Houston Methodist Walter & Centennial Tower

Jax

What I liked about the initial concept that it blended and flowed so well with the Research Institute, which is a handsome, well executed quality building. It took the RI's scale and blended it elegantly into the taller structure which would more match Methodist's Outpatient Building which faces Main, which has to be seen as The institution's identity in the skyline. This is what is so sexy. Didn't seem boxy to me. The new rendering doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with the rest of Methodist's collection of buildings. In fact it seems to compete with them. Doesn't it?

• Like 2

idk what some of you are talking about but the first building was boring looking. Not to mention that was clearly a conceptual model. By the way I don't want people complaining on here that all we do is boring plain glass buildings, but defend the boring first rendering as "sleek, and sexy". What is "sleek, and sexy" is this latest iteration. It is visually more interesting than the other and is a more refined design. Stop falling in love with conceptual renderings guys (for any building). All they are there for is to display possibilities, not actuality. 

you do realize the Research Institute (the shorter wave building) already exists, right? what would make you think the first renderings were conceptual when they blend perfectly well with what is already there?

Thought the view Triton posted was the garage at first. This sucks. Also Luminare the first rendering was nothing like what HAIF complains about. No idea where you pulled that one from

yeah dude... :/ thats the rendering i was referring to in my post about the building being as wide as it is tall and the side facade being completely bare.

• Like 2

I don't quite understand the hostility towards this, and the open praise for the silly looking 6 Houston Center?  Neither are great architectural works, yet both are better than other buildings that have been built in this town over the years.

Also, why would any religious imagery in a Methodist afliated institution cause an uproar?

• Like 3

I don't quite understand the hostility towards this, and the open praise for the silly looking 6 Houston Center?  Neither are great architectural works, yet both are better than other buildings that have been built in this town over the years.

Also, why would any religious imagery in a Methodist afliated institution cause an uproar?

I don't know why either. If I was the reason for it then I'm sorry, but not for my comment. I think it's a fair assessment that I made stating that many always complain that we build the same all glass buildings, but because this one a little more curvy then all the sudden it's the best thing ever.

You are right it wouldn't have been any different than any other building in the area or in Houston at all. This one at least now has an identity of its own instead of being some curvy glass tower.

Quite frankly though it's not that big of a deal. I didn't know so many people were so attached to that rendering.

Lets also talk about it relating to the research institute. If both were serving the same function like (research building 1 and now we are building research building 2) then ok I can by that, but this one is a completely different building. It's also not like the research institute was blazing a new trail in Architecture even for the Medical Center. It's quite tame imo and very conservative so I don't see why this new building which is double the floors has to play it safe as well.

I don't know....if y'all really like the other rendering then that's cool. I just have to disagree with that.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

11557_hr.jpg

11558_hr.jpg

this original HOUSTON METHODIST HOSPITAL concept, is a design TOUR DE FORCE!  something that houston methodist hospital has become known for, as per the last decade or so.  not to mention, this particular concept is definitely worth the estimated cost of $540 million dollars... that shall now be utilized as per this very latest concept noted below.  the latest concept, that is indeed dull, and quite uninspiring to say the least.  trust me, we are not trying in earnest to become brash / crude, as per our approach to houston methodist hospital progress.  it is just that houston methodist, has so indeed spoiled us over these decades.. with their state of the art edifice design concepts, never before seen throughout the houston medical landscape.

14113831409_17bdca00b4_b.jpg

Edited by monarch
  • Like 2

I don't know why either. If I was the reason for it then I'm sorry, but not for my comment. I think it's a fair assessment that I made stating that many always complain that we build the same all glass buildings, but because this one a little more curvy then all the sudden it's the best thing ever.

You are right it wouldn't have been any different than any other building in the area or in Houston at all. This one at least now has an identity of its own instead of being some curvy glass tower.

Quite frankly though it's not that big of a deal. I didn't know so many people were so attached to that rendering.

Lets also talk about it relating to the research institute. If both were serving the same function like (research building 1 and now we are building research building 2) then ok I can by that, but this one is a completely different building. It's also not like the research institute was blazing a new trail in Architecture even for the Medical Center. It's quite tame imo and very conservative so I don't see why this new building which is double the floors has to play it safe as well.

I don't know....if y'all really like the other rendering then that's cool. I just have to disagree with that.

