Home At 10 Legend Ln.

BenH

I can't believe they're still building the damn things. Who has that kind of money to build spec?

In my book, that sort of garbage is almost as distasteful as the slum apartments near my Mod in SW Houston. It's a horrible shame that a Mod is about to fall to a "French" monstrosity.

1313 Mockingbird Lane.

"one-way-in and one-way-out street that dead ends into a beautiful large culdesac over the Bayou."

That one way in and out street ends in a cul de sac full of town homes. Sounds like it would be crowded every day getting out of your little street.

hr2301151-6.jpg

It seems this one owner house was built for H. S. Hayre who is an electrical engineering professor at the University of Houston.

Architect Charles H. Flynn of the firm Flynn & Flynn lives across the street. Both Flynns were licensed to practice architecture in Texas in 1951. They designed a furniture store in Clute and a house in Meyerland on Firth Street (now called Braesvalley).

It seems this one owner house was built for H. S. Hayre who is an electrical engineering professor at the University of Houston.

Make that WAS an EE prof at UH. He died last year. Hence (i guess) the sale of the house.

RIP Dr. Hayre. RIP cool house!

Got my real estate friend to look up the listing. This is quoted from the agent only remarks:

"Foundation on present home built in '59 cracked and severly outdated."

uh oh! it is "outdated," i guess the only choice is to bulldoze it and build a cathedral :huh:

Edited by gnu

Be interesting to see pictures of the house, jus tto find out how bad the foundation is. I can understand the teardown only status if there is structural damage that isn't economically repairable, but shouldn't that be up to the buyer? There used ot be houses on Westview that looked like they weren't repairable due to subsidence on one side of the fault, but this house doesn't look like it has that problem.

I've gotta laugh at loud at Tuscan Homes. Is this REALLY under construction? $2.3 million in this economy in that location when spec homes all over town are finished and sitting on the market waiting for buyers who don't exist?

Good luck with that!

I've gotta laugh at loud at Tuscan Homes. Is this REALLY under construction? $2.3 million in this economy in that location when spec homes all over town are finished and sitting on the market waiting for buyers who don't exist?

Good luck with that!

Three spec homes in my neighborhood sold in the last 5 months...

Of all the places I could live for $2.3 mil, Gessner at Memorial is not the first place I'd think of, even in that awesome new house (especially awesome for fans of The Munsters). I wonder if it has the Grandpa closet and science lab, or if that's extra? Sorry, I'm going for the bad karma tonight, aren't I?

Three spec homes in my neighborhood sold in the last 5 months...

Those 3 spec homes sold for $2.3 million? Were they located right off of Beltway 8?

Sorry, but that simply isn't a $2.3 million neighborhood no matter how many bottles of wine they can manage to stuff into the "wine cellar."

Those 3 spec homes sold for $2.3 million? Were they located right off of Beltway 8?

Sorry, but that simply isn't a $2.3 million neighborhood no matter how many bottles of wine they can manage to stuff into the "wine cellar."

I wouldn't describe 10 Legend Lane as being right off Beltway 8. It's a little over a 3/4 mile drive from the Beltway. $2.3 million is a little high for the area. New construction seems to usually be around the $1 million to $1.5 million. They may be overbuilding for the neighborhood a bit.

It is a great place to live as long as you don't work Downtown or in the Medical Center though. It's like living in the country. You'll wake up seeing all kinds of wildlife right outside your front door most mornings. For people who work in the Galleria or Energy Corridor this is an awesome location.

No, 1.5 or so. I was only responding to say that there is still building and selling going on in certain areas. I have no idea what the market is around the "Munster's" new home. ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's back on the market but without the forced build - $650,000. I was told by the realtor that there is an "interested party" that was waiting for the seller to list.

Multiple homes on this street have already been torn down and new houses rebuilt.Home built in 1959.Cracked foundation. Home is livable. 4 bedrooms,living, den.If potential buyer wants to build later and wants to occupy house make appt. w agent to view. Sold as IS

http://search.har.com/engine/10-Legend-Houston-TX-77024_HAR2176934.htm

• 3 weeks later...

The last house to sell on Legend lane was listed as "lot value only" and sold for $575,000 on 2/23/09 after 49 DOM. I doubt the true value of that lot is reflected in the HCADs market value. I also doubt $650,000 is the true value. I just hope whoever buys it does not build that monstrosity.

Here is a sweet article on "Tuscan Builders" the builders who were supposedly contracted to build the "munster's" home. :wacko:

"TIMELESS BEAUTY * AGELESS QUALITY Tuscan Homes is emerging as one of Houston's premiere custom builders. Dedicated to quality and service, this builder takes the bar one notch higher. Average square footages can range from 2800 square feet al the ways to over 10,000 square feet. The company president, Jason Ritchmond targets the customer's in the custom home market over the $300,000.00 range to over $1,000,000.00. "We are set up to service the more discriminating customer, and we work with them so that the entire process is an enjoyment."

Tuscan Homes builds in the Memorial/Spring Branch, Memorial Area, West University, Bellaire, River Oaks, and closely related areas. Tuscan Homes is also considering going into some of the upper end areas outside Houston, such as the Woodlands and exclusive neighborhoods ..."

• 7 months later...

Still holding strong at $650,000.

large 18,963 Sq.ft. Lot. 147 X 129 Dimensions. Lot in upscale prestigious neighborhood of Sleepy Hollow off Memorial Drive. Town&Country Center shopping, fine dining, exemplary Memorial Schools. Large trees line the one-way-in and one-way out neighborhood. Multiple homes on this street have already been torn down and new houses have been rebuilt. Home built in 1959.

• 4 months later...

Down to $639,000 - new agent I think, too.

This property is located in Memorial in prestigious Sleepy Hollow. Large tree lined cul-de-sac street with one way in & out. Close to Beltway & new City Centre/Town & Country Shopping. New homes on street.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

It sold September 9, 2011. No listings available on Sawbuck or NuHabitat but HAR set the range at $552,001-$627,000.

ETA: The buyer also bought another property from the same seller earlier this year (maybe they're family).

Edited by sevfiv

• 3 years later...

Thought I'd bring this one back with some good news. This house eventually did sell, and the current owners have sympathetically renovated it. Looks very nice now. Don't have any pictures but I saw it about a week ago. 

• Like 1