J.F. Corley House - Large Mod In River Oaks Tall Timbers

BenH

I stumbled across this article while looking through Willowisps' archive of photocopies of old magazine and newspaper articles. A house for J.F. Corley in the Tall Timbers section of River Oaks:

CorleyMansion-HarryTurner.jpg?t=1238859029

Here's the house today:

CorleyHouse.jpg?t=1238859255

It's tucked back on a small, private part of Inverness. I can't remember the address.

The house was designed by Harry Turner and Charles Geyer. They have a few entries in the Houston Architecture Guide, but other than that, I don't know much about them. Thanks to Russell Howard, though, we've found Mr. Turner's former residence. It's one of the mods on Chimney Rock that are such a mystery. Here it is:

House-On-Chimney-Rock.jpg?t=1238858765

Interesting, I admire that mod on Chimney Rock (along with the ones next to it, especially the Asian style on the corner) all the time. How it interacts with the slope underneath it is what intriques me, the most. Aerial map sites show approximately when the bridge was built across the bayou in that location. Imagine it was a quiet road at one time. Nice to know this story, thnx BenH.

Interesting, I admire that mod on Chimney Rock (along with the ones next to it, especially the Asian style on the corner) all the time. How it interacts with the slope underneath it is what intriques me, the most. Aerial map sites show approximately when the bridge was built across the bayou in that location. Imagine it was a quiet road at one time. Nice to know this story, thnx BenH.
Its very nice looking

I stumbled across this article while looking through Willowisps' archive of photocopies of old magazine and newspaper articles. A house for J.F. Corley in the Tall Timbers section of River Oaks:

CorleyMansion-HarryTurner.jpg?t=1238859029

Here's the house today:

CorleyHouse.jpg?t=1238859255

It's tucked back on a small, private part of Inverness. I can't remember the address.

The house was designed by Harry Turner and Charles Geyer. They have a few entries in the Houston Architecture Guide, but other than that, I don't know much about them. Thanks to Russell Howard, though, we've found Mr. Turner's former residence. It's one of the mods on Chimney Rock that are such a mystery. Here it is:

House-On-Chimney-Rock.jpg?t=1238858765

Do you happen to know the date of the article?What yr the house was built?

Do you happen to know the date of the article?What yr the house was built?

The same year #48 Tiel Way was built. The rendering for that house was featured on the same page as this article.

Sorry, I don't always take good notes when I go "chronicle diving". I have no idea what the date on that article was. Must have been early 50s, as if that narrows it down. I made the copy for the rendering of the Gonzalez House! Of course Ben reads all around the rest of the page and sees more cool stuff.

The same year #48 Tiel Way was built. The rendering for that house was featured on the same page as this article.

• The title was changed to J.F. Corley House - Large Mod In River Oaks Tall Timbers

Archived