Your approval of the President so far

lockmat

President Poll  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Overall, Do You Approve or Disapprove of the Presiden'ts job so far?

• Strongly Approve - Dem
    • Strongly Approve - Rep
    • Strongly Approve - Ind/Other
    • Somewhat Approve - Dem
    • Somewhat Approve - Rep
    • Somewhat Approve - Ind/Other
    • Somewhat Dissaprove - Dem
    • Somewhat Dissaprove - Rep
    • Somewhat Dissaprove - Ind/Other
    • Strongly Dissaprove - Dem
    • Strongly Dissaprove - Rep
    • Strongly Dissaprove - Ind/Other

(1)You have your eyes closed if you haven't noticed that this effect is wearing off really fast. In fact having traveled abroad in the past couple of weeks, that is not the sentiment I detected at all. It was more of arrogance, most recently with his personal push for the Olympics bid for Chicago. People are glad as hell Chicago didn't win.

Interesting, I just got back from Costa Rica where the people kept telling me how awesome Obama is. As for the Olympics, I think it's great that he tried to bring it to the U.S. Plus, if Obama had come out and said "No, I think Rio deserves the Olympics over us"... he would have been called an anti-american, unpatriotic, pos by people like you. The fact is that no matter what Obama does, there are people that will always find fault in what he does... and frankly, it's pathetic. Paul Krugman had an excellent op ed on this the other day The Politics of Spite. I suggest some of you read it.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, I just got back from Costa Rica where the people kept telling me how awesome Obama is. As for the Olympics, I think it's great that he tried to bring it to the U.S. Plus, if Obama had come out and said "No, I think Rio deserves the Olympics over us"... he would have been called an anti-american, unpatriotic, pos by people like you. The fact is that no matter what Obama does, there are people that will always find fault in what he does... and frankly, it's pathetic. Paul Krugman had an excellent op ed on this the other day The Politics of Spite. I suggest some of you read it.

I think the biggest takeaway from that op-ed piece is the ideologues and spiteful radicals on the right have essentially overshouted the conservatives who attempt to bring legitimate concerns to the table for discussion. A good example is in the debate for nationalized healthcare. There are some legitimate problems with the Democrat solution, but with the crazies screaming "death panels!" and other assorted vitriolic speech, rather than the holes in the plan getting filled, the debate has been positioned as an all-or-nothing end game. Rather than the rational Republicans getting their voices heard to help come to equitable compromises, they've been told by the powers that be to circle the wagons and fight the Democrats no matter what. It's a shame. I'm not sure reasoned debate ever actually did exist, but it seems clear this the lowest the quality of debate has ever sunk.

I bet the opinions do range when you consider 3rd world type countries versus the UK, where I was. Even within those places there will be obvious differences in opinions. I just didn't hear a lot of positives when I was there, speaking both from people I actually talked to and from the Sky and BBC morning news programs that were on during hotel breakfast.

Personally, I could care less whether he was there to sell Chicago or not. It just doesn't bother me. I think it would be great if it had worked, and I'm not one of the idiots who thinks it took that much away from his regular job duties. Obama gets the same treatment as every other high profile political figure right now. None of them are immune from criticism, and everything they do will get analyzed and over analyzed. I don't know why you would think this is any different than what's been going on the past 20 years.

LOL. That was good. Especially coming from one of the most liberal shows on TV.

SNL is liberal? I thought they'd excoriate anyone or anything if they figured it'd give them a chuckle or two. It just seems like they're liberal because it's far easier to poke fun at conservatives.

SNL is liberal? I thought they'd excoriate anyone or anything if they figured it'd give them a chuckle or two. It just seems like they're liberal because it's far easier to poke fun at conservatives.

Looks like it was just as easy to poke fun at your "Dear Leader".

Well I will admit it was hard not to make fun of GWB especially as good as Will Ferrell was at impersonating him.  Classic stuff. 

I keep changing my vote between somewhat disapprove to somewhat approve. Even though I didn't vote for the guy, I’m a moderate liberal republican and I think he's done better in some areas than I would have thought such as being more hawkish on homeland security.  Except for his supporting the closing of Guantanamo Bay (I guess to appease the pussified liberals) he has taken a hard line stance against terrorism and countries that just cannot be trusted instead of giving them the keys to our country like many hard-line conservatives were afraid of.  