You're making connections where there are none. Just because some of HAIF complains about the same type of glass box building (which they have a point) it doesn't mean that the old rendering is the savior of Houston's architecture. Everyone here against the new rendering is saying the first one LOOKED better. You're also being ignorant of other's opinions. What you might think looks great others might think looks like utter shiet, and vice versa. Don't just assume your viewpoint is higher than everyone else's.

• Like 2

Well, I definitely like the side view more than the rendering Triton posted. Like the articulation of floors - reminds me of mid-century modernism.

I don't think the mural is provocative. What does it provoke, other than the recollection that Methodism is a Christian denomination?

The building is ok. I like the nod to mid-century modernism as well, but think the side view makes it look massive. Scale seems "off." That said, I do prefer the previous render.

As for Jesus;

1) Touchdown Jesus. The Catholics should sue the Methodists.

2) Jesus is depicted as "white." Historians and the AME should sue.

3) Jesus doesn't appear to have feet. Did the Methodist Hospital accidentally amputate them? Jesus should call Terry Bryant and sue.

4) Jesus, the name. Sounds Mexicany. Tea Patriots should sue for his birth certificate.

• Like 5

As for Jesus;

1) Touchdown Jesus. The Catholics should sue the Methodists.

2) Jesus is depicted as "white." Historians and the AME should sue.

3) Jesus doesn't appear to have feet. Did the Methodist Hospital accidentally amputate them? Jesus should call Terry Bryant and sue.

4) Jesus, the name. Sounds Mexicany. Tea Patriots should sue for his birth certificate.

Well, I guess if none of those lawsuits happen, they all must have decided to turn the other cheek. :)

• Like 2

The building is ok. I like the nod to mid-century modernism as well, but think the side view makes it look massive. Scale seems "off." That said, I do prefer the previous render.

The First rendering (of the new look), actually grew on me after looking at the details. The second rendering, showing the other angle, made me frown. The design is actually quite fabulous and reminds me of the jetsons. The bulky corner though kinda stinks.

• Like 1

Its a 17-18 floor hospital that will be surrounded by a bunch of buildings and it won't be nearly as bad looking given some time.  Like I said to Luminare - there are only 2-3 really note worthy architectural works in the TMC: School of Nursing, Fayez S. Sarofim Research Building and Rice's Collaborative building (forgot about that one).  Everything else is forgettable.

Also, everyone is forgetting that since the time of the original rendering Methodist has merged and has new hire-ups and different ideas of architectural identity than before.  We should all be thankful that at least this new board of directors is more architecturally sophisticated than whatever MemorialHerman's board is - all those tacky inverted cone/box things all over town - just awful!

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 3

Sorry, this is my first actual post, but I have been a fan and follower of HAIF for sometime now. The inpatient plans and renderings have changed dramatically, according to the article in the Houston Business Journal last week. It looks like the Mary Gibbs Jones building is there to stay, while Favrot Tower, the green space and small parking garage next to Mary Gibbs Jones on Bertner will be going away.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/05/houston-methodist-reveals-plans-for-new-woodlands.html?page=2

Additionally, demolition of the Favrot Tower Apartments has already begun. I wasn't sure what for exactly until I saw the article last week. Here are a few pictures from February when they began to install the scaffolding to the building.

IMG_4522_zps510264d1.jpg

IMG_4422_zpscb2f22a0.jpg

I work nearby and have been walking by almost daily the past few months - watching the demolition progress as they take it down floor by floor. I don't have any pictures at the moment but I will be sure to post some once I have a chance this week. So far, the building looks to be more than halfway demolished.

• Like 5

Merged with who?

I thought they merged with someone... turns out they "bought/aquired" existing Christus hosiptals.  Merger is so commonly overused, and improperly used it makes some news articles confusing when they needn't be.  Apologies.

• Like 1

I don't care what you guys say, I like it. It's simple and clean looking. Not to mention 99% of all Houstonians won't even know it's there (won't be visible from many places) and when they need to utilize the place, they won't give a rats what the building looks like as long as Methodist can fix em! 

• Like 2

The initial building was impressive, but when a hospital looks that good, I start to wonder how much of what I'm paying is going to medical care and how much is going to sleek architecture and an overall corporate atmosphere at a supposedly non-profit facility. Not to keep bringing up Jesus, but he might have raised an eyebrow at the first design.

• Like 1