Closed By Hurricane Ike

IronTiger

I'm trying to get a list of businesses closed by Ike that did not/probably not going to reopen.

H-E-B Pantry Foods, Galveston

Dillard's, Mall of the Mainland, Texas City

Macy's, Northwest Mall, Houston

Target, The Woodlands

also The Magic Island on the SW Freeway.

I'm trying to get a list of businesses closed by Ike that did not/probably not going to reopen.

Target, The Woodlands

Target, The Woodlands

The Target in The Woodlands is rebuilt and open for business. I couldn't believe how messed up it was. A good chunk of the roof came off. I saw pics from inside the store by a guy who was the manager there. I have them saved.

Target, The Woodlands

Also Macy's at Deerbrook Mall is closed until further notice. The roof was torn off of it as well, though they have every intention on reopening soon.

The Target in The Woodlands is rebuilt and open for business. I couldn't believe how messed up it was. A good chunk of the roof came off. I saw pics from inside the store by a guy who was the manager there. I have them saved.

Do share!

I thought it was going to rebuilt as a SuperTarget...or something.

Also Macy's at Deerbrook Mall is closed until further notice. The roof was torn off of it as well, though they have every intention on reopening soon.

Yes. The "Closed by Ike" means that the businesses are gone and aren't coming back. Macy's has asserted Deerbrook will reopen, as well as Almeda. Northwest? Not so.

• 2 weeks later...
Eons? No, I remember it opening about 1985 or so.

Funny, that was one of those places that stayed open for - we'll say 'a long time' - but I never heard of people actually going there. Maybe I just hung out with the wrong non-Magic Island crowd.

Funny, that was one of those places that stayed open for - we'll say 'a long time' - but I never heard of people actually going there. Maybe I just hung out with the wrong non-Magic Island crowd.

I just got a bad mental image of Doug Henning lisping "itsth magic!"

What is/was that Magic Island place anyways? When I lived over there I always thought it was funny that there was a Spynx in my neighborhood, but I never knew why. That's the place with the Spynx right?

What is/was that Magic Island place anyways? When I lived over there I always thought it was funny that there was a Spynx in my neighborhood, but I never knew why. That's the place with the Spynx right?

I thought it was like the Medieval Times restaurants with the 'jousting' and 'wenches' and stuff, except with magicians and illusionists.

It's odd that they would put a sphynx on the building, though. I don't understand the connection.

I had always figured it was a Las Vegas style place (as much as can be in Houston).

From Magic Island's site ~1999 - I love the room names - and a ride on the fantasy elevator to the Den of Osiris! ^_^

From the land of the Nile, there comes to the realm of Houston, a legacy of magic... the mystical legacy of ancient Egypt to Aladdin's Lamp... of the Wizard Merlin to the Maestro Houdini... And now the legacy of MAGIC ISLAND.

Join us on a fantasy evening of elegant dining and dancing, magic and comedy shows, Psychics and Astrologists. Experience a world where elegance, quality personal service and excellence are a way of life!

After a ride on the fantasy elevator, you are graciously welcomed at the Den of Osiris, where strolling magicians will perform while you are enjoying your favorite cocktails.

CLEOPATRA'S CHAMBER

The ultimate in banquet dining!

COURT OF NEFERTITI

The finest in elegant dining for the most demanding of connoisseurs. In Houston, where fine dining establishments have ranked among the best in the country, MAGIC ISLAND stands as a shining example of what true dedication to excellence in food and service can accomplish.

PHARAOH'S RETREAT

Hidden away in our inner sanctum is a private chamber reserved for the discerning few.

Donerakis is going to reopen eventually , i checked with dons kids. back in oct when they werent back open yet.

\

The spindletop at the hyatt DT Apparently was blew off its track and has been closed since, they cant figure out how to fix it is what then MNGR told me. they need to lift it then resettle it . and cant figure that part outl.

Really? Damn!

I thought the Broadway Mickey D's was open again in G-town, but I could well be wrong. Happens all the time.

McDonalds on 61st is also closed. The McDonalds on Seawall Blvd. at 6th St openned right away after the storm. There is also a McDonald's inside the WalMart on Central City Blvd. at Seawall that is also open. We were told that both the Broadway and 61st St. stores will be torn down and replaced with new format franchises in Oct '09.

And BTW marmer, it happens to me too!

Donerakis is going to reopen eventually , i checked with dons kids. back in oct when they werent back open yet.

\

The spindletop at the hyatt DT Apparently was blew off its track and has been closed since, they cant figure out how to fix it is what then MNGR told me. they need to lift it then resettle it . and cant figure that part outl.

they dont want to pay for the repairs,anything can be fixed for a price

I thought the Northside light rail line was going to drive Doneraki out of business - doesn't seem like there's any way it can go through that section of Fulton without some significant property takings on either side of the street.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Did I miss something. I noticed Magic Island is still closed. Did they take their Ike insurance money and run off?

Well, when I went to the website, it redirects me to "CurtMiller.com", a Houston magician who's available for large events. I'm drawing conclusions, alright.

Archived