It's way to early to pass judgment on his bailout plans and the economy yet, though as long as my 457 keeps improving I'm not going to complain. I do hope he starts taking a hard look at our counties growing deficit soon.

I enjoy his non-religious partisan (one thing I absolutely hate about the republican party) but believe he needs to apply more bi-partisan positions in other needed reforms such as health care.

I’m still afraid he’s in way over his head. I just hope he listens to the right people and does not make snap judgments as he has shown he is sometimes prone to do.  He inherited a complete mess caused by BOTH republicans and democrats and hopefully will make the right decisions. For his country, not just his party.   

ps: I was hoping he would have decriminalized weed by now.  ^_^

ditto

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/10/09/nobel.peace.prize/index.html

Obama just won the Nobel Peace Prize.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said.Jagland said the decision was "unanimous" and came with ease

http://www.cnn.com/2...rize/index.html

Obama just won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Well, I know the haters will be all over this. But it does show that, like it or not, Obama has certainly not lost the good opinion of many people outside the US.

It will be argued whether or not he deserves this. In any case, I hope he is able to use this honor to back up his efforts in diplomacy. It would be nice if we weren't forever at the brink of a new war.

Well, I know the haters will be all over this. But it does show that, like it or not, Obama has certainly not lost the good opinion of many people outside the US.

It will be argued whether or not he deserves this. In any case, I hope he is able to use this honor to back up his efforts in diplomacy. It would be nice if we weren't forever at the brink of a new war.

The Fox News message board already has over 1200 comments. The AWPs are going nuts over this.

The Fox News message board already has over 1200 comments. The AWPs are going nuts over this.

Now there are 1347 comments. My god, the comments page is going wild. In ten minutes, there were over 100 comments added, and not many of them were positive.

From Fox News:

Its good to see the liberal democrats finally turn to FOX for the truth...watching MSNBC and rachael MANdow would make anyone throw up....the liberal fruits are still defending 'the joker' for now..but everyone knows it takes months to detox off that koolaid
Great , Now we have affirmative action Nobel prizes. I thought these awards were based on accomplishments not personalities.
What an absolute effing joke! Nuff said, from me.
Are you frekin kidding me? The Nobel Peace Prize? Barack Hussien Obama. Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm.

These guys are making the Chron posters look like Einstein.

Edit: 1413 posts and climbing.

Now there are 1347 comments. My god, the comments page is going wild. In ten minutes, there were over 100 comments added, and not many of them were positive.

These are probably the same people who cheered when Chicago lost the Olympic bid.

Jimmy Carter deserved the Peace Prize. What he did in his presidency + over 2 decades of dedicated, world-wide community service...

Obama... in office only 2 weeks, gets nominated... and wins. And peace? He's managing two wars, right now.

It's kind of a joke...

Jimmy Carter deserved the Peace Prize. What he did in his presidency + over 2 decades of dedicated, world-wide community service...

Obama... in office only 2 weeks, gets nominated... and wins. And peace? He's managing two wars, right now.

It's kind of a joke...

True, it does kind of cheapen the award I think. Maybe they can start doing a red carpet, Sunday night hosted tv program for it now. I think this is more the world giving him the first relevant award that came up as a thank you for dethroning GW, being that there were no other strong cases out there for the peace prize.

It's kind of a joke...

True, it does kind of cheapen the award I think. Maybe they can start doing a red carpet, Sunday night hosted tv program for it now. I think this is more the world giving him the first relevant award that came up as a thank you for dethroning GW, being that there were no other strong cases out there for the peace prize.

No worries, it lost its legitimacy ages ago when they gave it to Arafat and Kissinger.

Well, I almost dropped my drink when I heard that he won.

The fact that the deadlines for nominations were shortly after he was sworn in makes me wonder WHY he won.

20th and BryanS have very valid points. This only cheapens the award to someone that hasn't truly done anything.

I repeat, he has not done anything that would qualify BEFORE his nomination to win the Prize.

Norwegians. The cold finally started affecting their common sense.

Well, I almost dropped my drink when I heard that he won.

The fact that the deadlines for nominations were shortly after he was sworn in makes me wonder WHY he won.

20th and BryanS have very valid points. This only cheapens the award to someone that hasn't truly done anything.

I repeat, he has not done anything that would qualify BEFORE his nomination to win the Prize.

Norwegians. The cold finally started affecting their common sense.

Considering that Hitler has been nominated in the past, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Archived