Milo Hamilton gets a street named after him

editor

I'm generally not in favor of naming streets for living (or recently deceased, for that matter) persons. You never know what they might do, or have done, to shame themselves. In this case though I am all for it. Milo seems to be a great guy. He certainly gives the impression of loving what he is doing. That fact that he has done it for over 60 years supports that. Besides, half the effort of renaming this street is a fait accompi.

I know who Travis, Fannin, Polk, and Lamar were. I would protest loudly renaming those streets or any part of them. I'm not sure which Hamilton the street was initially named for. Could it be Alexander Hamilton? I doubt it. I also don't have a problem with the fact that the portion of Calhoun downtown was renamed.

The more American history I read the less I respect John C. Calhoun. I don't think it was wise however, to call the street St. Joseph Parkway. In the first place it does not meet the definition of a parkway. Where is the park? Allen Parkway is definitely a parkway. MacGregor is a parkway and a small part of NASA Parkway (formerly NASA Road 1, formerly FM 528), immediately in front of the West manison, is a parkway - though not most of it.

Further, the thoroughfare fits the description of a street. Other streets running parallel to it are called avenues most notably, Texas Avenue. St. Joseph Avenue has a nice sound to it.

Congratulations, Milo. You are deserving and the fact that the street named in you honor was already leaning that way is evidence of that fact. :D

I know Milo is old school, the Hank Aaron call and what not. But I just don't like listening to him, unless the Astros are losing and he starts to get pissed off. That is funny. His signature signoff..."this ball game is OVER"...real creative. It sucks.

Because the name of the street was already named Hamilton, I have no problem with it.

Especially since the guy is 81 years old...and still mentally impressive.

I once did a longevity report assignment in school. People don't realize what a small percentage of men actually live past 80 years of age(we drop like flies in our 70's). And those who do live that long are usually a psychological/physiological mess.

(P.S. - Just like dogs, smaller guys typically live longer than larger guys)

Milo is actually a very impressive dude.

Archived