Plonk! Bistro & Wine Cellar At 1214 W. 43rd St.

danhole

I had heard when they tore down that strip center that a credit union bought it for development, but what else is going to go in there? Or is it just going to be for the credit union? I have heard rumors both ways.

All I've heard is the credit union, and the rendering on the lot sign doesn't make it look like there will be room for anything else. This one's a bit of a head-shaker for the neighborhood - not only did we lose Theater Surburbia, but counting the bank inside the 43rd Street Kroger, we'll have 6 financial institutions within 1/4 mile.

All I've heard is the credit union, and the rendering on the lot sign doesn't make it look like there will be room for anything else. This one's a bit of a head-shaker for the neighborhood - not only did we lose Theater Surburbia, but counting the bank inside the 43rd Street Kroger, we'll have 6 financial institutions within 1/4 mile.

I agree with you on this one...being a newcomer to the area I was expecting better use of land for upcoming Oak Forest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We need more restaurants and less banks! I wonder if they are going to put an eating establishment down at the other corner (43rd & Ella.) I see a sign that suggests that but no progress.

Maybe they could get an awesome taco truck or ice cream truck to frequent the parking lot. We really want a nearby restaurant. Especially one that make breakfast. And/or dessert.

The best breakfast place isn't far from there at all, Frank's on Mangum. Great value, expect to be full afterward.

Supposedly a wine bar is going in near the Starbucks. I forgot the name of it but the owner lives in the neighborhood.

I know there is a bright yellow & orange sign, I think those are the colors, and there is a name on it but I don't remember what it is. A wine bar - how interesting. Hopefully we can get a bit more variety around here!

Oh, and for breakfast/taco trucks, there are a few taco trucks around. One on 34th by Mangum, and I think there is one on Ella close to 610. But you can get good breakfast tacos at Fiesta Tacos on 34th.

The best breakfast place isn't far from there at all, Frank's on Mangum. Great value, expect to be full afterward.

I second that! My dad asks us to take him there every Father's Day! There is always a line, but it moves pretty quickly.

Supposedly a wine bar is going in near the Starbucks. I forgot the name of it but the owner lives in the neighborhood.

I went by there today and the sign out front, facing 43rd, was gone, so I pulled in to look. It is in the corner behind that bank (I know . . . which bank, there are so many. :D ) The name is Plonk, and it says a Wine and Beer Bistro. Hopefull they have some kind of food there. Would be nice!

Thats it! I couldn't remember the name for the life of me, just that it was something kinda funky.

It's behind the Wachovia, which was (until I checked today) for sale. The Starbucks is still listed as for sale though.

Plonk is installing a 3,600 pound stone oven to make pizza and other things. The guy who is the owner has great credetials as a wine sommelier, so that is good. Also suppossed to have an array of beers on tap.

Are you serious that Wachovia and Starbucks are already up for sale? That is incredulous - they haven't even been there very long. Of course with the bank, that was pretty stupid, seeing as we have do darn many around there.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to let you all know how fabulous Plonk is. I went there for the first time for happy hour on wednesday and have returned twice. The owners are local folks with a passion for wine, scooters and all thing steelers. Great selection of wines by the glass and the boyfriend was digging the beer selection. No set menu as of yet but they are doing food on select nights, I had one of the best burgers I have ever eaten there on sunday. Burgers and bubbles are how I like to do my sundays! I recently moved from washington ave and was worried I wouldnt have anywhere to stumble to, Well, there are no worries here.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Corner Of 43rd St. & Oak Forest Dr.
  • The title was changed to Plonk! Bistro & Wine Cellar At 1214 W. 43rd St.

Archived