issue - the paper printed ONLY the quote and not the issue. I am not disputing what she said in quotes, rather when taken COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTEXT it is much worse than when it is put into the context in which it was said. I can pick through words in your post, and only use the ones I want and make you look like an idiot too.

In reading through the posts, I only see one post laced with "idiotic fury of hatred of everyone" in this thread...yours. The rest of them appear to be a rhetorical shaking of the head that elected officals in 2009 can still make such a thoughtless remark.

REALLY? you didnt see it - let me help you -

HtownWXboy - "Just when you thought Conservatives couldn't get any more ignorant or racist.... they prove you wrong."

HtownWXboy - "Yet more proof "patriotic" Republicans / Conservatives don't give a crap about America. "

sowanone -"Only in Texas...Just another reason why the State has such a bad/hick reputation"

20thstreetdad - "Wow. What idiotic district can claim this old bag? I mean, my grandmother would say the same dumb #&*$^"

Is that enough of the "hatred" from your distorted side? Guess you missed those with your blinders on.

I never get accused of being racist. I don't know why it seems to happen to you, but it never happens to me.

I have never once been accused of being racist - but I see white people in public office who clearly are not racist get accused of it all the time because its the Democrats lame lazy way of getting a whole bunch of idiots riled up and protesting out in the street. It works too - you say racist you get marchers, you get the republican party trying to do damage control, the guy ends up stepping down because they are trying to save the party the work of defending him, and then bam - new election plays the comments out of context again and again and the sleezy Democrat is now in office. Ive seen it time and time again. Obama played the race card in his campaign, and no white person is allowed to refute anything b/c its racist to call a black person out for being racist.

This lady is not racist and ANY attempt of yours to try to REWRITE what was said and in what context - is just a blatant lie - what she said may have been insensitive, but it is not IN ANY STRETCH RACIST.

I didnt make anything up or rewrite a thing - you and your liberal friends made the whole story up. Please Please explain to me what is racist about asking them to pick one name and adopt it to make it easier. If you want a long name on your voter registration fine, but it needs to be on your drivers license too.

Sigh. Have you not learned Marksmu, that if your not politically correct than therefore you must be a racists? :rolleyes:

Or, perhaps the stress of being politically correct is getting to him. Political incorrectness is liberating. Kinda like scratching your crotch, it just makes you feel better. It relieves tension. Or, maybe it is because he doesn't smoke. See, when I'm stressed out, I light up a smoke. With each puff, I feel a warm feeling of calmness. For those who do not smoke, some other activity must replace that stress relief, like, for instance, telling n*****r jokes. For those who cannot smoke AND cannot tell off-color jokes, the stress builds up until they explode in an internet forum, often including poor grammar, misspelled words, and copious use of the Cap Lock key.

At least, that's my theory. Others may see it differently.

HEY KIDS! In an effort to be more helpful to your friendly neighborhood poll worker, Betty Brown has developed a 'Betty Brown Approved American Name Generator! Click on the link and type in your crappy foreign name and Betty will give you a patriotic America approved name to register to vote. Go on! It's easy!

Betty Brown American Name Generator

Mine's Billy-Ray "WalMart" Brown. I think I'll put it in my sig. :P

HEY KIDS! In an effort to be more helpful to your friendly neighborhood poll worker, Betty Brown has developed a 'Betty Brown Approved American Name Generator! Click on the link and type in your crappy foreign name and Betty will give you a patriotic America approved name to register to vote. Go on! It's easy!

Oh lol!

Mine's LaVerne "Cracker Barrel" Brown :P

Or, perhaps the stress of being politically correct is getting to him. Political incorrectness is liberating. Kinda like scratching your crotch, it just makes you feel better. It relieves tension. Or, maybe it is because he doesn't smoke. See, when I'm stressed out, I light up a smoke. With each puff, I feel a warm feeling of calmness. For those who do not smoke, some other activity must replace that stress relief, like, for instance, telling n*****r jokes. For those who cannot smoke AND cannot tell off-color jokes, the stress builds up until they explode in an internet forum, often including poor grammar, misspelled words, and copious use of the Cap Lock key.

At least, that's my theory. Others may see it differently.

Classic liberal playbook - cant win an argument because the truth is right there in your face, change the topic. This poor lady has been getting raked over the coals for nothing - just another page out of the left wing spin machine. Its pathetic.

Typical though - try to call me a racist for pointing out the gaping holes in your imaginary land.

Archived